The new LEICA Rangefinder MP (Mechanical Perfection)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

There are already a bunch of new black paint MP's on EBAY for sale.

That was quick!!

Attached Files:

2. Steve Hoffman

The new Chrome version is the spitting image of the 1954 Leica M3. Totally cool!

Attached Files:

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

I'm likin' the chrome!

4. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, me too. Here is a 1954 Leica M3.

Darn close:

Attached Files:

• m3a.gif
      File size:
      6.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Pure industrial art. :love:
    Wow.
    Dan C

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Attached Files:

• mini.jpg
      mini.jpg
      File size:
      13.3 KB
      Views:
  7. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Dan - that is so cool :cool: and cute :D

All the best - Andrew

8. Steve Hoffman

9. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

This sure is a fine camera, I used it for about 10 years, until I could afford a T-90. Now replaced by EOS-3 and EOS-5. I'm also into view cameras of the Arca-Swiss brand.

People who want a decent, lightweight rangefinder, the Olympus 35RC is worth looking at. I bought one in excellent shape for $80 recently from a camera technician who had serviced it.

http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~yue/misc/35RC.html

Of course it doesn't have interchangeable lenses. Also, the meter battery can be hard to get hold of, as mercury batteries are now banned, but once you have it, it lasts for years.

Those who can afford should buy the Leica of course :)

10. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Had an AE-1 (didn't we all?) 20+ years ago, which now belongs to my wife. I believe the shutter doesn't work and had to fix the mirror foam once.

Currently "use" a F1n with my old FD lenses from two decades ago.

Would the mirror foam rot even in NOS bodies?

11. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

The AE1 was one of the early electronic marvels, IIRC.
    Easy to set and shoot, but also very versatile and fully manual if one chose. It had "chrome" plastic covers to cut costs and bring the SLR experience to many people. A great camera for the novice to serious shooter.

I LOVE the old small Olympus cameras. Their little clam-shell designs were so clever, and the old Pen half-frame line was incredible!

Another venerable and affordable rangefiner was the Minolta Hi-Matic line, which was in production for like 20 years.
    I have a later model, a Hi-Matic 7 S-II, which a friend gave to me a couple years back. I use it for happy snaps now instead of the fully auto point and shoot APS format camera I used before. Great photos, very sharp lens and surprisingly accurate exposures (though it hardly matters with color neg these days).

PS: Don't get me wrong, I'm not delusional here. ;) There's no rival to the Lieca. It's sort of like comparing a Honda Civic to a Mercedes SLK. Both wonderful products with different lots in life.

Dan C

12. Steve Hoffman

Pablo,

Yes, indeed. Foam rots, even in an unused old camera. But, if the foam is replaced, you have a like new AE-1 that will go for 25 years and take great snaps....

13. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Nybody here ever worked with an ALPA ? I never had occasion to but have always been intrigued by them. For plactical purposes I always stuck with the Nikon system Zenza, Rollie and Hassel. Fooled around with a Linhof every once in a while....big!

14. Steve Hoffman

I had an Alpa 10 for a little while. I loved that camera, but they became such collectors items that I sold mine for 25 times the price I paid for it. Great cameras!

15. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Another gas but not in the same league of course was the old Kodak "Medallion" rollfilm camera. Decent lens if I remember correctly.

16. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

My dad had an AE-1/Program (I forget what features were added for the "program" designation). I guess I've just inherited it...I should load a roll into it and try it out.

My current SLR is the original Minolta Maxxum 7000. The only thing I don't care for is the auto-focus: compared to today's far better and faster AF cameras, this one's a dinosaur. But I have lenses, and am very familiar with using all its features, so I hate to part with it. Unless the newer bodies will fit my lenses.

Most of my photos today are with my digital Olympus point/shoot. Target hasn't seen me for processing in two years. Takes great images, and the best ones end up on the web anyway. I can print 4x6's with my HP Photosmart printer that rival anything I've printed at Target. Bought the Mrs. a Minolta APS camera, which does take very nice pictures for its size, but it has hardly been touched since the digital came along.

I'm not all that familiar with the Leicas. What format does it shoot? I've always wanted a Pentax 645....my favorite photography is landscape.

17. Steve Hoffman

Oh, Rudy.

The Leica was the first 35mm camera. The Leitz Camera guy invented 35mm photography. Below is from the Leica History page:

Leica! All over the world this brand name evokes an image of pioneering achievements in photography and the uncompromising pursuit of the highest standards of quality. Well over 100 years of tradition in precision manufacturing and countless innovations and inventions have steadily reinforced this world-wide reputation.

It was with the invention of the Leica camera in particular that our company had a major impact on the history of photography. As it was so often the case with ingenious inventions, the original idea was simple and logical: small negatives- large pictures

Oskar Barnack, who was the head of design and development at Leitz in Wetzlar was an eager photographer who had long dreamed of a handy camera as an alternative to the heavy plate cameras of that era, the likes of which he had all too often laboriously carried to interesting picture spots.

That motivated him to build a small experimental camera body designed to use 35 mm motion picture negative film instead of heavy glass plates, and he simply doubled the standard motion picture frame size to arrive at the format of 24 x 36 mm The Ur-LEICA was born!

A number of years later it went into series production as the LEICA (LEICA = LEItz + CAmera). Its handy size permitted fast, often unobserved photographs from virtually any position and it allowed the photographer to blend into the surroundings.

The basic tools for the now emerging photojournalism had been created and with them, an entirely new picture aesthetic. Sustaining a constant flow of outstanding performances in the design and manufacture of Leica products required an uncompromising emphasis on quality.

The chronology of the Leica System

Oskar Barnack works on the design of a camera for 35 mm motion picture film. The result materializes early in 1914 with the legendary "Ur LEICA", vindicating the concept "small negative large pictures"

1914 -1925
    " Barnack's camera " is patented and later goes into production It is introduced to a broad public at the 1925 Leipzig Spring Fair.

Leitz introduces the first 35 mm still projector.

The Leica receives a threaded lens flange for interchangeable lenses; The 50 mm f/2 5 Hektor sets new speed record.

The LEICA ll or D with a built-in, coupled rangefinder is introduced.

Another milestone in lens speed: the 50 mm f/1 5 Xenon.

The LEICA M3 with its bayonet lens mount heralds a new era.

18. -=Rudy=-

Aaaah...history in a nutshell. ;) Gracias! For some reason I thought this Leica was a medium format. (My subscription to the photography magazines expired a few years ago, and I've been out of the loop. ;) )

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

It was brilliant photographers who took up the Leica in the '30s who set the standard for documentary photography that we all still follow today.

Many of those images made their mark in LIFE and Look magazines. It took almost 30 years for newspaper photographers to retire the 4x5 Speed Graphic and take up 35mm as the standard. Hard to believe, but there was a lot of resistance from the old timers and the press men at the time.

Dan C

20. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Canon AE-1 vs. AE-1 Program

The difference between AE-1 and AE-1 Program is the program :)
    I.e. you can set AE-1 Program to select both exposure time and aperture automatically. Don't use it, make your own decision about the exposure time and have the camera select the aperture. A good starting point is to set the time to 1 - 4 times the focal length of the lens in mm.

The AE-1 Program has a brighter finder (you won't find such a bright and large finder image in present AF SLRs by the way), and it has a problem fixed where you could inadvertently change the ASA setting when you wanted to change the time setting (in the AE-1, the time setting and ASA setting are on the same wheel, while the AE-1 Program has these settings on separate wheels, and the ASA setting is locked.)

21. -=Rudy=-

I figured it was some kind of AE automation. Dad used to use it in full-blown program mode, though, and really took some nice photos with it. He had always wanted to get one of Canon's wide-angle "L" lenses, but never did. I could probably get some affordable lenses on eBay if I wanted to.

On my Maxxum, I have often used the feature to override the shutter speed, setting it manually and letting the Maxxum select the aperture. When shooting in bright light outdoors, I would set it so I could get maximum depth of field, especially when doing something like the Grand Canyon, when I wanted an object in the foreground to be in focus, having the canyon be in focus as the backdrop. And other times doing the opposite--forcing a shallow depth of field to "pop" an item into the foreground. (I'd set aperture manually and let the camera set the shutter speed.)

I don't have the patience right now, but in the future I'm going to work more with setting all exposures manually. I usually only putt around with the SLRs when I'm shooting landscapes. With kids around, I like taking quick one-off shots with the digital, and putting them online or printing them out for anyone who wants one.

22. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Those Leica's are beautiful and razor sharp.
    I really like non-SLR cameras.
    I've been using my Mamiya C330 twin-lens reflex for a number of years and it does fine. No longer made, it was the only TLR with interchangeable lenses....
    [​IMG]
    Mamiya's also have very sharp lenses and the larger negative format also helps. One nice aspect about TLRs and rangefinders, too, is that without the reflex mirror flopping around you can take stealthy pics without shutter noise.

Here is a shot of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse I took with it awhile ago...

My personal dream camera is Mamiya's rangerfinder model, the
    [​IMG]
    Mamiya 7 II

6x7 cm format, interchangeable lenses, ergonomic, great cool factor.... :love:

Ere

23. Steve Hoffman

Have any of you actually seen a chrome Leica MP in person yet? No one has one for sale anywhere. Just curious...

Attached Files:

24. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I don't think they have hit the shops yet - everywhere is pushing the black bodies (which doesn't look half as nice IMO . Aren't you going to wait for the Titanium bodied version Steve ?

All the best - Andrew

25. Steve Hoffman

Heh, yeah, titanium. I'm sure they will do one. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm just curious to try one; I have five M6's and that's enough...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.