The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Whomever recommended Night Demon deserves a round of applause...killer NWOHM style!
    Grab the expanded edition of Darkness Remains.

ian christopher likes this.
  2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I really wish it would be properly re-released. It's not available for streaming either.

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Listening to Acid Bath. What a band.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Damn right.

Halted due to the death of their bass player. Dax Riggs has put out some great music since their demise. Sammy Duet has done the same (to a lesser scale IMO).

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Poor Audie, killed by a drunk driver.:(

GodShifter likes this.
  6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

7. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

The flute is a (heavy) metal instrument..........

[​IMG]

(Tull was considered to be the "Hard Rock" portion of the award. Ian said that it felt more like a lifetime achievement award as he felt the academy didn't quite know how to categorize them.)

ian christopher likes this.
  8. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

I can't believe it's 2019 and artists STILL can't manage to reissue albums that were released on MCA 30 years ago.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. bartels76

Well they hate that album as well so there is probably zero effort to do something with it. It was also on Mechanic Records distributed by MCA so it could be legally tied up as well.
    I had this on CD - the original Mechanic Records issue and sold it which was stupid. It's the only album I like by them (I do like the other vocalist's voice better). I then bought a reissue of it but thought it sounded really bad so I sold that too.

10. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

I mean, the album just sounds really bad. It's very difficult to believe that the guy who recorded it would go on to become one of the most influential producers in metal history, but that's what happened.

And I wouldn't necessarily say the band hates it—the impression I've always gotten is that they're not happy with the sound but like the songs, and they want it to be available. They didn't work on that cheapo One Way remaster from 2002, but they grudgingly promoted it because they wanted it out there. Unfortunately, One Way went under about 30 seconds after it was released, and it's been unavailable in the U.S. ever since.

11. bartels76

I sampled some of their more recent stuff and those albums don't sound great either. It's got that generic Pro-tools compressed metal sound to it.

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

what album is that?

ian christopher and GodShifter like this.
  13. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

They haven't used an outside producer since Falling into Infinity, and it's to their detriment. The sound on their albums has been very bland ever since.

14. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Agreed. Falling Into Infinity is their best sounding album.

15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I still remember hearing the first Dream Theater album on the local college radio station I listened to in high school. The DJ had just seen them in NY and picked up the album. She was blown away that a metal band could use keyboards. I really have a soft spot for this album.

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Yeah, who are we talking about here :confused:

Matthew Tate and ian christopher like this.
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Flotsam & Dream - Cuantro from 1992 on MCA got reissued on Metal Mind, maybe they don’t want it reissued (Dream Theater). It’s not on I-Tunes

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Matthew Tate and ian christopher like this.
  18. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Better song that Painkiller - less strain in Rob's voice

four sticks and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. ian christopher

Does residued refer to the oft-mentioned sound quality issues with MCA products?

Brenald79 and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. ian christopher

Doesn't Mechanic hold the rights to Voivod's Nothingface and Angel Rat - two compact discs that regularly sell for $25 plus on Amazon and are out of print - with no word on a date for reissue?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. bartels76

When Dream & Day Unite by Dream Theatre

Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  22. ian christopher

MCA had a lock on many of the inventive heavy bands in the late 80's/early 90's

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I see the MECHANIC logo on my original CD's of Nothingface, Outer Limits and Angel Rat. All three were reissued in Japan last year.

https://www.amazon.ca/NothingFace-V...1546633319&sr=1-1&keywords=voivod+nothingface

Brenald79 and ian christopher like this.
  24. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Metal Mind also reissued Voivod's The Outer Limits and Diamond Head's MCA albums a while back, but I'm fairly certain all these releases were limited editions.

Brenald79 and ian christopher like this.
  25. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Yes sir. Away has mentioned many times that trying to get ahold of these albums for reissues has been an ordeal.

ian christopher and Matthew Tate like this.