The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

I really wanted to like Black Star Riders, but they just never did it for me...

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The Cage = record company pressure to chase the $$$$$$$$$$

Pouchkine, Doggiedogma and Curveboy like this.
  3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I've been listening to their catalog via the MCA Years box set and man The Cage is a brutal comedown.

Pouchkine, Doggiedogma and carlwm like this.
  4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

You know that is a damn good song. I don't own any of their stuff and maybe I'm off on my thoughts on them. I fell like they are a band taking the piss and not true believers. I guess I should look into them a little more...

5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I dug it out of a dusty old box of vinyl this morning (surprised I still had it!) and I've enjoyed listening it again. I've got them all up to and including The Wreck Age so I might have a bit of a Tygers binge and see where I think it fits within the catalogue.

Curveboy likes this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Steel Panther are taking the piss (big time), H.E.A.T is a solid melodic hard rock band.

Curveboy likes this.
  7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That was my fave UFO album for many years. Still one of the best albums ever - period. It dropped from my #1 UFO spot though in favor of 1995's Walk On Water (mostly just for the song Venus which is an astronomical achievement of Schenkerian shenanigans).

Trillmeister and Rose River Bear like this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

1st album is pretty weak IMO. The rest are better. Still nothing to shout from the rooftops about (like say the last two Diamond Head albums - or even the last Last in Line opus) but not bad.

9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

10. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Classic UFO is like Fawlty Towers: however black my mood, its encountering invariably cools that tug to introduce Mournblade and plonks me straight back to better days, old friends and endless mead.

11. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

[​IMG]

I finally got around to purchasing this. Excellent disc.

Curveboy, weekendtoy, Purple and 2 others like this.
  12. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Motley Crue confirmed that they reunited and officially announced that they are back by literally blowing up the Cessation of Touring agreement that they signed in 2014.

The band's reunion has been subject of rumors lately and it heated up even more when Rolling Stone claimed that unnamed sources "confirmed" that Motley Crue, Def Leppard and Poison are planning to team up for a major tour.

There was renewed interest in the band following the release of their Netflix biopic and the Machine Gun Kelly (real name Colson Baker), who played Tommy Lee in the film, shared his excitement about the reunion.

He said, "Since playing Tommy Lee in The Dirt, so many of my fans have said how they wish they could've seen the real Motley Crue play live. I never thought I would see the day when this would become a reality. But the fans spoke and Motley Crue listened!"

The tour with Leppard and Poison has not yet been officially confirmed. Watch the band blow up their Cessation of Touring agreement.

Slash-n-burn and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Wait. Were we supposed to believe that agreement was serious? :laugh:

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Believe no. Hope yes!!

Jimmy Agates and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The Ferrymen A New Evil is excellent. A must for Primal Fear fans I'd say.

My favorite track: My Dearest Fear

16. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Impressed by the vocals - nice mix of grit and higher end. Only wish the production was a little less bright.

Digging this tune a lot though.

Curveboy likes this.
  17. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Revisited Accept's last studio opus The Rise Of Chaos - what a killer disc. I probably rate this the best of the 3 since they came back with Mark Tornillo.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Trillmeister

Excellent prompt, Jimmy - that's my Sunday service sorted, then. :righton:

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I've actually been on something of an extended Accept kick since I saw them live last year, slowly but surely getting reacquainted with the whole catalogue up to their second split with Udo. This band made some of the greatest metal you can wrap your ears around. Powerful as all get-out, blending commanding melodies with Teutonic rage, they were class all-round. Baltes/Hoffman/Dirkschneider - furiously iconic metallic triumvirate.

20. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Anybody given the New Opeth album a solid listen? Thoughts?

four sticks likes this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

four sticks and bherbert like this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

imo the first album with mark is the best

Curveboy likes this.
  23. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

24. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Fantastic album. I've had it on regular rotation since release day.

bherbert likes this.
  25. Trillmeister

I'm trying to compose a list of metallicism that can be posted off to the dude in red with the fluffy beard but hot dang, it's proving difficult.

There are literally thousands of albums from hundreds of bands I either dig - or could - but yet would be entirely speculative so that's kind of stopping me pull the trigger on going "yeah, that one, too, Santa, please!"

It's like Amon Amarth and Overkill whose back catalogues are sizaeble yet mildly pot-lucky as to whether or not I'd be inserting gold or that which is citrus to taste.

And this is my big problem with Metal.

Unlike many, I stopped serial acquiring decades ago and this meant two things. 1 - artists who I liked when B J McKay and his best friend, Bear were still a-rollin' continued to make records to this day and 'Priest and Accept aside, that's a whole lotta catch up to undertake and 2 - the explosion in 'new' bands and sub genres (basically anything from the very early 90s) means I feel like Stanley Baker's character at Rourke's Drift, perceiving the massed ranks surrounding me and wondering how the buggery am I ever going to get through this lot?

So what I've been doing for the last few years, slightly egged on by the denizens of this Metal hall, is to randomly dip in where a posted clip suitably inspires and tbh, the results are mixed.

Amon Amarth are a good example because whilst some of their stuff is genuinely spoon bending, there are chunks (even whole albae, like [the] Fate of Norns which is a bit, er, laborious.) Overkill who I liked in the late 80s have an even bigger body of work to cogitate over and with this mob, again, musical inconsistency was an issue then so how do you dip into a pool of over a dozen unkown records with such peril dangling overhead?

Production quality, also, is a consideration since bands who've recorded over thrity years worth of output will invariably have spawned sonic turkeys as well as bullseyes and when considering what was going on in the 80s and 90s, this is a very real hazard for the unwary - and that's before we get to the issue of remastered reissues which may or may not be an audiophile's hatchet job.

So you tap into Satan's web and I guess, just gamble.

Apologies for the ramble!