The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. killer_b_killed

killer_b_killed Stoic Reflector

The most recent 2 Gojira albums are much easier to get into than their earlier stuff if you're not a fan of super-harsh vocals. I'm in that camp myself, but can't stop playing Magma or Fortitude.

Stormrider77, four sticks and fretter like this.
  2. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

From the press release:
    The vinyl is kept in a gatefold sleeve that shows off newly commissioned artwork by longtime Dio artist Marc Sasso. The same artwork is also used for the four-CD Super Deluxe Edition.

"Longtime" is subjective as Mark Sasso's first Dio cover was 2002's Killing The Dragon.

Album Covers & Design — MARCSASSO.COM

Holy Diver credits:

• Illustration by Randy Barrett
      • Original art rendering by Gene Hunter

fretter likes this.
  3. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Wow! That guy hasn't missed a beat. If I had the gold, I'd commission him to paint me a Rubens sized version of the cover theme.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

I’ll never understand why ‘Killing The Dragon’ got reissued with alternative artwork, and now it seems it was by the same artist. The original was perfect as it was.

5. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Krokus' side of the story is that they didn't like the final product. Fair enough. And this was in 1982.

Jimmy Agates and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that is what they said but you still have to pay something even if you don't like what is delivered and they never denied threats were made by their manager to dee's wife

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

noname74 likes this.
  8. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Without a written contract, if there was none, I would think it be difficult. I would imagine many artists who wear stage costumes have rejected certain outfits. Maybe it was a situation like your grandma made you an outfit and you hate it. There was a lot of love in it but you just can't be seen in it.

Edit: Maybe Krokus just spent the money elsewhere :ignore:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Blasting this pounding ride:

[​IMG]

Testament- Dark Roots Of Earth

Amazing album. More thrash-y than the previous album or two with all kinds of amazing guitar riffs and hooks. Chuck sounding as strong as ever with his vocals.

Any other fans?

Anthrax, kyouki, Ingres3225 and 6 others like this.
  10. noname74

On platform heels for the singer?

:D…that was mean…I semi-apologize! :laugh:

Matthew Tate and fretter like this.
  11. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Heels rejected by Dio and Maiden to boot.

Matthew Tate and noname74 like this.
  12. Matthew Tate

i agree but they admit they accepted the clothes and state they burned them. said they didn't like them and weren't going to pay and admit they received and had a bonfire. so the fact they accepted delivery means they should have paid. then when they were questioned about paying dee and has wife say the bands manager made threats to his wife, told her they aren't pay the stuff has been burned by them because they didn't like it

Jimmy Agates and fretter like this.
  13. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

of course! huge Testament fan and that is a really good album.
    still loving their newest album as well. they have never let me down once with any album of theirs.

14. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Affirmative.

Although this weekend will be largely spent in the company of Voivod's 2022 release (unique genius welded to majesterial splendour beyond pretty much any and everything which I immediately love even more for being in a jewel case) alongside some 'Pirate Metal' infused with crystal coconuts.*

(* I checked out this CD on a PC and The Great Monopolist wanted the thick end of 20 quid. Using an alternate 'device,' Beelzeebos's website thought I was in Sherwood Forest and offered it for 8; considering it's the most lucrative operation since Midas gained his touch, it remains to this schmuck little more than a great, multi billion dollar Rock 'n' Roll e-swindle.)

[​IMG]

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Preview track from the upcoming DIO Holy Diver 4-disc set, a remix of the title track. (see dedicated thread for more info).

I really like the extended ending, no fading out on this one.

fretter, Matthew Tate and 100423 like this.
  16. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Man, I used to love these guys, but I just can't un-read what Chris said in that text chat, so I'm afraid I'm out.

17. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I forgot that part.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. noname74

What are you referring to? There isn’t anyone named Chris in the band that I know of..

19. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Referring to Alestorm, their frontman, Chris Bowes, was revealed to have said some spectacularly racist things in a group chat a while back, and I just can't see the band in the same light now.

kyouki and noname74 like this.
  20. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I thought it was just Dee being Dee - he does seem to have a lot of problems with other bands...

Matthew Tate and rebetis like this.
  21. Matthew Tate

dee said he forgives them but will ask his wife if she does

22. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Nearly finished Voïvod's Synchro Anarchy and what an addictive platter of time changing anti-rythms.

Like Lemmy, Snake is hardly the world's premier tennor but packs copious charatcter and some tonal variation sufficient to romp past the finish line of final victory.

There's so much to love but it feels like Away's drum patterns fix me hard into the primary generator.

The Prog sensibility is strong with this one but the Metal drive is rarely abandonned; just outstanding material, an easy 9/10 and a side helping of breathless wowza.

weekendtoy, KristianS, Mordax and 3 others like this.
  23. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Fantastic, Ou sound great. Just ordered their debut "One" from Inside Out Music. Read they are the first band from China to sign with a major Western label.

Jeff Kent likes this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think The Wake is a stronger album overall, either way Voivod has been on a roll lately.

ian christopher and Trillmeister like this.
  25. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Listened to the St. Elmo's Fire (1985) soundtrack earlier. Track 2 is an uptempo song called "Shake Down" written & performed by Billy Squier, and engineered by Bob Rock.

Matthew Tate likes this.