The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Dutch, enormous thanks for this recommendation.

I bagged the rereleased twin CD set Universal Migrator Part I & II and it is an instant two hours plus of indulgent, superlative magic.

Arjen Lucassen is patently a visionary.

:edthumbs: :cheers:

2. Trillmeister

Also from this reference, we can extract that ageless contention - namely, Bruce's treatment in the 'Maiden mixes post-Birch.

Listening to him soar - yes, soar - as per the classical air raid siren of auld, on the Ayreon track (from 2000) then compare directly with his tones on the contemporary Brave New World and once again, fans can be left feeling short changed by the antics of production personnel aboard the mothership after the dawn of the Millennium.

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Her latest album is great IMO. Love it all except for a cover a Queen song that I think is awful.

The whole album has a lot of great guitar playing on it courtesy of guests like Kenny Wayne Sheppard and Warren Haynes and her own very rocking backing band. And her voice is still killer. Most of it is original songs but there are several covers including a great cover of Trower's Bridge of Sighs.

This is probably my favorite song on the album (opener Greed):

This is the kind of music I want my #1 axe hero Michael Schenker to make. Catchy melodic hard rock songs with a great vocalist (& songwriter) with his guitar then taking things to the stratosphere. Instead of the totally forgettable non-melodic chugging boredom he's come out with lately. Sigh.

And here's Bridge of Sighs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNUiifM2lA

That reminds me, I am going to have to go back and listen to Schenker's cover albums. I'm pretty sure he does a Trower song but can't remember which one off top of my head. I can't force myself to listen to most of his recent releases again but there's always those cover ones to get a "new" dose of Michael that I don't remember everything note for note by heart etc like I do with UFO or his early stuff.

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Some Savatage tonight.

5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I was listening to 38 Special,some Grateful Dead,Slayer,then an audience recording of Iron Maiden Nagoya 1981.This is the complete show that the Maiden Japan EP was taken from and not the radio broadcast the following night.And yes this is peak Maiden melodic thrashing punk at crazy tempos.

6. Trillmeister

:righton:

I've just spooled up Killers and you can count me in for this very characteristic; the band was just infectious back then; pre-everything, this was the organic underground breaking through and delivering sheer, unadulterated mana.

Where it all began for me with this lot.

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Same here, saw the album in the racks/looked at the back, knew that they were one the chosen "ones" from the entire NWOBHM scene and give it a shot. I thought it was very good but not quite mind blowing except for a few tracks. Have to remember it was 1980 and it was competing against some major genre classics for me.

ian christopher likes this.
  8. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

I just posted about this in a separate thread about 80s compilations, but it is obviously relevant here. We've talked about 80s metal comps that influenced as and introduced us to bands and everything. This one here was one of the biggest for me. Several years ago, I went about tracking down a nice sealed copy on vinyl, just because I needed this piece of my music history in my house.

[​IMG]

9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Just throwing out there that Eddie Jackson does not get nearly the praise he deserves as a bass player...

The Needle Lies (Live)

10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i just got the hail mary release of the early 90's demo's. this is the band leatherwolf . changed their name around 1992. i'd liken it to the armored saint album symbol of salvation

11. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

When people think of classic Queensryche it's pretty much Tate's vocals. I completely agree though regarding Jackson, a very rock solid bassist, and I would add that Rockenfield is also underrated/overlooked. Darn good drumming on the first five albums.

12. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Cranking this now on Spotify. Never knew this happened/existed. Leatherwolf were officially one of the best of the era.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

i'll read the liner notes and see what info it gives. i know they changed their name because of grunge

14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Another reborn 80s thrash band, Toxik

15. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Toxik killed. I'm definitely down to hear what they have to offer in 2020.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

They share a drummer with another reborn 80s Thrash band, Heathen...the mighty Jim DeMaria.

17. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Nice, I'm not always up on members/names, but I'd rank Victims of Deception in my top 10 thrash albums ever.

William Smart likes this.
  18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Jim is a dialysis nurse and used to own the company that did dialysis at my hospital. He joined Heathen during Covid and plays on Empire of the Blind. On some of the tour dates he's playing with both bands.

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

This is the original Denmark press from 1989 and has a completely different mix than the version released in North America. Great album.

[​IMG]

20. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

I stopped following Tool after Undertow, Sober maybe. So looking for some recommendations. I just downloaded Fear Inoculum & Essentials but hungry for more. Really digging Carey. Thanx Gentlemen.

paddrino and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Never say Die! - Black Sabbath

22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Where did you order it from?

Jimmy Agates and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

24. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Aenima & Lateralus are about as close to perfection as you can get, IMO. 10000 Days & Fear Innoculum were a bit ho-hum.

Stormrider77 and William Smart like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

a few sellers on ebay that get stuff from that label have it for salr or i think you have to go to the labels website