The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Well I just don't get how you can avoid the issue; I've been really careful with some recentish additions but the song remains the same and stuff rips, tears and/or simply wears way too easily as repeated opening and closing takes a toll; I've got CDs from the early mid-80s that are 100% in tact yet examples as just cited appear in very sorry states after no period at all.

I think my record time for damage was the last AC/DC release snapped up on impulse at a supermarket which had been designed by a record co. accountant who clearly fetishised about polyester to an addictive level because the cardboard sleeve thing meant the only person extracting le disc 'sans rippage' probably had to be a very slight, female neurosurgeon.

It's got to the point where albums arriving in jewel boxes are now heralded with a mild jig.

Thanks for the tips but I guess I'll simply buy additional copies to enact the 'one to show, one to go' creedo. Madness but that's Satanism for you.

Anthrax, fretter and Mordax like this.
  2. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

No idea, maybe they counted it for being familiar name for the customer base already.

3. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

I’m completely with you, I detest digipaks and I won’t even comment on the despicable folded over cardboard option.

In regards to your buying multiple copies for “one for show, one to go”, do you listen to the actual cd if you want to hear an album? Nothing ripped to a hard drive/iTunes?

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Make believe you're a neurosurgeon, small, delicate and very precise maneuvers :D. Don't be like Jerry's date :cool:.

weekendtoy, Trillmeister and Mordax like this.
  5. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I’m going to say something and, for some, this might be really painful. It’s about how I deal with CDs these days. For those of you who insist on keeping digipaks, time to look away.

At a certain point, I ran out of room to store CDs. In looking for another solution, I eventually settled on these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FTJL7...olid=326CKTUPKKHXR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Lots and lots of these. It took a long time, but I eventually swapped just about everything out.

When it came to digipaks, I sliced them up and made them fit into the DiscSox. My resale value on digipaks in particular is next to zero now, but since I have no intention or desire to sell them, I don’t care. The main goal of gaining space was achieved.

Of course, now I go nuts for box sets and that’s creating its own space problems, but like they say... first-world problems.

Anthrax and Mordax like this.
  6. Mordax

Mordax Forum Resident

I have Sympathetic Resonance and like it a lot. I've never even heard Winter Ethereal so if it's even better I have some good listening coming my way.
    Thankyou both for the pointer to this one. I'll try to get a stream up and running soon.

7. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Scorpions: Live Bites

Jumping over to a live album. This is a really fun album. High energy on this one.

(From DROffline MkII) (Scorpions - Live Bites )
    [​IMG]

Anthrax, Tarot Man, ganma and 3 others like this.
  8. I don't have that many digipacks / cardboard jobbies, but I have thought about getting rid of jewel cases and putting the CDs in those slipcases. They end up looking like mini albums.
    Would save loads of shelf life....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. I was at that gig.
    Nearly cought Nicko's drum stick when he lobbed it into the crowd at the end.
    Alas...it slipped through my fingers.

Anthrax, slipkid, fretter and 4 others like this.
  10. Matthew Tate and Trillmeister like this.
  11. Trillmeister

:biglaugh::righton:

Deuce66 likes this.
  12. Trillmeister

Glory days, Grazziano.

1988 was their Donnington headline year and I also bore witness at Whitley Bay of all places during that epoch.

:edthumbs:

13. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

“I’ll bring you Lightning To The Nations!”

Diamond Head’s 1980 debut album finally gets the remastering it deserves, with this new edition. Yes, there have been umpteen reissues over the years (and I’ve bought a couple of them), but this version is definitely the best sounding of them all.

It still sounds gritty, electric and true to its roots, but with much improved audio, based on a back to back comparison with the previous 2011 cd edition.

For more thoughts on this edition, drop into my blog review here;

Diamond Head – Lightning To The Nations (2022 Remaster) (*****)

14. Strange one though.
    I've watched it back a couple of times and enjoyed it but I do recall at the time thinking for the first time...they seemed like they were on auto-pilot.
    Maybe it was the bigger arena?
    Previously I'd seen them at the B'Ham Odeon or Wolves Civic and I much prefer those type of venues.
    Have never really liked the N.E.C as it was called back then...and didn't like it much recently (2015!!!!!) when I cought Def Leppard and the old tart Coverdale.
    They was though, as you say, and Mr Springsteen...Glory Days.
    btw
    Best gig ever attended was in 1988.....Priest at The Powerhouse in Brum. Basically a club gig, supposedly to reacquaint themselves with their long forgotten U.K fans.
    Simply an incredible memory.

15. Trillmeister

Ditto for 'town hall' type venues or as you suggest, even more intimate locations where we 'selective' audiences could best drink it all in. So many memories...

Anthrax and Yam Graham like this.
  16. Hard to believe Lee Aaron is 60 years old now!!!!
    I remember reading about her Reading appearance (1983) in Kerrang.
    Been a fan ever since.
    From her new album....

rebetis, Tarot Man, ganma and 3 others like this.
  17. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

There is a US and Argentinian version of PWR/UP that came in a jewel case. I got the US at WalMart even after I got the Japanese version because of how much I despise digipaks.

Anthrax, Trillmeister and Gus Tomato like this.
  18. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

I remember reading Kerrang's review of this gig, days before I caught the tour at Edinburgh Playhouse.

That was my first live Priest gig, and probably one of the best, even if the RID album was hit and miss.

Yam Graham and Gus Tomato like this.
  19. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Same here, I happily waited for the Argentinian jewel case version to arrive. Tesco down the road tempted me with the regular digipak but I won in the end! :laugh:

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Their new album "Innate Passage" is out today :righton:.

Roberto899 and 100423 like this.
  21. Square Hammer

Square Hammer Forum Resident

Ashes of the Wake by Lamb of God is an incredible album IMO. The guitar work and drumming is breathtaking. Possibly my favorite metal album.

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I need to listen to Winter Ethereal again. I found Sympathetic Resonance to stick with me more, but both albums are still terrific accomplishments. I was also glad that Winter Ethereal wasn't just a retread of Sympathetic Resonance.

23. Trillmeister

:uhhuh: That was the sucker I fell for; how the hell major acts with major labels can market their wares so shoddily after all these decades baffles me.
    What a joke that you have to be sufficiently clued up re global territorial packaging variations in order to avoid buying a storage recipticle with all the structural rigidity of a Lancia Beta after a winter in Reykjavic!

Anthrax and Gus Tomato like this.
  24. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

to these ears, Winter Ethereal included several lighter breakdowns, even bluesy/folksy biSts, that were an interest counterpoint to John Arch's vocals. the SR album seemed pedal to the metal all the way through, and was a bit heavier that I prefer.

Mordax and Ristifer like this.
  25. Trillmeister

Just spent over and hour and half foolishly thinking the England football team might serve up something vaguely redolent of an inspiring display: I really should know better - what a terrible waste of not-imbibing-Metal that was!

Remedy?

[​IMG]