The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

I don't have a problem with KISS merchandise or their 'hustle', you gotta make money, and it's a good hustle, and no one's forcing fans to buy it. My dislike toward Simmons and Stanley comes from how they come across. Like @ian christopher, I am basically proponent of capitalism, gotta make the money to make the music, especially nowadays when making money from the music (streaming, records, touring) is becoming harder.

2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

3. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

My biggest issue is with somebody only liking 2 out of the first 3 KISS albums :D :biglaugh:

4. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I have the Kiss Double Platinum greatest hits album and that is all the Kiss I'll ever need.

5. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Never mind all this KISS talk, the 2004 Megaforce 'twofer' Cufk You And Then Some / Feel The Fire Overkill [reissue] is like The Force now with me.

Been playing 2010's Ironbound quite a bit this week so will be fascinated to hear what a much younger Bobby sounded like (I only got on board in the late 80s and originally missed these earliest assault attacks.)

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

some quality remixes ideas on there like "black diamond", "hard luck woman", and "she" with the "rock bottom" intro tacked on but its missing so many great tunes from the first few albums like "nothin to lose" which was the bands first single, "tomorrow and tonight", "parasite", "got to chose" and "shock me" plus how the heck is it missing "shout it out loud" which to me was better than "rock n roll all nite"

7. Me too. I don't care how good people think that Erik Gronwall is, I will never attend a Skid Row concert unless Sebastian Bach is singing.

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It Never Goes Away

9. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I would recommend just getting Alive if someone want the hits from the first three albums.

Not like anyone cares but I have Alive, Destroyer and Love Gun, (and maybe Rock and Roll Over), and of course, Sonic Boom and Monster. I've had everything else at some point, but their albums are just too inconsistent.

weekendtoy, fretter and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Trillmeister

I don't feel Paulie gets sufficient feting for his vocal prowess; when he's good he's pretty darn great - nice track, Curve - thanks. :thumbsup:

11. Matthew Tate

i think the first 6 are all great. after that it gets sketchy

12. Trillmeister

Wow! Just zapped on 'Rotten To The Core' from Feel The Fire.

OK so it's a bit demo-spec sonics-wise but like 'Maiden's debut, there's a redoubtable slug of bass to the overall presentation which was badly lacking on some of their more polished, professional stuff just a few, short years later.

This bodes damn well and I can't wait to crank it over the next few days.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'd give that comp a 75% grade, it's missing quite a few essential tracks imo.

weekendtoy and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Agreed. I'm glad Skid Row finally figured out their singer issues and got themselves their much needed, long overdue Bach clone. But I'm not interested in the band without Bach there. The new guy can sing, no doubt, but Bach's performances on those older albums still give me goosebumps. The guy was on something else.

Also helps that the songwriting wasn't pure crap.

15. Matthew Tate

solinger wasn't that far off from having a similar tone to bach

Ristifer likes this.
  16. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

True. But it feels like they really went for it this time.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Solinger was great, and Erik is great fronting the band right now.
    Bach coming back would be a step backwards....he doesn't have it anymore to handle singing those songs and actually sounding great, plus he's a tool.

sad that people can't get over Bach being out of the band since frickin' '96! they've done plenty of other great tunes. check it out and get over Bach being
    fired....good grief, haha.

weekendtoy likes this.
  18. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I think all the members of Skid Row are tools, honestly.

I agree it would be a step backward, but I don't really care about the band otherwise. That's just how I am, I guess. If they hadn't changed singers like their wardrobe, then it wouldn't have been such an issue. Their songwriting still needs a kick in the behind. The new album was an admirable effort, I'll give them that. But it's still just generic rock music at the end of the day.

gitters and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Matthew Tate

i have everything they've ever released but bach is still to many people he's still the face of the band. i've seen bach 3 times in the last 15 years. he sounds good live to me still. my favorite part is the band saying bach was hard to work with so they had to drop him. i guess the same answer applies to
    matt fallon
    johnny solinger
    tony harnell
    zp theart

not to mention the 5 drummers they've had prior to the current drummer

Stormrider77 likes this.
  20. MechanicalAnimal6

Matt Fallon was fired because they didn't think he was a good fit anymore after hearing Bach
    Johnny Solinger was let go due to personal reasons that i won't discuss/mention here because i think it's quite private
    Tony Harnell left himself
    ZP was fired just because he wasn't agreeing with the rest of the band on things dealing with the new album

5 drummers? i only know of 3 besides the current one, and Rob didn't come back after they got back together so that's on him, and then Phil left, and i thought Dave Gara left as well.
    so it's not like the band is firing all these people, some left on their own. after meeting the guys once, and seeing interviews and things over the years, i think the only difficult person in Skid Row now is Rachel, but it is his and Snakes band, and Snake is more laid back, so Rachel is kind of like the Paul Stanley of the band. for me, Scotti is the coolest guy in the band for sure.

how many people has Sebastian gone thru? probably about the same amount

i saw him live once and he behaved like a spoiled little child, yelled at his guitar player cause a string broke while in a the middle of the song and so some notes weren't quite right,
    and then he stormed off and only played 55 minutes as a HEADLINER and then when i legit asked him to play some solo songs of his cause i loved Angel Down and Kicking and Screaming, he singled me out and yelled and said "no one wants to hear that crap", so he doesn't even have faith on his own material. and then people were asking for songs from Subhuman Race and he got all pissed off about that. he literally played 3/4 of the debut and then 2 or 3 songs from Slave and that was it. the owner of the venue went back to talk to him after he left early too and said they were on contract that he had to play a minimum of an hour and 10 minutes and she told us that he refused to come back out.

i've seen Skid Row with Solinger twice and they played 3 or 4 songs form his era, so 1/3 or so of the show, and i saw them once with ZP and they did two songs from the Solinger era and i believe they are doing 3 or 4 songs form the new album with Erik at some shows.

everyone should check out the Thickskin album, the two United World Rebellion ep's and the new album, The Gangs All Here (which is just a song/album title, simple as that...not like some people are claiming that they are false advertising and claiming that the most popular lineup of the band is back....good grief)

okay, i just realized i'm just rambling now, sorry, haha, just a HUGE Skid Row fan and am beyond sick of hearing/reading "fans" saying silly stuff like "it's not Skid Row without Sebastian",
    it sounds like a broken record.....that was thrown out.....back in 1996!!

alright....rock on people and give the post Subhuman Race stuff a chance!

kyouki and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Matthew Tate

i saw bach 3 times and the only time he didn't play any solo material was the STTG anniversary show i caught. the other two shows he played 4-5 solo tunes

gitters likes this.
  22. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

23. MechanicalAnimal6

guess my show was a rarity then, but yeah, his setlist was only songs from the first two skid row albums and he behaved like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum multiple times.
    never had an issue at any Skid Row show though :shrug: :edthumbs:

ian christopher and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Matthew Tate

I’ve seen skid row twice with solinger and it was enjoyable

ian christopher likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

heres the shows i saw. i forget they were festival shows so shorter sets but you can see he played solo songs. you can also look but on the tours until 2019 he was playing a lot of solo tunes

Sebastian Bach Setlist at M3 Rock Festival 2014

Sebastian Bach Setlist at Jaxx Nightclub, Springfield

ian christopher likes this.