"The Old Grey Whistle Test" DVD with an amazing John Lennon interview!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

"The Old Grey Whistle Test" DVD

Got it as a Gort Gift and it's amazing. Wait 'til you see the Edgar Winter Group doing Frankenstein. Those guyz rocked. And Rory, and Elton, and all the punk stuff and the baby U2, and Lennon.

The best thing about the DVD is the interviews at the end; Robert Plant, Bruce, Mick, Keith and John Lennon. In fact the John Lennon interview is so touching, so sad and exhilarating all at the same time that it really moved me. He's homesick, defiant, funny, smart, sad, wistful, tough and so well spoken that it really took my breath away. If you haven't seen this interview, you must get this.

Back to my sick bed now....

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Sounds interesting!

I hope that you are feeling better soon...

Bob:)

3. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Random note (that I feel like randomly pointing out because nobody answered/knew what I was talking about when I was asking this way back when).

The US DVD has fewer performances and a lower audio bitrate than its UK counterpart. The UK disc is PAL (which doesn't matter with computers, and most newer DVD players can do decent conversions) and is Region 0 (playable everywhere) AND is really cheap at amazon.co.uk. So you should get that instead of the US version.

The UK Volume 2, however, is Region 2, but still cheap and still excellent, worth it for the running commentary track option on all performances. I particularly dig the almost non-stop assault levelled against Argent as they play "God Gave Rock 'n Roll To You" (one of my least-favorite songs *ever*).

4. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Well, any audio bitrate increase is going to be offset by the lesser sound of my PC speakers versus my real home theater.

Also, while there are more US players that do PAL->NTSC conversion these days (typically unadvertised), I'm not sure if 'most' is an accurate assessment.

One of the most popular interlaced "players" that does a great job with R0 PAL->NTSC is the Microsoft XBox.

I will look into the R2 discs, for the added performances. Thanks for the tip. :edthumbs:

5. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Can the Pioneer 563A do this conversion?

6. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

And the US DVD does not have the New York Dolls. 'Nuff said.

7. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

:)

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Sadly, this is the big difference between a VH1 nation and a BBC one. In the states, you can't say anything bad ever, and in the UK, it's more fun (and brings in advertisers rather than repelling them) to talk trash to the artistic nonsense.

We need more grit to go with the love-fest we see. I can swear Alice Cooper on VH1 isn't really speaking his mind on certain 80's bands...

The Whistle Stop interview is a great one and is also seen (in partial) on John Lennon's (WB) Imagine movie. I thought the interview with Keef was priceless too.

9. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Re: "The Old Grey Whistle Test" DVD

I had the pleasure of seeing the Edgar Winter Group three times. The first time with Ronnie Montrose on guitar and the next two times with Rick Derringer. You are right. They rocked. Big time.

10. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

R2 *disc*...the first double set is R0, and just as expensive as the US disc after shipping, and PAL/NTSC conversion aside there're more performances on the UK set.

I agree. I mean, it's not that they're mean to Argent in particular...the guys seem more to dislike the kind of faux-populist anthem that is "God Gave Rock 'n Roll To You." And Russ Ballard's cheese-guitar (you'll see).

One of the guys also takes a lot of crap for knowing Messers. Henrit and Rodford. Thank god he didn't mention that those two are *Kinks* now, or he would've gotten ragged on even more!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.