The Old Man with Jeff Bridges on FX / hulu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark Forum Resident

You sound even pickier than me, & there's nothing wrong with that! :laugh:

No HBO since the mid/late '80s & as I don't stream I won't see them that way. If/when I find either/both complete cheap I wouldn't mind watching them.

I really just don't watch much TV at all, & haven't for decades. Years of working 2nd or 3rd shift weaned me almost completely of the TV habit, & I never got back into it, so I just lost a lotta patience for the medium overall.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  2. Dalav

Dalav Forum Resident

Really enjoying the show and have no problem with the pace, which seems appropriate given the character’s age. And the interaction with Zoe felt right, especially the glimpse of her caution, sadness and fears, which can pile up over the years.

Black Sails was one of my favorite shows of the last 10 years, partly due to the ruminative and sometimes lengthy dialog and monologues from the same writer that I recognize here in certain scenes. It’s not for everyone, but the words land perfectly for me and the style works with the show’s slower pace and older cast.

I do have a couple quibbles, such as Chase not ensuring the paid assassin was dead. That’ll come back to bite him. Although, I suppose it could be considered another error to illustrate that he’s rusty and imperfect at his craft, similar to not disposing of the silencer in the earlier episode. That’s fine if it dents the invincible-killer stereotype.

Not 100% liking the actress playing the young Chase’s wife, but that could simply be bias—as her character is such a nasty piece of work in Condor, another show I enjoy.

Looking forward to tonight.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Really enjoying it. I love "slow burn" if the acting is great like Better Call Saul for example.
    Humourous (I hope) aside.. in one of the fight scenes, was anyone else hoping Jeff would say "Not now Cato, you fool!"

5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Zoe's house is really nice.

carrick doone likes this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Neighbors tipped me off to this just yesterday, and we watched the first two last night. Quite good. Hoping it's more intrigue than violence, more LeCarre, less Peckinpah - that could end up a deal-breaker for a pleasant evening's viewing.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    EricSwan and smilin ed like this.
  7. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

This series should not be renewed. It should be limited and wrapped up in 7 episodes so it doesn't become long and drawn out like The Walking Dead.

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The violence so far has been fairly mild—nothing made my wife or me turn our heads!

Dillydipper likes this.
  9. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Zoe gave the old man some tough options, do you think they are justified?

carrick doone likes this.
  10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Since you are 'picky', I just had to ask if you are watching Better Call Saul or have seen Breaking Bad? Those are two excellent drama/dark humor type shows. What We Do In The Shadows is another top notch show that is current and strictly comedy -seen that?

Sprague Dawley and proedros like this.
  11. Bluesman Mark

Nope. I pretty much just don't spend my time watching most TV, episodic, "reality", or whatever.

I've got thousands of movies to watch, thousands of books to read, over 10K CDs to listen to, & countless models to build, so besides not having much of an interest in watching TV, I really don't have the time, nor the inclination to get into TV overall. I can find better & more enjoyable ways, (for me), to fill my time than TV.

And before anyone pipes up with "You don't know what you're missing.", yes I do & that's why I usually prefer to miss it. It's simply not for me, by & large. I don't go around telling others "You don't know what you're missing by not building models." I simply acknowledge that their interests & mine diverge there.

Since last Monday I've had the right lobe of my thyroid removed, & in the interim since then I've finished The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan, & started & completed The Late Great Creature by Brock Bower & Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans by A J. Baime, I'm currently rereading The Ranger, the 1st book in Ace Atkins. Quinn Colson series, (I plan to reread the entire series this summer, in amongst other books), & I just started Alex Finlay's The Night Shift. I tend to read between 2-4 books at a time.

We've also made 2 trips to Omaha, (roughly an hour+ each way), since Monday, (not including the trip up there for my surgery Monday), done some shopping & relaxing, listened to music, (of course), watched 2 movies, & I've worked on 4 models.

Where would I want to fit much TV watching in there, & more importantly, why would I want to? For me, there's far more pleasurable ways to spend my time. I do give some shows a chance, but just as with novels, if they can't grab & keep my attention in some way & within roughly 20 minutes, then I move on to something more interesting. And it's not a matter of fast pacing; it's how the story is told no matter the pacing.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  12. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I'm totally with you on the anti -TV thing, it's easy to relate to given the state of garbage on TV.
    I cherry pick shows and download files from the internet to watch, and I don't download very much, FWIW the shows I mentioned are truly top shelf and worth whatever effort it takes to watch them.
    Barry is another must watch, totally excellent show.

Sprague Dawley and GMfan87' like this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Justified in her mind, yes. We'll see what happens...

14. Bluesman Mark

They may be worth it to you & that's great, but they likely wouldn't be to me. I honestly tend to get annoyed by TV in general when it's on & therefore avoid it for the most part. And that includes internet watching.

In my case, TV is usually nothing more than an annoying waste of time. There are the occasional exceptions as I've mentioned, but usually it's just an annoyance at best.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  15. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

I don't watch much mainstream episodic TV anymore, ABC, CBS, NBC, just don't have time for it and it is PG anyway. But I do have time for FX. They have great, gritty shows; the Shield, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Mayans, Mr In-between, and others. The Old Man is along those lines, great acting, locations and production. The first four episodes have been very good. Not too happy with the ending of episode IV didn't see that coming and don't really think it's necessary. (Not mentioning the details as some have not seen yet). Will be interesting to see what he does about it.

16. Bluesman Mark

Of all those the only one I could stand was Justified, & I watched & own all six seasons, though I will admit that I never heard of Mr In-between, let alone saw it. But then, unless my wife watches something, I tend to have little/no idea what's on, what's popular, etc.

I did give The Shield & Sons Of Anarchy a shot, & I can understand their appeal to many, I just wasn't someone that cared for either show at all. As The Mayans is a spinoff of Sons it holds no interest to me due to that.

Cupids_bow likes this.
  17. Cupids_bow

And with Harold suspicious of Emily, it'll be interesting how he's going to flush her out.

18. Cupids_bow

Justified is great, I own all the seasons too. Olyphant was perfect for the role of Raylan Givens. Also great performance from Walton Goggins, been following his career since The Shield.

Mr D and Bluesman Mark like this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

Thinking about it, you know Amy did save his life by letting his two dogs loose. It's not like she's just a leech and blackmailing him. She actually might be helpful in the future. But, this show is giving me a "Tinkor, Tailor" sort of vibe so I'm not sure of anything..

carrick doone and Cupids_bow like this.
  20. Cupids_bow

You're right, I forgot about that. The writing has been great so far, I hope it holds up until the finale.

21. Steve Hoffman

We'll see (Shrugs). I call it a gift so far.

Amy Brenneman is a really intense actor, ya know? Everything is visible on her face. She's that way in real life as well! Why I started watching the show, just because of her.

sberger and Cupids_bow like this.
  22. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I'm not sure but I love the reaction from Jeff Bridges. You see him express, with small micro movements in his face, his rage and the complexity of what is being presented to him. All tight shots on him and nothing wasted or out of place.

Amy's reactions to being in the car with Jeff was brilliant. Although I thought the presenting of this option seemed a bit soon, everything her face and body told us about how she was feeling being with Jeff leads to that end moment. So good.

Cupids_bow likes this.
  23. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Please stay in you own hate tv thread and leave the discussions of specific shows to those of us who are watching. I can’t imagine I’m alone in not wanting you here or any show thread since you bring nothing to the conversation.

24. Bluesman Mark

Sorry, but my thoughts & comments are just as valid as anyone else's here, pro or con. You don't get to be the arbiter of who does or doesn't get to post anything here, especially if the posts are one's you disagree with. I'm sorry you feel you have to march in lockstep with others & seem unable to handle comments that differ from your thoughts or opinions.

If you dislike my comments so much, or they somehow cause you some sort of distress, then simply feel free to use the ignore function on my profile. I promise you I won't have a millisecond of concern over that. I can also tell you that I'll happily & gladly grant you the same courtesy once I post this.

Ironically I had made the last post I intended to in this thread a few days ago. If you hadn't quoted me to chide me for airing a dissenting opinion, I wouldn't have even glanced at this thread again. So you're to blame for my response.

Good day... :tiphat:

unclefred likes this.
  25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i thought she was good enough in 'heat' for an oscar nomination. it can't be easy playing off robert deniro.