The Old Man with Jeff Bridges on FX / hulu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

your argument is weak sauce because you state you like movies. taking away commercials (easy to do in this era), what's the difference between a show and a movie?

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Intention of the best exhibition medium, I would guess.

The sofa should not be the be-all and end-all of cinema, if it's a given that sitting in a darkened room with strangers is a part of the effect. Nor should you be trained to expect pacing targeted towards breaks in the flow of the program. You can watch a film on a sofa, but it's not going to be the same overall experience if that's the same place you just changed a diaper, folded laundry or read the daily news just minutes ago. You can watch a television program in an auditorium, but that doesn't mean you won't be aware of the compromises the filmmaker made to make that cinematography look more effective in a more limited setting.

You can take away the filmic quality of digitally-sourced/projected titles that make it onto your cineplex screen. You can spend ridiculous dollars trying to recreate Siskel and Ebert's fake theater in your McMansion just to show your friends how "you don't need a theater". But there's always a difference in both the nature of the product, and the nature of the environment (as well as the nature of the expectation), that separates the two mediums. Even if it's just where you parked the car.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  3. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Simple. I don't have to devote time to watching a movie like I do these ongoing series that take too much time to tell a story. I'm sorry, but if it's based on another work, such as the novel this was based on, there's absolutely no need for it to take an entire season. Hell, a four part mini-series captured virtually every scene, line of dialogue, character & nuance of Lonesome Dove perfectly & that was an 800+ page novel. The novel this was based on is less than half that & they somehow need an entire season to tell it's story? The fact that they've already renewed it for a 2nd season makes me wonder if the already glacial pace is going to slow to a crawl, or perhaps go in reverse? Or they're gonna wander away from the novel into something else entirely even if they tell it all in the 1st season.

With a movie, I get a couple of hours or so of entertainment & I can get on with my life, knowing I don't have to wait until the next episode to find out what's going on. There's nothing more annoying than getting into a series & discovering it's just a waste of my time, (season two of The Following is a great example).

And since that tends to be the rule rather than the exception, (for me, if not for anyone else), it's just easier to avoid them entirely for the most part, though there is the occasional exception that proves worthwhile, but that's exceedingly rare.

I gave this one a shot, due to the casting of Bridges & Lithgow, & because the premise appeared interesting. I'm glad I discovered it wasn't for me as rapidly as I did, but I still wasted about an hour & a half of my time on it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

You watched one episode and part of the second. You made your opinion known and announced your intention to stop watching. This week will be Episode V. You have nothing more to add to the discussion of this show. Good day.

5. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Goodbye.

Riktator likes this.

6. But you have enough time to tell us you don't have time.

Got it.

7. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I wish that actual fishing was that easy. ;)

8. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Heat is another great movie, the bank shootout is one for the ages.

GMfan87' and slovell like this.
  9. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

The USMC trains their recruits using those scenes.

Cupids_bow likes this.
  10. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Only six episodes this "season". :shake:

11. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I think 7. Their ad states, only one more episode before the season finale.

tonyc likes this.
  12. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Having watched the first 4 episodes my take lines up with yours. I enjoyed the way it's developing. Not too slow at all, and I am sometimes affected -- put off I should say -- by plodding plot development.

Like you also, Bond, Marvel and comic book stuff, and most action movies leave me cold. Where I differ is horror -- love it when it's good, which is not often. I loathe most bloody gore fests, violent cruelty orgies, etc., but if it's a good ghost story, mystery, demonic haunting and the like, I'm there. But those are usually story driven, not the 'jump scare' stuff that's typical.

13. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Yes. Six weeks seven episodes. I forgot the first week was a double.

I guess they were pretty confident about a renewal. It seems no way there will be any sort of resolution in the next two weeks.

14. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

It’s been renewed for a second season.

15. Cupids_bow

Have you seen ep 5 yet? The writing is still on point.

Riktator likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Been watching STRANGER THINGS with my kids, so, not yet. Will watch over the weekend. Looking forward to it..

Myke, Scope J and Cupids_bow like this.
  17. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

:bdance:

18. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

The downtown robbery/gunfight is a surround sound reference sequence. Just amazing sound quality.

carrick doone, Myke and Cupids_bow like this.
  19. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I'm really enjoying this series and could care less if it's a little slow.

20. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It seems very thought out from the long scenes of intense dialogue to the photography of how certain scenes are shot.

I know she is not the main lead but I think Alia Shawkat is the star of the show. She is nailing every scene and the entire series hinges on her character.

21. Cupids_bow

I agree, the airplane dialogue with Lithgow was intense and she held her own. I was impressed.

Crack To The Egg, forthlin and tonyc like this.
  22. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

watched first 2 episodes , 2 observations (neither good)

so let me get it right ,
    dude makes scrambled eggs and the lady wets her pants for him ? come on , why did you have to put that stupid love story

also it would be the laziest of laziest writeup if
    the younf agent - is this maybe from AD ? - turns out to be his daughter

not keeping high expectations , will keep on watching it nevertheless for Lithgow

ps : the love story scenes are so corny and cliched , this show will never take off with 1/3 of its time spent on corny lovey dovey cliched storytelling (sigh)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Yup.

24. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I was watching Ep 5 this morning and thinking similarly. It is a bit slow, but it's very interesting. I'm enjoying all of the performances.
    I'm all for action-packed thrillers, but it's nice to see something different now & then.

tonyc and slovell like this.
  25. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

the love story scenes are bombing this show , hoping that amy brenneman gets killed or left behind sooner than later

damn Hollywood , and its lovey dovey corny shows