The Old Man with Jeff Bridges on FX / hulu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Jun 18, 2022.

1. I tell my boss 'no' quite often. He's the manager but I'm the tech.

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Is he the owner?

3. No.

4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

So, I'm the first to comment on this last episode? I watched it this morning. I still think it's a great show. Looking forward to the season finale but I get the feeling nothing is going to be resolved.

carrick doone and JohnG like this.
  5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

We have enjoyed it despite some unbelievable (in real life) plot twists. It is an acting tour de force. Looking forward to its conclusion.

Myke, carrick doone and tonyc like this.
  6. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

Started watching it last night with my dad. Three episodes in. I’m liking it a lot. We’ll finish the season tomorrow night.

So yeah…I’m watching “The Old Man” with the ol’ man (heh)…

forthlin, jpelg, Myke and 3 others like this.
  7. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Yes! If the casting was otherwise, it'd just be another "thriller", fine for a time-waster etc.

carrick doone likes this.
  8. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Enjoying it a lot I’m glad I stuck with it

episode 7 is finale ??

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

IMDB shows a total of 7 episodes for this season.

10. ed carter

ed carter Forum Resident

Crikey, I had to stop after episode 5. It was fun in the beginning, with dynamite actions sequences, and nice to see an old guy action "hero." But man, did this bog down in endless, pretentious psychobabble and navel gazing. The characters going on and on about how they feel and (much, much worse) "who they are." Telling you everything, baldly stated, instead of showing you. And too much to stretch credulity: an old Afghan warlord has this kind of power? Can't the CIA just take him out? And all this, because Bridges' character ran off with his wife? (maybe there's more we haven't been told yet) And Bridges heals faster than any 72 year old in human history.

11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Yeah I got 4 or 5 episodes in and couldn’t take anymore. It is just too slllllllllllllloooooooooooooooowwwwwwww. I either dozed off or would be browsing the SH.TV forum. So I gave up and I’m not coming back.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  12. Myke

I'll never understand why anyone takes the time to post in a thread that's about a TV show, movie, or recording that they don't like ?
    Are we supposed to consider the poster smarter than us ? That they have better taste than us ? I don't know.
    In this day and time for entertainment choices there's barely enough time to watch, and listen, and read things I am interested in, let alone taking the time to criticize things I don't like.
    Strange.

13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Criticism is essential to art. Rare would be any work that in analysis does not have flaws. Criticism would be worthless if it were only allowed to express the positive.

14. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Write an action movie or show. Instead of casting a bodybuilder or an MMA fighter, cast an actor. What a novel idea...

ronbow and Amnion like this.
  15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Given how the show is about past choices, current regrets, and how that informs present actions and accountability, it is amusing to me that anyone would complain that it is too talky or full of navel gazing. I think is strikes just the right balance—and plenty of action in the most recent episode for those who only want that. For others, I expect yet another mindless actioner will soon be released.

JohnK

16. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

I plan to watch Gray Man, on Netflix... I love the books, was hoping for a series rather than a movie. I hope it's not just action-soaked.

dmiller458 likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Really enjoying the show.
    Bridges always seems to sell me on a show, and this one's no exception

maui jim, Myke and Amnion like this.
  18. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Yes, take Jeff out it's just OK.

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. Myke

Mark Lindsay's Facebook postings about the film using his "Silver Bird" recording got me to add it to my list.

Amnion likes this.
  20. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Hate to go further OT but you like the books?

21. Myke

Haven't read them.

maui jim and Amnion like this.
  22. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Book was great imo. Def worth your time

ssmith3046 likes this.
  23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

In case you missed it, Hulu's approved the show for a second season.

We got the tip on this show early in the season, so at least we didn't start "binge-mode": I tried to hold my wife back to just one episode at every sitting. Sometimes I would hold off until she was drowsy, so she wouldn't want the next one right away, or I'd insist we watch something else first (this can be great marital advice, by the way! ;) ).

So I'm glad I got us to at least stretch it out...and I'm so horked I can't stand it, that Amazon let Night Sky peter-out with just one season! :mad: Outer Range, too! :disgust:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    maui jim likes this.
  24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

What exactly is your idea of a show that is not slow and that you like. I'm interested.

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I haven't watched the show but I'm three chapters in on the book. If I'm not mistaken the old man is 60 years old. Holy cow! To me 60 years old isn't old. I was running six miles a day when I was 60. Oh well, now I'm 69 and I've cut back on the milage and I'm starting to understand old but a lot of old is mental. I'm enjoying the book so far.

maui jim likes this.