The Old Man with Jeff Bridges on FX / hulu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Jun 18, 2022.

1. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I've only just notice that this is coming. I'll have to take a look, thanks.

JohnK

Amnion likes this.
  2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Well, that didn't end, it just stopped.

Vidiot, George P, ex_mixer and 2 others like this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

If the Dude had the Old Man’s efficiency, the Bunny Lebowski case would have been over in 15 minutes. And the streets would have been littered with dead nihilists.

misterdecibel, unclefred and ubiknik like this.
  4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yep, disappointing conclusion but I guess we get a season two.

George P, jpelg and unclefred like this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

One season was enough.

hbbfam likes this.
  6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Good cliff hanger. Show definitely lost it's way a little from the first great couple of episodes, but still held my attention with the story line and of course the Bridges/Lithgow/Brenneman trifecta, and I'm all in for season 2.

7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I can name several…..

Bosch and Bosch Legacy

The Lincoln Lawyer

Goliath

'05Train and jlocke08 like this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Bosch I still have to watch. Haven't watched LL.

Goliath was a favorite, but interesting that you didn't find that slow, as I know several folks who had that complaint of it.

Different strokes I suppose.

Myke likes this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

FWIW, I liked Lincoln Lawyer, loved Goliath, but I'm a big Billy Bob fan, right down to his obscure films on DVD (bought many moons ago).

sberger likes this.
  10. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

With you there, as I mentioned earlier, without Bridges/Lithgow, just another show.

'05Train and Riktator like this.
  11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Depends on who the leads would be. Certainly could be said of countless shows/movies over the years.

Luckily for us we don't have to worry about that.

Amnion likes this.
  12. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Absolutely. Exceptional actors can save so-so material.The obverse usually doesn't work :winkgrin::winkgrin:

Steve Litos likes this.
  13. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

There is a lot to like about this show. My big complaint is I think the writing was somewhat lazy in the sense that the numerous flashbacks were unnecessary. The backstory could have been told through character dialog, interactions between Chase/Zoe or Chase/Lithgow etc. This would have made the "reveal" at the end more palatable. Instead I felt kind of ripped-off when
    she picks up here kid in the final flashback. It makes sense that Amy/Emily was his kid, just that the kid was being kept from us. It would have been much better if she was pregnant. But then the plane ticket contrivance gets wrecked. Messy.

Just think without flashbacks this could have been a tight 4 or 5 episode run with much better pacing.

14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I just watched the season finale. Very satisfied with the season as a whole. I somewhat agree the show lost a little momentum towards the end.

My biggest complaints would be the dogs are no longer on the show and the makeup director should be fired. The last couple of episodes Lithgow went from clean shaven to half a beard from scene to scene. And Shawkat went from 100 to 1000 freckles from scene to scene. Brennaman also looked totally different the last episode. I wonder if the show was filmed over a long period of time?

Not having read the book, it seems like the show could be wrapped up in one more episode. Season Two must really go in some unexpected directions if it is going to stay interesting.

Vidiot and RayS like this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I noticed the disappearing stubble as well, it was hard to miss.

tonyc likes this.
  16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

What is going on with Bridges’ mouth and/or teeth? I haven’t seen him in anything else for quite a while, but I don’t remember him looking and sounding as if he has no teeth!

17. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Well written, and I take your point . Nothing wrong with expressing your opinion on a forum.
    I'm liking the show so far, I've seen 4 episodes.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  18. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Still waiting for this on Disney+ over here in the UK last time I checked…

Scope J likes this.
  19. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It might have to do with the lymphoma cancer he is dealing with.

It seems my thought that the show was filmed over a long period of time was correct.

This article states it took five years to film and the original plan was for a 10 episode season:
    The Old Man Delivered Action Thrills Despite Ailing Star Jeff Bridges | IndieWire

20. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Thanks for the link. That article explains the difference in the look of the characters and production. I'm still in for season two. I liked the pacing, I like all the actors and the storyline overall is interesting. Also I lower the bar of believability when it comes to tv shows so that works for me here.

tonyc likes this.
  21. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Just finished. Fun watch. Waiting next season.

Scope J likes this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

brennamen had about 5 minutes total screen time in the finale. weird.

and we all know what season will be about, they set it up rather well.

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Excellent

tonyc and Scope J like this.
  24. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

as mentioned; the Old Man is coasting on a stellar cast. Jeff (why did he sign up for this?) Bridges , Alia, Lithgow, Chris from the Wire! The show is plagued with a ridiculous plot, interminable flashbacks with long drawn out monologues..... ....still, I stayed with it! bring on next season

25. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I think the flashbacks are to keep Bridges screen time to a minimum. There was one episode where I thought it was too much but other than that I didn't really mind them. I don't think the final scenes of the season would have had as much impact without them.