The original goal of the Compact Disc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by humanracer, Nov 25, 2022.

1. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

From the compact disc catalogue 1983. Shame that ideal seemed to be forgotten from the mid 90s onwards.

For decades, the recording industry and audio manufacturers the world over have striven to realize their goal of re-creating in your living room the sound of a live performance...the sound of the concert hall. That goal has been elusive, until now. The Compact Disc Digital Audio System opens the door to concert hall sound in the home, bringing to the music listener’s ears a standard of sound reproduction sparkling with clarity, offering the breath-taking dynamic range heard until now only in the concert hall, and undisturbed by noise and distortion. Pure, Perfect Sound, Forever.

2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

It still delivers that ideal but some humans are messing that up with poor mastering choices.

mongo, timind, Galaga King and 94 others like this.
  3. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Undisturbed by noise and distortion? Yet In some cases cds made noise and distortion even more audible from the "original analog tapes" original CDs of Rolling Stones sticky fingers, the who By Numbers, yes fragile

ARAMP1, timind, tug_of_war and 2 others like this.
  4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The CD had to contain Beethoven's 9th Symphony without break AND it had to fit in the DIN dashboard cutout then standard in cars. Thus the 5.25" size and sampling rate.

QQQ, Keith V, MonkeyMan and 28 others like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i always thought it was to make all the boomers re-buy their entire record collection they had amassed since childhood.

so artists and record companies could make more money without doing anything.

kind of like anniversary re-issues and live CD's being released today.

6. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

A product that promised so much, and delivered so little !

7. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

The best answer.

8. rexp

rexp Forum Resident

The introduction of CD was a crime against humanity.

kundryishot likes this.
  9. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

No need to overthink it. The CD had a number of obvious advantages over vinyl and tape for the casual music consumer.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

respectfully disagree.......the lack of quality control of CD's is the crime.

the biggest crime against humanity of all time was the release of the cellular telephone.

11. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

The cellular telephone was inevitable.

FJFP, Big Blue, MrSka57 and 1 other person like this.
  12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Avoidance of the typical vinyl pitfalls...skips, vinyl wear, groove distortion, snaps, crackles and pops, etc.

The notes on certain cd releases did specify "this compact disc contains program transferred from analog tape and therefore may contain some tape hiss and other anomalies that exist with analog recordings". I always enjoyed that transparency. If the anomalies are on the tape itself, I'm ok with those. But, as we all know...many times tape copies were used...and those tapes may have contained anomalies not on the 1st generation master mixdown tapes.

Giobacco, Keith V, FJFP and 29 others like this.
  13. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

When the CD was introduced it was considered, I think, as an answer to a lot of the problems brought in by low quality vinyl.
    Think regrind, warpage, thinner Lps, the gas crunch etc., and with a lot of big sellers it just wasn't as easy to get great sounding copies as it was in the 50's and 60's. A lot harder to get a stone mint copy off the shelf, as it were. All I wanted out of the Cd was for it to sound like a mint copy of my favorite records. Of course the button pushers went overboard with their new toys and blew things up and overdid it. Hence taking a decent, though not perfect idea, and , in many cases ruining it.

Giobacco, Dave Mac, kings81 and 18 others like this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

possibly, but did they envision the horrible monster that it would become?

or

the ungodly amount of money it would generate?

15. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

[​IMG]
    ....? o_O

16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Perfect sound forever.

One of the great lies of all time

17. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Anybody who actually believed a claim like that deserves what they get. :laugh:

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

By this point vinyl technology was essentially the same for many decades so looking for something better was a noble thing.

The problems with it are people abusing it.

19. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

A correctly made CD still is the best choice.

20. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Like DVD playback will be able to be set for different ages from one disc. A DVD of an R-rated movie could be played as PG with the simple push of one button.

MHam and ODShowtime like this.
  21. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

One of the compact disc manufacturing videos posted here from 1982 or so emphasized the dynamic range part, being able to put in bass etc. that otherwise would’ve caused needles to jump. It was surprising that there really wasn’t a lot of back-and-forth on that, except some comments seemingly to the effect that the format appears to have been underutilized.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

To give Wham-O some much needed competition.

ubiknik likes this.
  23. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That is an issue with any audio format, not just CD. A lousy master will result in a lousy release, period.

I agree. CD is basically a non-labor intensive format. No need to clean the CD before playing, no components (stylus) to replace, no equipment to maintain (demagnetizing playback head).

In one of my magazines about the history of CD, the phrase was actually (IIRC) "The fifth row forever."

My own opinion on CD is that CD is perfect within its standards...but it is limited by its standards.

timind, caravan70, Mr. Bewlay and 7 others like this.
  24. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Bad vinyl albums = Frisbees
    Bad CD's = coasters

Gazz, Grant, caravan70 and 5 others like this.
  25. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

‘member when that was one of the “selling points” when CDs were first introduced?

Rodant Kapoor likes this.