The Outlaws-An Open Discussion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

cool, see ya later...we'll be here.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

carlwm likes this.
  3. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

Love 'em! I never had the chance to see The Outlaws live, but I did get to see The Henry Paul Band open for The Rossington Collins band in the early 80's. Smokin' show.

Todd W., clhboa, MYQ1 and 3 others like this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Great double header!

Michael likes this.
  5. Hurry Sundown and Ghost Riders are probably my two favorite Outlaw albums. The first two I never owned, just familiar with the hits from them. Ghost Riders was released just as Southern Rock got another shot in the arm with bands like Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet and older acts like the Allman Brothers releasing strong albums in '79-80.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  6. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

Stranger (from Tampa) was third on the bill. It was a fun evening.

MYQ1, Michael and carlwm like this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I don't know Stranger but if they held their own in that company, they'll be a fine band.

Michael likes this.
  8. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I posted this on the other thread. Might as well post it here. This is not the HDA band as it says.
    This is Dixie Revival with Harvey sitting in for several Outlaws songs.

Michael and carlwm like this.
  9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Love the original Outlaws. I have seen them many times, live and also have two stories:

Saw them for the first time live opening for Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Beacon Theater in NYC on Skynyrd's "Give Me Back My Bullets Tour" from the front row. Saw them as headliners many times at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ, and at one of the Capitol Theater shows, Monte Yoho throws out his drumsticks to the audience and I catch one of them.

Fast forward a few weeks after the Capitol show where I caught the drumstick, and I am at the Bottom Line in NYC to see the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and guess who is sitting at the next table to me and my girlfriend - The Outlaws. Anyway, after the show the Outlaws go back stage to meet the Dirt Band, but Monte doesn't go - he hangs around the venue near the backstage entrance. I approach him, and say hi and shake his hand. He seemed very nervous. I told him I caught his drumstick and it was sort of ironic that here he was and I was talking to him. I told him how much I loved the band, and he really seemed nervous - as if he didn't know what to say to me. When I mentioned the Passaic, NJ show, the only thing he could say was they were playing again in New Jersey real soon at Kean College. Anyway, I met Monte Yoho.

Now a few years later, I am Backstage Concert Production Manager (as a student - not paid - just in addition to my studies) at Seton Hall University. Charlie Daniels Band is playing, with the Henry Paul band opening. While Charlie was a true gentleman - had a drink with him and his band back-stage, I hate to say that Henry Paul was not so nice. Being into country rock, as I was (and still am), I was doing my job helping setup the stage, and making sure the bands were fed as per their contracts and I went up to talk to Henry Paul and tell him how much I liked his music. He blew me off, and as I was walking away he and his band laughed at me, saying something like "he thinks he is cool with his boots and hat" (I was wearing a pair of Tony Lama boots and a cowboy hat). Anyway, no big deal - I got over it.

Just a few years ago I saw the modern version of the Outlaws (really just Henry Paul and Monte Yoho with a group of musicians I didn't really know) open for Dickey Betts in Morristown, NJ. They were good, but nothing like the original.

Todd W., clhboa, Michael and 2 others like this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's a shame about Henry Paul. He comes across as very humble in interviews. Hopefully you caught him on the one day his head was too big for his neck.

clhboa and Michael like this.
  11. Michael

thanks for sharing ...yes it is quite disheartening when your favs can be Aholes at times...

carlwm likes this.
  12. Michael

thanks...i enjoyed this.

13. Michael

the irony Paul leaves the Outlaws and when the main players are gone he reforms the band and tours as the Outlaws...Hmmm

MYQ1 and Pete Puma like this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The new incarnation have released two terrific records though, at least to my ears.

Todd W., Michael and steve phillips like this.
  15. steve phillips

The 3 times I saw the Outlaws they were on some great classic 70's concert bills. The first
    one was with Foghat and Rick Derringer in '77. The second was a double bill with Molly Hatchet in
    '78. The third was a stadium show with Poco, Boston, and Van Halen in '79. Those were the days
    my friend.

16. Michael

NICE!

17. Michael

that's cool, but I was being sarcastic. : )

carlwm likes this.
  18. Michael

yes we all have bad days but there was no need for that kind of treatment about ones clothes...I would have laid a clever comment back...

carlwm likes this.
  19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

carlwm likes this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Hurry Sundown and the self titled debut

carlwm, Michael and steve phillips like this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Looks to be gone, now

22. steve phillips

I'll give Henry the benefit of the doubt on this one. It was 40 years ago, and he's not
    here to defend himself, or offer another side to the story. I would hope someone would do the same for me. It's only fair.

Michael and carlwm like this.
  23. Michael

OK? point? Yes, absolutely positively ..I was JUST stating what I would have done BACK THEN if it was me...

steve phillips and carlwm like this.
  24. Michael

Lady In Waiting is fabulous...gotta get that too!

25. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

When I met Henry in 05 he was friendly & even corraled some of the other guys to make I got their autographs.