The Outlaws-An Open Discussion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

sounds good to me! ; )

2. Michael

Hurry Sundown!

allbrosca likes this.
  3. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

How about this?

In The Eye of the Storm is killer on vinyl.........Very underrated Outlaws album IMHO.

Michael likes this.
  4. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I actually received the Rockpalast CD/DVD the other day - just in time
    to see the negative takes here. Yes, the sound is uneven and rough at
    times, but....spirited performance. I'm glad I ordered it. If this was a
    bootleg I would be thrilled with the package. If you're a rabid Outlaws
    fan I would get it.

Myke, Michael and carlwm like this.
  5. I'm a casual fan. I've got "The Outlaws" and "Lady in Waiting" on LPs. I love their version of "Ghost Riders", it's awesome!

Michael and carlwm like this.
  6. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

I would move on to Hurry Sundown. Great album IMHO. Then Maybe Bring It Back Alive. I'm sure if you are looking there will be lots of opinions on where to go next!

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Anyone in the USA who wants my copy of that dreadful (IMO) release - played the CD once (one time too many) can have it for $13 including shipping. Contact me direct. I'll put it up at that price in the forum for sale section if there is any interest.

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

had it years ago...it sounded good, yes.

Todd W. likes this.
  9. Michael

I have it as well, but I don't like it as much as you. ; )

10. Michael

get Hurry Sundown! great album. you'll love it ...

clhboa, lazydawg58 and gitters like this.
  11. Michael

yes, I also recommended HS! essential Outlaws,

clhboa and gitters like this.
  12. Michael

have it...good price!

13. Michael

has there been any rumors of an Outlaws Box Set?

14. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Though Playin' To Win and In The Eye of the Storm seemed to me a bit more commercial, both are worth having. I can't say I was thrilled with Los Hombres Malo or really anything after that. Some might like to jump in here.

I do know this. The two Henry Paul Outlaws albums, It's About Pride and Dixie Highway are both darn good. It just depends on what you want to call the Outlaws these days. Henry, of course, struck gold with Billy and Hughie when they all came together in 1973. The Live Album Legacy is also worth having.

15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I concur with your opinions about the Henry Paul led incarnation of the band. Legacy is a marvellous companion to Bring It Back Alive and the two studio albums are chock-full of wonderful songs. The Outlaws are as relevant now as they've ever been, which is great. I live in hope of seeing them live, after the madess subsides.

Pretty much agree about Los Hombres Malo. It's a decent album but pales in comparison with the rest of the catalogue. As far as later releases go:

Soldiers Of Fortune has a very Eighties sound courtesy of Spencer Proffer and the splendidly named Randy Bishop, which I know puts a lot of people off but the songs, especially side one, are terrific. It's nice to see that Cold Harbour has been resurrected by the current line-up. It's a shame, though, that Hughie & Henry couldn't have persuaded Billy to be involved.

Hittin' The Road/Diablo Canyon Hughie rebuilt the brand pretty strongly, in my opinion, after Henry departed for Blackhawk. A bit more blues-rock and a bit less country, but these to albums offer plenty to enjoy. Chris Hicks made for a fine sidekick. His writing, playing and singing lets nobody down.

So Low Is this part of the canon or not? The punning title suggests a Hughie solo record. However, the recording line-up is near enough the same as Diablo Canyon which means it could be a band record. Then again, Hughie takes all the lead vocals and is the only member to have writing credits so we might be back to it being a solo release. The cover's no help. It just has the album title on it! o_O

Regardless, it's a wonderful record with a lot more country back in the mix than the previous few releases. Hughie or the band's best since Ghost Riders, for me.

Once An Outlaw Hughie's last hurrah and sadly unreleased, at last officially. I've been lucky enough to hear it and it shows a band on top form with a line-up that links nicely to Henry and It's About Pride. I would love this to come out properly. I'm sure fans would love it.

Michael and Todd W. like this.
  16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Good review of these albums and thanks. I really could not tell you much after LHM. IF I have heard them, it has been a long time ago and I wouldn't even make a judgement.

They have been pushing back a show in the Pittsburgh area time and time again.........obviously. It is a smaller dinner like club. I kept it bookmarked for almost over a year now. The last scheduled was Nov. 6th, 2020. I can't seem to find if they have moved it again. I keep checking back and nothing so far.

17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

You're welcome! :righton:

I hope you manage to catch them before too long. They do seem to be as good as ever in concert. :)

18. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Oh, I have seen them. Just not this incarnation.

I think I might have mentioned on this thread a while back. I first saw them in 1979 at the old Capitol Centre in Landover, Maryland. I saw them at a fairgrounds in Fredericksburg, VA with about 50,000 other people in I think 1982? Molly Hatchet and Blackfoot on that bill. Spectacular by the way. Then in August of 1983 opening for Charlie Daniels. There was another time either opening again for CDB or Skynyrd. I have most of my ticket stubs, but not all. I loved southern rock and still do.

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's a bunch of great sounding shows. I'm very envious! :righton:

20. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Not to derail the thread, but also saw Hughie a few times with Skynyrd . With Gary, Hughie and Rickey, that was a formidable three when Billy and Leon were still alive.

slipkid, Michael and carlwm like this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Indeed!

It goes against the grain with a lot of people but I like a lot of those post-crash Lynyrd Skynyrd albums. I've seen them live but that was after Hughie's time with the band, sadly.

22. Michael

great post! I agree...I do love The Henry Paul Band debt!

Todd W. and carlwm like this.
  23. Michael

the only thing I really don't like is the sound quality of Bringing It Back Alive...

Cousin Stanley, Todd W. and carlwm like this.
  24. Michael

keep us posted!

Todd W. likes this.
  25. Michael

that had to be nice!

Todd W. and carlwm like this.