The Pentangle

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Jul 19, 2020.

1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

speedracer likes this.
  2. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

eelkiller and speedracer like this.
  3. HarborRat

HarborRat Forum Resident

I absolutely agree. She has a beautiful voice and a subtle charisma that is compelling, as evidenced in the video of "Willy O' Winsbury" I posted above. I think she was every bit the equal of Sandy Denny and Maddy Prior.

4. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Forum Resident

She reminds me of one of the Queens ( from an old deck of playing cards.) Truly classic look and sound!!

[​IMG]

5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Great stuff. Top notch musicianship for sure. I dig Jansch in particular, but there was a real alchemy to that group. Would love to have caught them when they reunited a few years back...glad that happened while it still could.

speedracer and Sear like this.
  6. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Not common in UK folk I would have thought.

Possibly picked up after/during US tour ?

speedracer likes this.
  7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

I like Pentangle more than Fairport convention

8. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

I love Pentangle because the lack of rock in their music

McLover, Man at C&A and speedracer like this.
  9. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

There's something almost mystical about the chemistry of these musicians on their first 3 albums. Incredibly different than anyone else. But I feel that it did not last as the group drew disenchanted, for numerous reasons, after the UK success of Basket Of Light, and that chemistry surfaced only intermittently on their following albums, imho. One of my favorite groups, naturally, and I will always regret not having seen them play live when they were in their prime. I can't recommend the esoteric album box set as I feel that NR was applied to heavily on them and the albums sound dull to me. If you can get the Castle/Sanctuary "The Time Has Come" box at a decent price, it's more preferable.

Brian Kelly likes this.
  10. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

Does anybody know how Japanese pressings of the early Pentangle albums sound?

11. Voom

Voom Forum Resident

Agreed. Even though it's not my style either, I love the thumpy twang of Bert Jansch's guitar. My favourite song of theirs would be 'Wedding Dress'.

McLover and Chemically altered like this.
  12. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I only got Reflection and Solomon's Seal yesterday. I'm currently listening to Reflection for the first time and it's great. I know have all the original Pentangle LPs up to 1972.

McLover and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I got them both very cheap in a charity shop yesterday, in excellent condition too! :)

Siegmund likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They're loved in the UK, all my friends with good music collections have a few Pentangle albums.

McLover, speedracer and Siegmund like this.
  16. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Happy to see a casual Pentangle thread surface - I glazed over ages ago on the album by album thread, too linear for me.

Here is a cut and paste from a thread on terrible reviews , a bit of research I did on Basket of Light:

. . . "Basket of Light" by Pentangle is one of my favourite records. Here is a classic 1970 Rolling Stone smear, now revived and preserved here on SHF in all its dimbulbery.

I went looking for the Rolling Stone Feb 1970 review of "Basket of Light," as the Wiki fine print said the Rolling Stone review was "unfavourable." Could not find the review online without archive subscription, so I got it through interlibrary loan. I uploaded the pdf of the microfilm to the file host below. The Basket of Light review is the second review on the page.

Interesting example of late sixties early seventies post folk-revival backlash.

nevermind, file host is not working. So I will transcribe it. Man, info is a pain sometimes:

The Pentangle - "Basket of Light" album review - Gary Von Tersch - Rolling Stone February 1970

' This Pentangle album disturbs me because it sounds as if the group has run out of things to do. Repetition, in style and material, dominates nearly every cut of this album. And some odd logic, on someone's part, is displayed when one looks closely at the inside cover after listening to the record - great pains are taken to emphasize the fact that "all the instruments played on this album are acoustic" (the folk "purist" ethic). So why do they resort to sloppy double-tracking of numerous vocals throughout if it's purity they're after? Finally the album cover sort of promises a "live" performance, which this definitely is not.

As for the music (and its "purity"), take the butcher-job they do to the prismatic Jaynettes' song "Sally Go Round the Roses." This song just cannot be done without electricity (in the horns and in the voices) or without an overall sense of abandon which the Pentangle never even come close to mustering here. The fact that they chose to attempt it indicates they are either slipping or that they are compromising their once-unique vision.

Other facets of this album dovetail with this assumption. Of the nine cuts (and why only nine cuts?) fully five are explorations of traditional tunes and material - not that this is bad in itself. But except in one instance ("House Carpenter") the performances are at best mediocre, at worst monotonous. Miss McShee's voice seems to never shift or vary to add color or madness to the material.

The other cuts are too pedestrian and similar to discuss at any length. I simply have a few questions for the Pentangle and Shel Talmy, who, I assume, produced this album. Why no unaccompanied vocals? Why no blues or spiritual evocations? Why no instrumentals? Why no explorations of jazz or classical themes? Why does Pentangle take no chances at all here, when it was taking chances that made them so refreshing in the first place? '

Von Tersch, Gary (21 February 1970). "Records". Rolling Stone

"Light Flight"
    The Pentangle
    From the album "Basket of Light" (1970)

Manalishi likes this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

their jazzier stuff I like, some of the deep folk stuff comes across to me as vert well-meaning but kind of like a history lesson

18. Chemically altered

British folk is a history lesson. ;)

McLover, Man at C&A and The Panda like this.
  19. Chemically altered

I believe that Herr Von Tersch faded into obscurity soon after this. Lol.

MoonPool likes this.
  20. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Two words - Light Flight - pure transcendence.

MoonPool and Man at C&A like this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

That first record is just so all over stylistically, but totally together. They were locked in.

22. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

23. Chemically altered

I doubt these sound better as all past CDs were mastered from the same digital masters since the 80s.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Interesting. No improvements or source discoveries?

25. Chemically altered

I don't believe that anyone ever looked. :shake: