The Police: A Forgotten Band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

The Police are one of my top favorite bands. they were huge in the 80's. I saw them in 1982 during the Ghost in the Machine tour and 2007 the reunion tour. Ghost in the machine is my favorite album.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Fullbug and wwright like this.
  2. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

"Walking On The Moon" was part of the soundtrack to many a rainy afternoon - along with Joe Jackson, Elvis Costello, The Jags and that first great s/t Huey Lewis album - hanging out in the UC Berkeley dorms with my best friend, back in the early 80's.

Such a great, carefree time - anything was possible. Their music brings all that back for me.

And Sting's solo work? Absolutely wonderful. I never grow tired of it. I've introduced a few younger music fans to him, and they inevitably sit up and ask - "wait - what's this guy's name? I have to get this album." I finally saw him perform live a few years back in Barcelona during a business trip. He was incredible.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    JeffMo likes this.
  3. koshrecords

koshrecords NZ-based Xennial, Manics expert

Young-ish person here. The Police are still big, at least among 30-something rock fans. Couldn't name a single solo Sting song.

No Bull and Jmac1979 like this.
  4. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Not wishing to wish injury on anybody, but I reckon Stuart's injury was a blessing, the idea of an album of "remakes" is a pretty uninspiring thought.

As much as I liked Sting's songs I always looked forward (still do) to Stuart & Andy's "quirky" contributions to the albums.

The Police really were a terrific band :righton:

No Bull likes this.
  5. Rukiki

Rukiki Forum Resident

Come to Spain and tune in any rock radio. Chances are the first thing you hear is: "Roooooooooooooxaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane".

Also, Every Breath You take was featured on the 2nd season finale of Stranger Things. That probably gave them huge exposure to generation Y and Z audiences:

6. Blamelouis

Blamelouis Well-Known Member

My favourite band of all time.
    You just have to look at the world class musicians that credit them as influences or who hung out with them on the synchronicity tour.
    Jaco pastorius ,Joni Mitchell,Pat metheny,Miles Davis ,Billy Joel ,Weather Report , Stanley Clarke , Robert Fripp .
    Their live jams are legendary and I remember a bass teacher telling me that their bootleg live tapes were traded and taught at Berklee as part of the improvisation studies when he was there.

Nightfly68 likes this.
  7. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

"Message In A Bottle" was one of the songs in Guitar Hero years ago, so at least my kids know who The Police are. My 11-yo seems to like Synchronicity a lot.

8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

Dec. 31 : today is Andy Summers' 76th birthday ....:cheers:

Billy_Sunday, No Bull and jamesc like this.
  9. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

They were the best band of their generation, but they were a singles band not albums

10. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Been a fan since the beginning and still listen to them.

Christopher B likes this.
  11. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Well, he’s doing it now, 30 years later! A Sting album of remakes (both Police and solo) is due out soon.

PIGGIES and Keith V like this.
  12. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Yeah I heard about the remakes. Can't say I'm looking forward to it.

13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I couldn't agree with that.. Five great albums ... sure they had good singles, but the albums were always in the top lists until people got burnt out on Sting

ARK, DiabloG, GoodKitty and 9 others like this.
  14. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I enjoy all five of the Police albums in different ways but pretty much equally. While they all include a bit of filler, they also include a lot of great "deep cuts" beyond the big hits, so I definitely don't think of them as being exclusively a singles band.

ARK, akmonday, DiabloG and 5 others like this.
  16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Outlandos d'Amour RIAA platinum
    Reggatta De Blanc RIAA platinum
    Zenyatta Mondatta RIAA 2x platinum
    Ghost In The Machine RIAA 3x platinum
    Synchronicity RIAA 8x platinum

ARK, Cat People, GoodKitty and 6 others like this.
  17. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I'm not talking about sales

18. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Good albums regardless. Ghost is probably the patchiest but the rest are fine.

No Bull and Jmac1979 like this.
  19. dmiller458

"The Police had a hit; therefore they were a singles band"

20. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Recently I’ve been listening the original AM+ (Audio Master Plus) CD’s. Cheap, good sounding and easily available. For some reason, the only disc I do not have is Outlandos d’Amour. I need to remedy that...

21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Different strokes. I personally find it to be their most consistent, cohesive effort in a lot of ways. I guess that I'm a sucker for that Orwellian dystopian vibe. I've been finding myself going back to it a lot these days. . .

akmonday, DiabloG, RTW and 3 others like this.
  22. hammer99

hammer99 Forum Resident

I somewhat liked their first album at the time, but never had much use for anything else they did.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Your first point? That’s a bold statement. A generation is a long time and there were a lot of great bands between say ‘70 and ‘90.

Second point? Totally disagree.

24. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Dream of the Blue Turtles is as good as any Police album but after Nothing Like The Sun there’s nothing great. Instead of going back with a smaller band in 1991, Sting should have brought back The Police.

ARK and akmonday like this.
  25. dmiller458

No, it's not that bold of a statement. A music generation only lasts four-five years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.