The Police on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Redbook

Redbook >> 16 Bits of Glory <<

Yes it does

JediJoker likes this.
  2. Tim Bexter

Tim Bexter Well-Known Member

I don't understand that why the police 2003 remaster is underrated in this thread... i listened Outlandos, Reggatta De Blanc, Synchronicity and thought that there's no reason to consider this remasters awful. Sound thicker and clearer than original cds and more good EQ'd and no hint Noise reduction than MIB Box remaster.

Check Blind Test thread of Reggata De Blanc. I remembered that 2003 DSD remasters were praised much when released... it's strange.

DiabloG likes this.
  3. Tim Bexter

Ah, i think some compression can give music sound more punch and softness without annoying notice. For example, Bob ludwig's Bruce Springsteen 2014 Box. I hate 'Remaster slam' here...

Christopher B likes this.
  4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

They're fine as long as you don't crank them LOUD.

DiabloG likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

ghost and synchronicity at least would be great in 5.1

6. Tim Bexter

I think these 2003 cds are not that loud.

7. Tim Bexter

In Your way, Rolling Stones 2002 remaster or In A Gadda Da Vida 95 Deluxe sounds inferior to original cds? I don't think so.

8. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The UK SACDs in the digipaks are dual layer with both CD and SACD but I suspect the USA ones in the super-jewel cases are SACD only.

marcb, jamesc and JediJoker like this.
  9. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I grabbed that Synchronicity remaster in the digi when released, gifted it to a co-worker the next day. I did not enjoy it- this was before I joined the forum :laugh:

blaken123, ricks and George P like this.
  10. Redbook

Redbook >> 16 Bits of Glory <<

I don't like the 2003 remasters because the amount of added loudness doesn't go well with the music in my opinion. I like the louder Queen remasters however, it's all very subjective. The SACD Layer fron the 2003 Remasters is by the way the same EQ as with the standart CD release minus the limiting and I still don't like it at all. I just think from all of Bob Ludwigs great work, the Police and Nirvana Remasters are his least favourable work for me. But again it's all highly subjective. When you like the 2003's you shouldn't give a damn what someone else says :thumbsup:

Christopher B likes this.
  11. Tim Bexter

/Nirvana? Nevermind Remaster is bad..... I don't know whether bob ludwig did remaster In Utero in 2013 or not, 2013 In Utero Remaster is very good.

12. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

A while back, I ripped the SACD layer of Reggatta from my blu ray player and it was actually just as compressed as the redbook version. Ditto for Outlandos and Synchronicity (though I don't that one anymore). I'll admit that I do like the 2003 remaster, but on the other hand, why would the SACD layer need compression? The redbook layer didn't need it either, but as far as compressed remasters go, I've heard much worse. The only 2003 redbook remaster I don't care for is Zenyatta, and that's because I found it to be somewhat dull. Whether or not the Ghost and Zenyatta SACD's are compressed, I can't say as I don't have them. I'm fine with the DADC Ghost and Platinum SHM Zenyatta, so I don't really need the SACD's at the moment.

13. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Heh, the old SACD for Zenyatta is typically described as the only good one from that batch of Police SACDs. (Not to say your opinion isn't valid.)

Plan9 likes this.
  14. HiFi Guy 008

I just picked it up for a buck or two. It's ok. Going to compare with my orig.

15. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I liked the SACD and even found it similar to my US vinyl pressing, though I admittedly haven't heard either of them in a while. If I see a cheap copy somewhere then I'll grab it. The reason that the Zenyatta SACD garnered some praise here was likely because the older versions weren't as good as the rest of the catalog, especially the US for US CD. That one had very bright EQ and tons of clipping IIRC.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  16. HiFi Guy 008

Is the SACD only 24/96?

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Not sure what you mean, SACD is DSD, a different format than PCM 24bit/96kHz (but roughly equivalent).

ricks and c-eling like this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

From conversion to PCM it's usually 88 correct Tom? I think I remember my Oppo outputting it as such.
    But with some SACD's the mastering itself could be cut at 44 depending on source.
    Archimago had a nice list started back in 2013
    Archimago's Musings: LIST: Suspected 44 or 48kHz PCM upsampled SACDs.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, DSD was made to be a multiple of 44.1kHz when converted to PCM.

As for the source, ideally it is an analog source with no absolute limitation in frequency response like you would with 44.1kHz PCM.

c-eling likes this.
  20. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Agreed, Zenyatta was the only one I found of the original 2003 SACD's to be tolerable on the whole. The 2015 SHM-SACD Zenyatta demonstrated to me how good the album could sound in a digital format as it's pretty much "audiophile grade"

dav-here and Downsampled like this.
  21. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

For me, the 2015 SHM-SACD is the only really good digital Zenyatta out there.
    That includes the old EU CD (bit tinny), the 1993 remaster (mid-heavy EQ) and the 2003 Ludwig (narrowed stereo field, doesn't breathe)

dav-here likes this.
  22. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

I noticed that Synchronicity, by the Police, was released again in Japan on CD in 2017 (cat # UICY-78318).

Is the mastering, for this 2017 CD, identical to the SHM-CD's released in Japan in 2013 (cat # UICY-76029 & UICY-40043)?

Cheers.

23. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Low-priced reissue. 2003 remastering. Enhanced CD. This series features the albums with the following product number: UICY-78284 through UICY-78337. Available for a limited time of period only until August 17, 2017

Synchronicity (Remastered) [Low-priced Reissue] The Police CD Album

24. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

25. jp312

jp312 Forum Resident

There is a mixing technique called drum replacement that was commonly used in the '80s, in which a live recorded track could effectively serve as a trigger for a sample. The sample could either augment the live recorded track or completely replace it.