The Police on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Oct 24, 2005.

1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

One has to be careful, A later US DADC (full stamper) does carry that Denon/Club light blue mastering. (ghost)
    For digital I've enjoyed it so I haven't gone any further.

George P likes this.
  2. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

I don’t know if it was mentioned before, but I think that the „Every Move You Make“ remasters from the year 2019 are the best available CDs. I have listened to all European Police masters. This is my ranking:

1. Original European LPs
    2. Every Move You Make
    3. AM+
    4. Message In A Box
    5. 2003 remasters

Golden Richards likes this.
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Actually members of the forum found out that the 2021 SHM-SACD for 461 Ocean Boulevard that was supposed to be the 2018 mastering was just a repressing of the 2010 SHM-SACD.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The Every Move You Make 2019 CD box was not well-received on the forum. Compression is similar to, or even worse than, the 2003 remasters.
    For example:
    The Police on CD
    The Police: Every Move You Make-The Studio Recordings (CD Boxset)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  5. c-eling

Nice box, but I steered clear when opinions on the EQ being bright were said.
    Actually the terms 'Crisp/Fresh' may have been used. That's usually my cue to stay away :laugh:

DiabloG and George P like this.
  6. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

Yes, I have been following this discussion on the "New SHM-SACDs last-word on packaging, sonics PART TWO" thread. I have only used this title as an example. If I am not mistaken als one album from Camel was first released as MQA UHQCD and in May released as SHM-SACD.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes I only mentioned it so people wouldn't buy it by mistakenly thinking the mastering was the 2018 one.

CrimsonPiper, jhm and Jagger69 like this.
  8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

DIDZ-10070 versus DIDZ-10071, although my Japan for US is a DIDX-2.

c-eling likes this.
  9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I picked one up, but it was only £4.99, which was the same price as my Japan for Europe Ghost in the Machine.

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

Excellent value! However for me if I don't care for the mastering's it's a waste of space :)

George P and Carlox like this.
  11. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

@ricks

I was not talking about the SHM-SACD from GYTM who's as you said from 2003 remaster.

I was comparing the feeling in the GYTM LP from Nautilus recordings to the SHM-SACD of Reggatta and Synchronicity (I have these only 2). I don't know why, but I got a close feeling between this good half/speed LP and the sound of these SACD.

@Jagger69
    Thanks for your answer. Those releases got my attention. I know they will be sold quick, and 2 weeks after they will be sold out from CDJapan, they will be at a +200% price on discogs ... They are not free, so maybe I'll wait for a SACD release.
    Do you listen to the MQA part ? Or only the UHQCD part ? I think it's the same deal as the SHM-CD ...

12. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

@ricks

Your beloved Japanese's releases are gone on wild prices on Discogs. I looked to them a lot. People knows ...

Actually hunting for SHM-SACD is cheaper. And they are new.
    I got fooled twice for Peter Gabriel CDs recently, I'm mad ^^ It's not easy to find good deals. Actually, the best deals I've made, is person-to-person trades, I got pristine time capsules.

13. ricks

ricks Senior Member

:laugh: Funny I've been accused of being anti-expensive CD , anti-1st press Japan CD many times, this is first and only time anyone has mentioned I "love" them.

All the 38XB based masterings are available on normal stocks discs, refer to any of the many charts I've posted. Get the stock discs; if they are the same they sound the same 'cause they are the same. 1st Press Japan 80's CD have no mystical qualities even with an OBI.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    ggggreenisaac and Plan9 like this.
  14. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

"beloved" was a digression :p

ricks likes this.
  15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’m trying to wade through this thread and my head is spinning. Is there a definitive/consensus choice for each CD?

16. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

Yes,
    The link posted yesterday above by Plan9 of @ricks 's synthesis.

I made my purchases by it's work.

Tommyboy likes this.
  17. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words exoendria

Like most things on this forum and on the internet in general there is no consensus, given how subjective of sound quality is it makes it even more unlikely.

My opinions are merely my opinions I do encourage all to do their own compares as best person to determine sound you will like is yourself. Link to my last full review: The Police on CD-Digital review

When I posted that review I had not really dug into the 2019 set on digital. Now that I have, in my opinion it is an avoid. I'd place it above the 2003's but below the 1993 Box.

It does appears there were 2 masterings/version of the "Flexible Strategies" download. 1 venue has one that was not Dynamically Compressed horribly. There was an issue with my download card and after a week back and forth with customer service I was provided a direct one time download link. At the time I did not know I had received what I would consider to be a superior version. The info on which online vendor also has the good version may be in this thread but i'm not sure. I do know someone on this forum did post the info at some time.

Speaking of the 1993 Message in Box my opinion has softened while I do not like the sound quality mainly due to harsh EQ, but I can understand why some may like it. Last time I checked (2 years back) it was under $20 USD thus good for folks to pickup and make their own determinations.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  18. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

For a newbie, keep it simple and just get the original CDs. Cheap 'n easy, no hassle! The exception is Zenyatta Mondatta, where the Platinum SHM is better than the other masterings by a big margin. If you can't get that one, then the old European CD is the least expensive option. Avoid the original US mastering as it sounds grainy and has a ton of clipping.

The 2019 remasters may be a bargain considering what you get, but I personally think they're the worst sounding Police CDs. The whole set just sounds loud and clinical to my ears. I've see many people here praise it though; my thoughts appear to be in the minority. The 2003s are okay. Still somewhat more compressed than I'd like, but the EQ is good and they're not as distorted as the 2019s (comparing these 2 versions of Synchronicity shows a pretty noticeable difference). Message in a Box is fine, but more of a mixed bag. The 70s material sounds a little thin, while the 80s stuff is slightly fuller. The amount of compression varies depending on the song, but it's generally within moderate territory.

hi_watt, C6H12O6, exoendria and 2 others like this.
  19. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Zenyatta Mondatta -Platinum SHM has the same mastering as the non Platinum SHM right?

20. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

Yes, the SHM-CD, SHM-CD Platinum and the SHM-SACD has the same mastering.

C6H12O6, jhm, DiabloG and 2 others like this.
  21. Elpampeano

Elpampeano Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I've tried hand to hand the Zenyatta Mondatta 1990 Spain Planeta Agostini CD edition, vs the 1980 UK original vinyl. The similitudes are outstandings, sounds like a direct transfer to me. Besides clarity an a touch of warm that are better on vinyl, the CD sounds wonderful, and with better bass (maybe my turntable). So, i don't heard the SHM Platinum CD yet, but this edition stays on my prefered digital (the remaster it's awful sounding). BTW, my system comprises Apogee speakers, stereo subs, DSP, Proceed and diy electronics, Parasound belt driver transport, Chord Qutest DAC, Dual 5000 turntable, Ortofon OM30 cartridge and custom phono preamp.

22. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

I have a quest with Reggatta de Blanc, as Walking on The Moon is magic for me. And I never been fully satisfied, first I listened to mp3 2003 version on random gear. Not satisfied. Then 2003 CD on good gear, not totally satisfied. Then the European original CD of 85, much better, I discovered the real dynamic range. But not totally satisfied.

Then the 2014 SHM-SACD, it’s different and slightly better.

And today, 1979 LP AMLH 64792 pressed in Holland.
    The stereo image is really wider. And the big difference is on Sting’s bass, sound more natural.
    It’s close from the SACD. I’m really impressed.

Now I need to compare A/B
    SACD and LP on the same system

Cast Iron Shore and Jagger69 like this.
  23. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

On behalf of all the Dutch I will tell you: we’re glad we made you happy. You’re welcome. :righton:

GoodKitty likes this.
  24. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

I must admit, you know how to press discs :cool:

25. priestman

priestman Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Anyone know what version of Zenyatta this is? I can’t seem to track it down on Discogs, and it’s the only Zenyatta CD I’ve seen with both the later face and aluminum center.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Jagger69 and c-eling like this.