The Pretenders opening for Journey (-Steve Perry, obviously)?!?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Nov 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You missed the point.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. It might've been an odd pairing 35 years ago but it's perfectly natural now. It's not like the Pretenders have been anything like a raw rock 'n' roll band in years. Both bands are essentially retro '80s AM radio pop acts, and promoters (and probably the bands themselves) know this.

3. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Have you seen the Pretenders in recent years? The Dec 2016 show I caught was more raw than the Dec 1994 show I'd seen two decades earlier. Both rawked. Chrissie is perpetually vital.

But look out for smaller-venue headlining gigs along the way. That's what she did in '16, ducking out on some off-nights in between the big arena shows opening for Stevie Nicks. They played a small theater here in Portland, with a longer setlist : ) Obviously, they really like to play.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  4. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

The current line-up of the band have now been the Pretenders longer than the original four were.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Tofu and soy products. No meat!

;)

BluesOvertookMe and hi_watt like this.
  6. davers

davers Forum Resident

That's exactly what I did for a few songs when I saw this lineup a few years ago...it worked pretty well!

Having Steve Smith back in the fold was the hook that got me to the show. It also didn't hurt that Dave Mason and The Doobies were opening.

Regardless, Arnel does a great job and deserves some credit for keeping the classic 80s lineup in the limelight.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  7. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

I agree that Chrissie is the pretenders in terms of making all the important decisions but I totally disagree that this is basically her stage name. Or at least putting it this way sounds like you consider her band as just puppets.
    I can assure you that she has great respect for her musicians and their contributions. Like most musicians who have had a long career she wants sometimes to explore other means of expression but the other members of the Pretenders are hugely important for her and her relationship with them is not like casual employees in a business. Much more like a real band

Matthew Tate and Arnold Grove like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Yes, they are a real band, and a VERY real band. Chrissie makes it a point to do this. So I agree.

But the term "The Pretenders", at least since the death of the 2 original members, is really "Chrissie Hynde & The Pretenders". It is like when McCartney spent the 1970s as "Wings". Paul very much respected all of the hired musicians who were in "Wings". But basically "Wings" was Paul's stage name for the 1970s.

9. Arnold Grove

^^^Since I mentioned McCartney:

Also interesting that 2 former Pretenders later became part of Paul's backing band in the early 1990s, so they definitely had to be well respected.

Robbie McIntosh--guitar; Blair Cunningham--drums

10. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

You've obviously never heard Pineda.

Comet01, BluesOvertookMe, ARK and 3 others like this.
  11. Detroit Rock Citizen

Much better than Perry can.

Matthew Tate and Juggsnelson like this.
  12. Detroit Rock Citizen

Like I said, the Pretenders opened for these shows. What's the BFD?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Detroit Rock Citizen

OMG NOOOOOOOO

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Detroit Rock Citizen

Not sure about this but you picked the only original member whose stayed with them since the beginning. I don't know but he may own the brand outright.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Detroit Rock Citizen

I've read where Schon isn't too happy with Cain's wife, and I don't blame him but as long as they can work together.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Agree. It’s just musicians making a living. But, self-appointed arbiters of taste think that the group shouldn’t open for a band that they believe to be inferior. Kind of silly.

17. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Realities of life hitting home. Journey even sans Perry are a band with a compelling catalogue. The Pretenders is a pseudonym for a solo artist that does not sell a lot of records anymore.

18. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Need to Get Close.

bataclan2002 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

BusNoise likes this.
  20. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Pretenders have been middle of the road since 1983.

21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Any stigma of "odd pairing" has been removed. Back in 1985, both Tears for Fears and Hall & Oates were at peak, commercially. However, it would have been unheard then to even consider the idea of them touring together. Joan Jett and Heart, same deal.

Some of this is Rock and Roll HoF inductee connection. As OP indicated, Journey is a sure thing at these types of venues.

Personally tempted to get tickets just to see Pretenders, then leave!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I caught the Pretenders in a club during the Nicks tour between Nicks dates (so keep your eyes open).

I have in the past gone for the opening act and then left. Usually I would stay, but for Journey I would bail for sure no matter who sang. (I have seen Journey as the middle act opening for the Stones.) Think of it this way - you can beat the traffic and be home early, or go to dinner after the crowds have left. Same for The Pretenders.

Agree with this. (I did see Cheap Trick as a headliner this summer. I don't know if it was a break on the ZZ Top tour or not.)

P.S. Chrissie doesn't like the cell phones.

bataclan2002 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It really wasn't necessary.

ARK and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

You could probably wait until the next tour when they aren’t touring with Journey and the ticket prices aren’t so high.

25. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Not shocked. The Pretenders haven't been The Pretenders since James Honeyman Scott and Pete Farndon died.

MikeMig and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.