The Raconteurs: "Help Us Stranger" (Out 6/21/19)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brendan K, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

from Jimmy Kimmel

ex_mixer and Efus like this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Seeing them tonight!
    Greek's a bigger venue than I normally like (with pain in the ass parking), but it should still be fun!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  4. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Show last night was great!
    Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) joined them on guitar for a song.
    I liked how the mixed up some of the songs from sounding too much like their studio versions, and I especially liked a lot of their transitions. Just a pure rock show with great forward momentum!
    They put your phone in a bag, but no one cared. It was nice to not see anyone on their phones during the show.

5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Totally agree with you - last night was so awesome and the energy was great!

And the whole phone locking thing really did work - not only did it solve the phone issue but I honestly think it helped the crowd as a whole be more attentive in general based on my concert going experiences - it felt like there was less casual chit chat during the opener even!

The Raconteurs are a tour de force of pure rock in person, I love the vibe they have going on. They are truly one of the bands keeping the spirit of blues rock alive in their own way

6. neruda

neruda Forum Resident

I was at the LA show last night as well. Perhaps one of the most searing rock shows I’ve ever seen. Good to know unabashed rock is still being represented – especially coming from someone who no longer understands most of what the kids are listening to these days. (And I’m only 36 ... ha ha)

And I agree no phones was nice. It was like going to shows in the ’90s and early aughts.

longdist01, RockRoom, katstep and 2 others like this.
  7. One of the music magazines (I want to say UNCUT) currently on the stands includes a Third Man Records (Jack White's label) compilation. I was in a rush and didn't check out much more than the track listing, but it had a Raconteurs song.

8. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

It's the issue of Mojo with Springsteen on the cover. Looks like a good compilation of TMR songs.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  9. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I ordered the limited green cassette for this back in late June. Did anyone else get this? Still haven't received it or received a notice for delivery estimate.

10. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Have the vinyl- going spin soon with drink in hand straight through

neruda likes this.
  11. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Raconteurs live video stream, right now, tomorrow and Saturday night as well (meaning, all 3 shows at Ryman auditorium will be streaming) :

12. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Checked the very intro to the performance in the morning and now since I've come to my workplace and checked it again - the guys just started Steady as She Goes. What a coincidence, haha) I'm usually behind the world with my GMT+7 time zone but not this time :D Great way to start Friday morning.

13. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Was at the Ryman show Thursday night and am watching the Nugs stream tonight - these fellas are absolutely killing it. Certainly one of my favorite albums of the year and concerts of the last few.

Tremendous, frankly!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  14. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Saw this tour in Vancouver earlier this year and was quite frankly blown away definitely a top show of the year, maybe of the last few years that I've seen from any band. So I was pretty thrilled to hear about these webcasts. Missed the first night, but enjoyed last night with the Help Us Stranger album played in it's entirety, and who can go wrong with a show that ends with Carolina Drama. Watching tonight again, and am so impressed with the quality of the video and great coverage of multiple angles provided from the camera crew. Stream is top quality too, no hiccups at all, but most impressive to me is the sound. This stream really has some balls, in your face, great bottom end and separation of the instruments, really an absolute pleasure watching this right now!

15. rcrawley

rcrawley Gotta keep on movin and groovin...

Completely agree, they are excellent shows and streams. I was able to catch a few songs from both nights 1 and 2 and was very impressed.

Any idea if nugs will keep them on demand? I seem to remember JW keeps aud recordings and things like stream caps off the standard (legit) trading sites so prob no hope in easily snagging them. I’m hopeful I can catch all three if /once avail as VOD.

16. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Not entirely sure if these will stay up or not. Im wondering if Jack may use them for a future TMR Vault release. Certainly some compelling material for one and I'd love a live album from this tour.

Throughout the broadcast it was advertising that TMR was now on Nugs and about a dozen audio shows are available (9 Raconteurs shows from the 2006 UK tour, an unreleased WS show from 1999, and two former vault package shows Jack White at Third Man 2012 and Dead Weather Live at the Mayan 2009.) So some interesting shows available that only previously existed in limited and now out of print sets. Perhaps Jack is considering using Nugs to get some out of print limited stuff back out there and potentially as a way to lowkey release other material that isnt quite to the standard or is too similar to other Vault releases. Either way it could be very interesting.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  17. ConnieGuitar

You may want to grab these while you can as they probably won't be up for long...

Night 1 - Thurs 8/29

RockRoom likes this.
  18. ConnieGuitar

Night 2 - Fri 8/30

RockRoom likes this.
  19. ConnieGuitar

Night 3 - Sat 8/31

RockRoom likes this.
  20. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Seeing them tomorrow in NYC. What time do they usually go on, and is there an opener?

21. ConnieGuitar

For the Ryman shows, they came on around 9:15-20ish.

Olivia Jean (ex-Black Belles) was the opener; not sure if she will be up your way.

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Very cool. I saw the show in Tokyo in April, and no one had heard any of the new tracks before, but the small crowd was going absolutely bonkers. It was this incredibly intense, wild and happy crowd. I wish I could have filmed a song or two, but they locked up our smartphones. Is he doing that at all shows? It was a pain in the butt getting them unlocked after the show.

JoeRockhead and Davidmk5 like this.
  23. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Thank you for answering that , i was wondering how it was after the show & lining up etc.

I have Zero problems with a no phone/pictures/video whatever ~ Locking my phone up ? THAT i have a problem with , what if an emergency happens & some nut breaks loose in the club ? now everyone's are locked up , i know that's a VERY rare thing & chances are it wouldn't happen but it will only take once for a big lawsuit to happen .........

last few times i saw peter frampton he asked everyone to take all the photos/videos you want 1st three songs & then please put them away , i'd say 90% of the people were good about it , a few didn't but it mostly worked ........

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I thought about that, and I would assume that the band's management thought about it as well and decided to take the risk. It might have been a one time thing - the Tokyo show took place a long time before the album release, so a leak would have been significant.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  25. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I'm from Boston and they were hear last night & they are doing the phone locked in the bag here , tonight they are doing a 2nd night as well , most fans really like it & i certainly get it for me i don't like the idea & not because i have to take pics , i saw Prince many times 7 was always told "no photos" & i never had a problem with that ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.