THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Probably there are not many fans of the Rega DAC and the Rega Exact MM out there. However, when these two are paired with a Rega Elex-R amplifier, the result is so engaging. I suspect you’d get similar results with a Rega IO or Brio.

2. Philip DiGennaro

Philip DiGennaro Forum Resident

Bought a Rega P10 turntable about a year ago. From day one as soon as I set it up on my rig the fuse blew on the PSU. I head down to my local Home Depot and bought some replacement fuses. No luck, the fuse continues to blow as soon as I turn on the PSU and hit the 33.3 button to start the TT. Called the purchasing dealer and they get the distributor, Sound Organization to send me some fuses. The fuses I received from them seemed to work and I’m a happy camper. Fast forward a few months later and I needed to relocate my system into a another room of my house. After I hooked everything back up , the PSU blows the fuse as soon as I push the 33.3 button to start the TT. Back goes the PSU to Sound Organization. They cannot duplicate the fuse blowing issue, but the technician tells me he’s putting in a higher value fuse. No big deal, the higher rated fuse is only a few milliamps more than the original fuses and it will solve the problem. The higher value fuse blows as soon as I plug it in and hit the 33.3 button. Back it goes to the distributor, SO and they send me a brand new PSU. You guessed it, the “new” PSU blows the fuse as soon as I push the 33.3 button. So I plug in the PSU into wall without plugging it in the TT and it doesn’t blow the fuse which leads me to believe that the motor on the P10 is the source of the problem causing the fuse to blow on the PSU. Sound Organization says that it is not possible. So, as of now, I am stuck with a $6000 plus TT that doesn’t work and what seems to be a complete abandonment from the dealer and distributor. I have not disclosed the dealer I bought the TT from because this issue is ongoing. However, I will be revealing this well known dealer,if they do not do the right thing and refund my money for this defective product. I am done.

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

+1

For me, Rega is one of those brands where going all-in pays off. I'm currently all-Naim (speakers excepted), another brand where (in my opinion) that seems to work the best.

Minorityshareholder and Ivand like this.
  4. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Fuses are designed to blow for good reason....if the fuses continue to blow from different power sources perhaps your house wiring might need a look before blaming what is plugged into it?

Chris_PNW likes this.
  5. KWJ2

KWJ2 Forum Resident

No speakers are Dynaudio Special Forties

MC Rag likes this.
  6. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

Probably a stupid reply, but are you sure you have the correct PSU for the P10 controller ? There's no way a mistake had happened regarding the PSU's ? Rega have a few different ones for the likes of the P3 and the neo and P10.
    Probably not the issue.

7. Philip DiGennaro

I doubt there’s anything wrong with my house wiring. None of the other components in my rig have any issues with the house wiring.

8. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I t was worth a go...Mark's reply may be worth investigating...

Mark Shred likes this.
  9. Mark Shred

I only mention this, as I've seen a stock P3 psu plugged into a Neo controller and the fuse went bang! They all kinda look similar, but are very specific to the individual TT and controller. Good to note as well, is they don't always instantly blow. Sometimes the process is slower ( hence the dealer not being able to make a diagnostic of the issue. A dealer should know all this, but believe me....I've encountered a few Rega dealers who honestly know very little about the products they are selling ! ).

10. Philip DiGennaro

The PSU is the correct one for the P10.

11. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

If no help or action from involved distributor or dealer, get in touch with Rega's representative sales manager Paul Darwin which occasionally post over on Pink Fish.

Clay B and bhazen like this.
  12. Mark Shred

One of the reasons I am Rega owner is because they put right any problems that may develop. I've had my fair share of issues, but everything was sorted and at no cost to myself.

cut-out and GordonM like this.
  13. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

A nice fresh Exact 2 to replace an old, worn-out one. All the sparkle is back in my office system :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Pmds55889397

Expanding vinyl collection :agree:

Echoes Myron likes this.
  15. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Very nice looking tertiary system! And a very clean slab o' vinyl there!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  16. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I have a Rega io and Rega Kyte speakers in my desktop setup now. Nice sound I’m hearing and uplift in the general aesthetics! Obviously near-field listening at low-moderate volume whilst working. Speaker placement secondary to other stuff I have to have on my desk! The speaker stands are desktop stands by Fisual. Solid construction with rubber mat under speaker and small rubber feet. The Kytes are just sitting on them without the plastic foot or the speaker stand adapter which you can buy to accommodate larger speaker stands. I’m using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 via USB from my laptop. I’ve had the DacMagic a long time and for what I’m using it for, it does a great job.

[​IMG]

17. Pmds55889397

May I ask if those stands are universal available ?
    Seem to lift this size speaker well up from table.

GordonM likes this.
  18. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I ordered from AV Online (via Amazon UK). Only medium size was available which is quite a small top plate - but adequate for resting these speakers on. I am not sure how available they are where you are - the manufacturer, as I mentioned, is Fisual which you can probably find other outlets for. Hefty for their size - 8kg+ weight.

19. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Actually - I take back that weight for the stands. I don’t know where I thought I saw that. I havn’t weighed them :) but they are certainly much lighter than that.

20. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

your dealer and sound org should send you a new table with factory matched PSU and motor. however, have you tried plugging at someone else’s house or another location? if fails, there, may help the case, which is unfortunate in that one of the selling points to the P10 is a factory matched motor and PSU. maybe that is something else to mention to dealer and sound org.

21. Pmds55889397

That was my worry, as I have those speakers I know the form, cannot fit ordinary stands top unless very deep or if you buy the extra Kyte adapter.

GordonM likes this.
  22. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

That was my concern too. I didn’t want to spend the money on the adapters. If you go to the Fisual web site you can see the top plate size for the “medium” stand. It is smaller than the base of the speaker but they sit very securely on top - obviously in no way fixed - but certainly adequate as far as I’m concerned. If you want I can send you a close up picture by direct message.

Pmds55889397 likes this.
  23. Sndsrtaud

Sndsrtaud Active Member

I'm in need of a phono-preamp. I'm looking at the Fono MM. How might that compare to the phono circuit in the Elex-R or the new Elicit MkV (one of which will be coming soon as my current int amp is quite old)? Is the Elicit's phono stage as good as/ better than either of these amps? How about the Elex-R? Thanks in advance.

24. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I can speak from experience that the phono stage in the Elex-R is very good and Rega has always received high marks for it's built-in phono stages. I always used it with a Rega Exact and really enjoyed the sound. I can't imagine that the sound of the Fono MM is a major departure from the sound of the Elex-R but I've never heard one.

Sndsrtaud and this_machine like this.
  25. I'm pretty happy with that combo: Elex-R, DAC-R, P6 & Exact.... looking to upgrade my DAC though because I want to get into R2R NOS audio...

Sndsrtaud likes this.