THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I agree.

And each new generation of the PSU has sounded better than the last, to my ears.

Morbius likes this.
  2. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The 50th P3 is actually a pretty good deal with everything you get, and about $600 less than an Exact equipped P6 (as _cruster mentioned). Plus you get the 50th badging and walnut "finish". I have a feeling it's going to be a popular table for Rega and us Rega dealers.

FramboGND, Nephrodoc and Frazeur1 like this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Fantastic deal. I'm not sure about the Walnut myself having not seen it. The P6 is a good deal better and I've heard it in a very high end system dem where it didn't seem lacking, I'm guessing the better bearing and hub are critical. Which is better for you is going to depend on the overall system cost or where you are upgrading from. Some people are happy with the 3 as a final TT as born out by the number of early models still in use. If you are serious about vinyl records and have a large collection I would recommend something better but still relatively affordable.

goldwax likes this.
  4. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Has anyone who lives in the US ever investigated buying Rega products while in traveling the UK to avoid the costly import fees? Is there a risk of customs violations when returning home?

I ask because a Rega Exact is £295 in the UK, which is currently $369 in US dollars. It’s $675 to buy from a US dealer. I like to support local dealers and all, but that s a huge markup. Might be pocket change for some members here, but not for me at the moment…

shug4476 likes this.
  5. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

I’ve never purchased in the UK, but I’ve purchased a few small things FROM the UK via mail, and never been dinged for customs. For cartridges, speakers, or accessories, buying while abroad would be a no-brainer; anything that needs power from the wall is a different proposition due to voltage differences.

There are a handful of known resellers who will gladly ship you a “grey market” cartridge in the US; you’ll pay a lot less money, but you do give up the warranty if that’s a concern.

Sometimes when I want to laugh/cry, I “window shop” and dream at Analogue Seduction; lots of things you can order there, pay shipping to the US, and STILL save a bunch of money on by bypassing the US distributor. I’m a big believer in people getting paid fairly for work that they do, but take the Planar 3 50th Anniversary: in the UK, the list is 899 GBP, which is about $1,125. It’s $1,695 here - a $570 premium; nearly a 50% increase from UK list. Is the distributor really providing $570 of value? Obviously it costs money to get it here, but that’s a substantial premium.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  6. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

It is annoying but certainly works both ways. For example, Mofi Sourcepoint 10 is $3999 but £5000!
    Same with the Schiit stuff when it's rarely available.

_cruster likes this.
  7. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

It used to be the case that you don’t pay 20% VAT (tax) on UK exports, which would make it even cheaper, though the Government may have changed this in the past year or so. A good dealer should know. There’s probably a (smallish ?) US import duty if you buy in the UK and declare the item at US customs on entry back into the US, which you could no doubt check on line. Don’t know if the warranty is affected or not. But again, a dealer should know (or ask Rega).

wellers73 likes this.
  8. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

I've no doubt - once you bring a middle-person into the mix, the price is going up exponentially. Shipping is also brutal right now between the UK and the US - I buy a lot of records from the UK, and in many cases shipping is getting to 75% of the price of the record, at least for new releases. Used stuff...I used to buy used records from the UK (via Discogs) pretty frequently, but often lately shipping will be 2x the cost of the record itself. It definitely helps suppress the impulse purchases.

9. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

For years I've made purchases from England and one recently from Germany. The US doesn't pile on tons of import duty, taxes and other fees on its imports like England, Europe and Canada due. I regularly order SACDs from England and in the past vinyl from Abbey Road before the started marketing their product here and also Wallen Bink and as I said the German purchase from Ursa Major and I don't think I've ever paid more than $6 - $10 for shipping and travel time has never been more than ten days to my mail box.

10. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I got a used P8 with Ortofon Bronze for $2500 all in. Of course, upgrading to the Apheta 3--even a used one--was quite the additional bite, but I think this combo or something similar can definitely be an endgame analog set up. (I've got about 7K records or so, so I'm pretty committed.)

Mr. Dean likes this.
  11. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

I saw this today on YouTube (did not watch it) but I know one Rega thread guy had some loose tonearm issues recently.

12. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

If being exported you would not pay UK VAT so cost would be around £245. Then though you have to contend with any taxes imports duties that might come winging your way.

wellers73 likes this.
  13. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

I've spent a lot of time on both sides of the big pond. I'm a collector of a vintage toys, Records, Sneakers and I'm a Skateboarder. Some things I'd happily buy in either the US or the UK and some things I'd NEVER BUY !! A turntable falls into the category of the later. If you're based in the US and like Rega, then buy from the US. The potential for problems is quite high. I'm a Rega fan boy and I have to acknowledge that rega don't always get things right the first time.
    You could drop money and go to hassle thinking you beat the man, but then develop a problem and the US dealership network will no doubt not be so forthcoming in helping.
    It's all very tempting, I know ! I've learnt the hard way and accept that the man likes his dollar/Pound too much to give mankind a fair deal.

wellers73, Mazzy and Mr. Dean like this.
  14. Candide

Candide Forum Resident

Hi Rega appreciators! I’m looking for some guidance. I’m upgrading my entry-level system this summer, beginning with a new turntable.

I’ve been long considering a Rega P6, but the newly-announced Rega 50th Anniversary P3 has caught my eye. In addition to being a limited-run table (walnut finish, special badging, smoked dust cover), the 50th Anniversary P3 includes the Neo PSU, the upgraded belt, and an Exact cartridge—all for $1695. The same combo for the P6 is $2245. If, hypothetically, I add a Groovetracer sub-platter to the P3, it would still be about $300 less than the P6.

The look of the 50th Anniversary P3 is divisive, but I happen to love it (as does my wife). I’m also drawn to a limited-edition table from purely a collector’s standpoint.

The way I understand it, if I went with the P6, I would essentially be paying $300 more for the platter and plinth. The platter is objectively better, but I will admit that the reports of P6 tables sagging, while likely anomalous, have given me some concern about the longevity of the tancast material.

On the other hand, if I go with the 50th Anniversary P3, I would have $300 to reallocate to speakers or other components.

For context, I have a 2.1 setup in my living room. It’s a nice listening space, but because it’s in a common area (with kids, pets, etc.), I don’t feel the need to go overboard until I have my own dedicated listening room, likely 5-10 years from now. This is not my “endgame” table, but it’s a table I hope to have for a very long time. Even when I get my own listening space, this table will remain in the living room to enjoy.

Am I foolish to give these two tables equal consideration??? Thoughts/advice is greatly appreciated!

15. Dhreview16

I don’t think you are daft to consider the two decks equally. The P6 will be better, but as you say, it’s more expensive, and it’s at “normal” price. With the P3 you get the Exact cart (rather than the Elys) and by my reckoning, at its special price, you basically get the Neo PSU thrown in for free. So arguably it’s better value, and has a certain cache as a 50th anniversary edition. If you like the finish, I’d go for the P3, but I get why others might disagree.

Morbius and Candide like this.
  16. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

That whole thread was made up of a lot of huffing and puffing by people who actually had no experience with the P6 or any Rega turntable for that matter and was merely irrational prejudice. My Planar 8 that is over 4 years old has it's skeletal frame made of Tancast which supports a main bearing, sub platter, motor assembly, tonearm and a triple laminated glass platter that weighs several pounds and is as flat and ridged as the day I first unpacked it. Tancast a polymer foam, in form is not unlike pumice which is molten rock foamed up under pressure with hot gasses and is spewed out of a volcano. It happens once cooled to be fairly light and hard and it even floats in water despite being made of stone. I don't believe the erroneous claims of the P6's plinth sagging have actually held up over time.

I do believe though that the 50th Anniversary P3 is a great deal and I had the pleasure of owning the previous version the RP3 equipped with the TTPSU and the Exact for several years prior to upgrading to the Planar 8 and thoroughly enjoyed it even without the sub platter mods.

Toneboner, GordonM and Candide like this.
  17. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

The P6 also has an aluminum sub-platter - instead of plastic, which is the first thing P3 owners upgrade.

Candide likes this.
  18. Mr. Dean

Mr. Dean Forum Resident

Buy once, cry once. Go for the P8. Better arm, better platter, dual belt drive and awesome good looks over the run of the mill looking P6. I bought the P3 and modded it with all the upgrades but still wasn't satisfied. Was kicking myself for not getting the P8 to begin with. Luckily recently I was offered a trade-in price for my upgraded P3 that was too good to refuse for the P8. I'm extremely happy with it. Every record sounds better.

19. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I've got a p25 since 2001.No problems.

Popsyr, GyroSE and Mr. Dean like this.
  20. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I love my P6 but I have to admit that if I was in your position, I'd get the P3 50th Anniversary.
    It's a great deal.

Candide likes this.
  21. Toneboner

Toneboner Forum Resident

I also have a P6 with an Ania cartridge. Absolutely love it! Also have an old RP1 with the basic carbon cart for my 2nd system.

this_machine and vinylvin like this.
  22. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

Make sure you get a NA version so the motor is compatible w/ 60hz. I'm not sure the wall wart is the only change. I'd research it because I'm really not sure.

23. Candide

Candide Forum Resident

Thanks! You hit it on the head. Ultimately, $300 is not a big deal. I can afford a P6, but I love the value and luster of the 50th Anniversary P3.

From a visual and tangible perspective, the anniversary table is something I know I would prize. It would be a great conversation piece befitting a living room turntable. The P6 is obviously gorgeous in its own right, but it doesn’t carry that same distinctiveness.

So the question boils down to whether the audible difference between the two tables is stark enough to usurp the “luster” of the anniversary table, or if the anniversary table’s included upgrades narrows that gap significantly. My gut tells me it’s the latter, but I’m open to being convinced otherwise.

24. Dhreview16

I forget (i.e. I don’t know…), whether the arm is the same on the P3 and P6, which is a consideration. It’s a very personal view, but I think the P6 is currently the anomaly in the Rega range. The P3 is arguably an audiophile (don’t like that word….) level deck, but in terms of value and quality the P8 seems very much the sweet spot. The P10 is better but there’s a massive price gap now. As a spare deck my Planar 3 is over 40 years young…

25. Mr. Dean

Mr. Dean Forum Resident

The P6 will sound better than the P3 no matter how they dress it up.

struttincool and Toneboner like this.