THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

I just want to reiterate that I love my P8/Apheta3 combo. This runs into a Bob's Sky 20 SUT and then to a Rega Fono MM Mk3. Absolutely killer combo. Checked speed with an SME strobe disc today just for fun, and it is dead on.

2. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

Dynaudio...bright???

3. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Yeah that’s what I heard. Maybe it was the room. But they were too bright for me.
    My proacs are much nicer for my taste. Don’t know if they are considered warmer

4. Nubs

Nubs Well-Known Member

About 2 months with my P6/Ania and I’m still blown away with every record I play. I’m finding time to listen almost every night.

5. Hello,

I have owned a pair of RS 10s for a few years now that have not been without issues and wonder why you bought those large PMCs. Was it a simple desire for change or did you experience any defects/issues with the RS 10s?

A few years ago I have had a very brief audition of the Osiris at a dealer and I can't for love or money remember the brand or model of the speakers. I am driving the RS 10s with my now quite vintage Audio Research Ref 2 version II pre and an Audio Research VT 100 III power amp. I am quite satisfied with the sound but always wondered if there is some magical synergy between the RS 10s and the Osiris.

I would appreciate any comments you may have on the Osiris/RS 10 pairing.

Thanks.

Pat

AmericanHIFI and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. mibrighton

mibrighton Forum Resident

The only issue i had with the RS10's was that both tweeters stopped working. Dont know if they were faulty or if i blew them , but they were replaced by Rega under warranty.

I much prefer transmission line speakers and had most of the previous Rega ones. But the RS10's were by far the best and a brilliant match with the Osiris. I suppose as the RS10's were designed as a match for the Osiris [and Isis] one would assume its an ideal match.

Depending on your room size , have you tried the side drivers pointing in and out. In my situation i much preferred them out .

If i was still using my previous room i guess i would still be using RS10's. But i had a larger dedicated listening room built where i wanted to get a more realistic live sound. That meant higher volume , greater dynamics , deeper better controlled bass. As good as the RS10's are there is a limit to what they are capable of.

Thats where the PMC come in. The fact that the Osiris drives and controls them so well is a great testament to Rega.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  7. nyrjoe

nyrjoe Well-Known Member

Hi all, I currently have an Elex-R. Been thinking of upgrading to the Aethos. I had tried the Elicit and much preferred the voicing of the Elex, so stuck with it. Can someone tell me if the Aethos is more similiar to the Elex or Elicit?

Ivand likes this.
  8. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

Same here with my P6/AphetaII/Aria combo.

So enjoyable sound!

I have problems not 'listening to just one more record' whenever I finish a record :)

9. R

Room is on the large size but quite irregular (sort 0f H shaped) with two alcoves being the best word I found for them. The main rectangle 29 ft. X 13 ft. One of the alcoves is approximately 6.5 ft. x 9.5 ft with one wall angled and the other alcove is 18.5 ft. x 12 ft. and this gives on to a staircase. Headroom is 8ft.

I went from larger speakers (Infinity Prelude MTS) to the RS 10s and I find that I now listen at lower volume than when I was younger and to a certain extent because there is some trepidation in pushing the Regas too far.

The sound is very engaging and has what I like the call the "spook factor": you walk into the room and you hear music instead of speakers. The bass is, for want of a better word, "musical". As I like to repeat double bass on jazz records sounds convincingly woody. I would not feel comfortable driving these speakers at really high volume though.

So let me just say that I understand your move to those PMC speakers quite well.

Regards.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  10. nyrjoe

nyrjoe Well-Known Member

Bumping this in hopes someone can provide some input. Thanks

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Haven't heard it myself, but the reviews say it is more like the Elex.

12. Echoes Myron

Quoting my own post and also cross-posting from the Apheta thread, but since I mentioned it here thought I would update that I went back down to 1.97 grams VTF. At the greater VTF (2.47), tracking was perfect, but the I missed the air and sweetness of the lower setting.

cut-out, ThorensSme and jheyesen like this.
  13. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I feel it's a good mix of both. Probably actually a little more similar to the Osiris than the other 2.

The Elicit really is quite good but, in my experience, takes quite a bit of break in time for it to sound its best.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  14. mibrighton

mibrighton Forum Resident

Going from the Rega website and other reviews it seems as the Aethos is more a highly evolved Elicit R than a baby Osiris.

But it is still very highly rated and regarded as another excellent Rega amp.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  15. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

Curious if you've noticed the same effects with the Exact...?

16. Echoes Myron

I honestly haven't played with it. It was just a set it and forget it kind of deal.

The Exact has a lot of critics, but I actually love it. It is a smooth, dynamic cart. I was actually shocked when I bought my Manley Chinook phono...I got it so I could move one of my RP6s up to a MC such as a Dynavector. While I will still do this, the Exact sounded so good with the Chinook that I put that immediate upgrade on the backburner.

wellers73, Eigenvector and cut-out like this.
  17. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut

I have a rp 3 /exact turntable just now , but thinking of upgrading to the rp6 . Not sure whether to put it on ebay or just get a trade in price . Cheaper option wouldv be just get the neo psu

18. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

They should definitely bring out a new DAC in the new livery.

19. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

I love my Exact, as well. I’m using it with my RP6 and either a Lounge LCRMKIII or a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE .

As you mention, it apparently seems to scale up quite well. There’s a guy on the PinkFishMedia forums who is using an Exact with his RP10!

Captain Vinyl and Echoes Myron like this.
  20. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident

I have a Planar 6 with Ania MC and Fono MC. Very happy with all of this.

Does Rega design their cartridges to same height? Since there is no easy was to adjust VTA, I assumed they did this for benefit of customers.

is there an accurate database that lists cartridge heights to compare which ones are same as Rega?

21. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

I've also had the Exact and like it's sound, however after switching to Apheta II and doing some "critical" listening, I find I enjoy music much more now. Of course such a comparison is completely unfair considering the huge price difference. But still, for anyone considering upgrading from Exact to Apheta II, I'll say the upgrade is most definitely worthwhile. The stereo image is very narrow on the Exact, which may not be noticeable when listening to the Exact on it's own, but once you hear Apheta II, it's hard to go back to the Exact for this reason alone. Add to this a sound that, while being more detailled than the Exact, is still superbly musical. It's also a lightning fast, dynamic and natural sound, whereas the Exact to my ears sounds slightly boosted in the bass area and "bloated" - it's like each note hangs on for a tiny bit longer than it should, smearing the sound. Not so on the Apheta II. The sound is crystal clear.

All this just to say that while the Exact IMO is a superb cart for the money and a cart I have enjoyed immensely myself, the Apheta II is in a completely different league (again, which it should be, given the price difference). So if anyone's on the fence about upgrading from Exact to Apheta II, I'll say go for it provided you can afford it of course. Same goes for upgrading from Ania to Apheta II. I've compared Ania directly to Apheta II and with Apheta II you simply get "more of everything" that is nice about the Ania. I have not heard the new Apheta, the Apheta III, so can't comment on that. But it's likely even better than Apheta II. The new Ania, Ania Pro, I also haven't heard.

EDIT:
    My turntable is a P6 used with Aria Gen 2.

22. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

They avoid VTA adjust due to stability and better sound.
    No problem in using cartridges with a few mm higher body, Rega don't recommend spacers.
    A guy on PFM forum explained the technicalities around that, sounded likely.

David Sonnier likes this.
  23. Echoes Myron

I agree. The Apheta 2 is a stunning cart and sounds fantastic through thr Aria.

HBJ likes this.
  24. David Sonnier

about where would “ a few mm” be over the threshold you think? Over 5? Less? I’m curious really.. My guess is +/- 3 mm. But I have no reason other than it seems too minute to matter, lol

25. David Sonnier

And does anyone know the height of rega cartridges??