The remix is so good I can’t listen to the original anymore. Any examples?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 19, 2017.

1. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Give me Steven Wilson's amazing mix of Aqualung over the muddy sonic disaster that is the original intent, any day at any time lol

ARK and rogertheshrubber like this.
  2. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

All in all I go with what sounds the best to me and makes for the most fulfilling listen.

I don't really bring "original artistic intent" into it beyond at least knowing how the original mix sounds sonically and making assessments with that knowledge in mind

ARK likes this.
  3. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I would point out that until the Steve Wilson remix of Aqualung arrived the ONLY version worth hearing was from our host on DCC.

The DCC did the best with a less than optimal original master.

Somebody mentioned the HD Tracks remix of Kind of Blue. Now I know some here like the MoFi SACD but personally I think that the recent remaster that HDTracks sells (and is now on Amazon HD as far as I can tell) is choice. Some weird noise artifacts are gone at the beginning which I really appreciate. Somebody mentioned the three tracks.....the first Japanese SACD actually offered the three channel mix along with the 2 channel mix. I favor the 2 channel version but it is fun to play the 3 track every so often. I am powerless before Kind of Blue....need a 12 step intervention I think.

spindly likes this.
  4. Sav

Sav Forum Resident

Status Quo - Rocking All Over The World - John Eden remix, absolutely wipes the floor with the original
    ( my 1st post on here having been a reader for a long long time)

5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

For me it's a case in which "the remix is so good I consider both versions essential".

Plan9 likes this.
  6. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

Radiohead king of limbs remix album

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Agreed although the solo in the stereo version is miles ahead. I think this is a prime candidate for demixing and remixing if the technology ever gets there. The mono is a muddy mess on some tracks and the stereo buries Keith off to the side.

8. shareefruck

shareefruck Forum Resident

Errr... even if we were to accept this subjective difference of opinion as fact (which would be pretty silly/childish/petty to begin with), that still wouldn't make the comment a valid conclusion. Me making a remark about purist attitudes and listing what I personally find to be examples of improved remixes (but let's assume for the sake of argument are objectively bad) would not at all imply that I think that anyone who dislikes those examples are too purist.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  9. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Beatlemaniacs crazy good Stereo Mix of Good Vibrations

10. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Different strokes I suppose. For so many years I didn’t even know Aqualung was poorly mixed.

I didn’t love everything on it, but the songs I did love (the usual suspects), I still love. I don’t think I’ve heard a remix. I don’t know that I’d love it anymore than I do already.

11. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

The club remix of U2’s Even Better... is even better.

Lewisboogie, c-eling, Binni and 2 others like this.
  12. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

13. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Ace of Base : Never gonna say I’m sorry

14. shareefruck

shareefruck Forum Resident

Oh I didn't know that.

In any case, though, it seems like the Valentin Mix is generally considered the official version (and the one that most people would listen to). I like the Closet mix a lot more.

DTK likes this.
  15. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I am the Walrus -Beatles love version.

Paul_T, Lewisboogie and maui jim like this.
  16. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

I forgot all about Body Movin! Nice call as the remix is 1,000 times better than the album version.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  17. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

If you like the album the remix is a must buy.

Plan9 likes this.
  18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Wild Honey

Mt.Elga and Lewisboogie like this.
  19. For me, that would have to be the remix of "Sgt. Peppers....", but the original mono version is still a good listen.

bhazen, DPC and Lewisboogie like this.
  20. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Beatlemaniacs stereo remix of good vibrations is the definitive version in my eyes

21. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

What he said!
    The 1999 remix was a vast improvement over any previous version (vinyl or CD).
    Our gracious host notably disagrees, however.

DTK and duggan like this.
  22. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

The audience for this here might be particularly small unless there are any Hebrew speakers amongst us, but when Hed Arzi first issued the Kaveret albums on CD in the 80’s, they were made from a real mishmash of sources.

Some tracks used tape sources of the original mixes, some tracks were (bad) needledrops, and others were new remixes done from the original multitrack tapes. From one track to the next it could be a totally different source. Sometimes it even changes within the same track!

Some of the remixes are quite different and maybe honestly preferable. If I ever spin the original LPs some new differences will occasionally stand out to me. Earlier this morning I spun Tzafuf BaOzen and I noticed some differences in the vocals and drums on Shir Malachim that hadn’t stood out to me before.

On Sipurei Poogy, Nechmad is suuuper different. The spoken intro is totally different on the remix (re-recorded?) and lacks the tape echo heard on the original. The lead vocal is double tracked on the original, single tracked on the remix, and the harmonized guitars seem to be mixed much louder which gives the whole song a stronger feel overall. I think I prefer the 80’s remix.

Shir HaMakolet is also pretty different, the original is overall dryer and the guitars aren’t nearly as prominent.

23. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

I wish it did, and some songs succeed, but I still prefer the orignal mix despite how wimpy it is - John Eden's remix sounds too empty for me most of the time - he seemed to just take elements out of the mix a lot of the time and what's left isn't particularly great. IMO of course!

24. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Well, this is a remix of the original single version, but what a version

Binni, c-eling and Yost like this.
  25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

8 bit thread reminded me of this:

whisper3978 likes this.