The Rolling Stones - 1966 Copyright Preservation Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MHP, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll Thread Starter

Plenty of unreleased recordings made by The Rolling Stones has been released by ABKCO via Youtube.
    There's a couple of alternate takes which hasn't been released, but some of it is just the bootlegs we all know.
    Also, there's a lot of live recordings, some of which are great, some are sing-back and some are badly recorded.

The take of Mother's Little Helper is as far as I know, unreleased.
    The rest of it can be checked out on the suggested links coming along with the videos.

Mother's Little Helper - Alternate Take

warewolf95, kagan, Yorick and 25 others like this.
  2. slane

slane Forum Resident

Thanks. So does this release on Youtube qualify as a release to protect the copyright?

MLH seems to be an alternate vocal take rather than a fully fledged alternate take. I'll check out any others later - how many are there?

And when did this get 'released'? 2017 is too late...

DK Pete, Tommyboy and forthlin like this.
  3. MHP

It seems that publishing via Youtube qualifies as a release.
    There are 30 videos in all. Again, beware that it is not as fantastic as it looks...
    Release was 28. December 2016.

4. MHP

An alternate 19th Nervous Breakdown. Both vocals and guitar licks are different.

5. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I believe so. The EU Directive says it has to be "lawfully published or lawfully communicated to the public" within fifty years. Source: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:265:0001:0005:EN:PDF

I think the main reason no-one else has done this is...wouldn't you rather make money off of this? I guess keeping the copyright portfolio is their main interest, and it's more valuable than whatever they'd make selling these.

6. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Thank God Dylan's camp has a different approach!

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think if they packaged this up in a nice looking set, people would buy it despite the youtube vids. So they're probably not out of the woods in that respect.

Maybe they'll organise themselves a bit better for anything left to be released to preserve copyrights?

What is the deal between the Stones and Abkco. Can Abkco release what they want or do they need to have the Stones agree to anything?

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. That's the thing - I'm not sure if Abkco can release any outtakes, at least for profit - maybe this is why they went the YouTube route?

eddiel likes this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They've released Charlie Is My Darling and the Ya-Ya's bonus tracks. So it doesn't seem to be impossible.

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They also released the IBC demos and BBC 45 on the Super Deluxe version of GRRR!

11. MHP

They can't release anything without The Stones' knowledge and their approval.

12. Sorry I omitted a key word - 'studio' outtakes, and covering the contract period that they were with Decca.

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I prefer that "Mother's Little Helper" to the original!

Jose Jones and DTK like this.
  14. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Interesting early version of "Dandelion" (under the working title, "Sometimes Happy, Sometimes Blue" with a guitar-based arrangement and Keith laying down a guide vocal.

Yorick, DTK, Sammy Banderas and 7 others like this.
  15. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I love stuff like this, thanks for the links!

ex_mixer likes this.
  16. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Notably missing is the only unreleased track from the proposed Could You Walk On the Water album, "Lookin' Tired."

DTK, vonwegen and sparkydog like this.
  17. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

I don't believe that's true. Going by all I've read about it, ABKCO owns and controls all the old stuff (up to but not including) the Sticky Fingers LP) lock, stock and barrel because of the infamous contract the Stones signed with Klein back in the mid sixties which gave Klein all the publishing and ownership of their tapes. All Jagger -Richards gets from this stuff are songwriters royalties, nothing else. They haven't had control or say on reissues of their Decca era material since 1970.

If ABKCO does consult the group on releases like these, it's mostly just out of courtesy. Legally, ABKCO doesn't have to.

18. empirelvr

Jeez...we can't even get a legit stereo release of this...which has been available in stereo "if you know where to look" forever??? :crazy:

19. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Thanks for posting these. Interesting stuff!

20. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I dig this one. Is it one of the previously unreleased tracks, or is it on a boot that I probably already have?

DK Pete likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A stereo mix with those vocals has circulated for years. There's an additional guitar overdub on what ABKCO just posted.

I wonder if the guitar overdub is contemporaneous or not.

vonwegen and empirelvr like this.
  22. empirelvr

It's been booted...in stereo...but not with the constant lead guitar noodling heard in this mix.

23. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I find it hard to believe that there are only 28 unreleased Stones tracks form '66.

24. empirelvr

I guess it depends on what the track layout was and if it had a tape reduction how the earlier tracks were grouped. It sure sounds like the same guitar playing the noodling and the second lead line. In fact it doesn't sound like an overdub to me, but the second guitar left "fader up" throughout the song as opposed to what sounds like it being "brought in" only when needed on the other version of the song. But what do I know? I'm only a drummer, man. :p

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As far as I know, the RCA sessions up through 1965 were done to 3-track, bouncing between machines to do overdubs. Thus, there would have been a 3-track tape with the backing across 2 (or perhaps 3) tracks, which was then dubbed to another tape or tapes as the vocals were added (which is why both the master and alternate vocals exist). The guitar heard here would have required a bounce to another tape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.