The Rush cd mastering thread (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Yep, the 40th Anniversary edition came out earlier this month. The bonus material isn't enticing enough for me to buy it, though.

rcsrich likes this.
  2. Ambassador

Ambassador Forum Resident

Good to know!

@Ben C. , do you have any DR levels for the CD?

rcsrich likes this.
  3. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

Sorry for the lateness - I had to figure out how to get that info, install foobar, etc. :)
    Here we go:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Rush / 2112 40th Anniversary
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR10 -0.14 dB -12.77 dB 20:39 01-"2112" (I. Overture, II. The Temples Of Syrinx, III. Discovery, IV. Presentation, V. Oracle: The Dream, VI. Soliloquy, VII. Grand Finale)
    DR10 -0.44 dB -12.52 dB 3:35 02-A Passage To Bangkok
    DR12 -0.41 dB -13.86 dB 3:19 03-The Twilight Zone
    DR10 -0.40 dB -12.67 dB 3:53 04-Lessons
    DR12 -1.63 dB -18.08 dB 3:34 05-Tears
    DR12 -0.51 dB -14.20 dB 4:02 06-Something For Nothing
    Number of tracks: 6
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1411 kbps
    Codec: CDDA

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    DiabloG and Ambassador like this.
  4. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

And while I'm here, the orig Anthem and MFSL info for comparison:

Analyzed: Rush / 2112 (ANC-1-1004)
    DR13 0.00 dB -16.17 dB 20:38 01-2112
    DR13 0.00 dB -15.89 dB 3:34 02-A Passage To Bangkok
    DR13 -2.43 dB -18.12 dB 3:19 03-The Twilight Zone
    DR13 -1.27 dB -16.77 dB 3:53 04-Lessons
    DR12 -5.24 dB -22.23 dB 3:35 05-Tears
    DR13 -3.16 dB -18.34 dB 3:59 06-Something For Nothing
    Official DR value: DR13

=================================================

Analyzed: Rush / 2112 (MFSL UDCD 590)
    DR12 0.00 dB -14.92 dB 20:34 01-2112
    DR12 -0.91 dB -14.56 dB 3:35 02-A Passage To Bangkok
    DR13 0.00 dB -15.78 dB 3:19 03-The Twilight Zone
    DR12 -0.36 dB -14.59 dB 3:52 04-Lessons
    DR12 -2.86 dB -19.88 dB 3:34 05-Tears
    DR12 -1.46 dB -16.19 dB 3:59 06-Something For Nothing
    Official DR value: DR12

=================================================

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    rcsrich and Ambassador like this.
  5. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Hopefully someone can help me as I'm about to lose my mind LOL

I'm trying to track down an original Canadian Anthem CD of Hemispheres, and I have not been able to find an original ANC pressing, but have come across a WANK 1014. The seller states the matrix reads:

Matrix / Runout: TV72<019> WANK1014 fabriqué par/made by DISQUE AMERIC CANADA

I realize there are other WANK 1014 pressings with this matrix info:

Disque Americ SMW1 019 ANC11004

So what I'm trying to figure out is do I need to find a WANK CD with the actual ANC matrix etching to ensure the original Anthem mastering, or do all WANK CD pressings contain the same early mastering?

I'd appreciate any help with this, thanks.

6. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

SA-WEET! Many thanks! Just won auctions for Hemispheres WANK and 2112 VANK CDs, can't wait to hear them.

rcsrich, Ambassador, Ben C. and 3 others like this.
  8. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Nice! I have that Rush CD Mastering Comparisons chart saved to my bookmarks. A valuable resource for this confusing catalog.
    I probably got it from the far reaches of this thread!

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Tell me about it, excellent resource, thanks again for posting. Just bookmarked it.

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

1) Congrats on the WANK Hemispheres! I have the ANK (same as the ANC and WANK) and it is my favorite of all of the various the Hemispheres CDs.
    2) Take the 'Preferred Mastering' section of the Rush CD Mastering Comparisons chart with a grain of salt. It's a very helpful guide, but I'd disagree with a few of the choices... personal preferences and tastes y'know. And then there's albums like RtB and Presto where I had to play with the audio and make my own 'versions' to make those albums work for me.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  11. TheJosh

TheJosh Forum Resident

You will not be disappointed. Those are both my go-to when it comes to the CDs (I have the ANC for Hemispheres, actually). In fact, I consider the 2112 VANK to be the best sounding 2112 of all time (least bright/shrill version, no doubt). Enjoy, my friend ;)

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

:righton:

I pick them up tonight, as it turns out the seller lives in my city!

Ben C. likes this.
  13. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

I've seen folks post samples before, so I'm assuming it's ok, as long as it's not the whole song or album.
    Took a few minutes to truncate and upload some comparisons for 2112 and Hemispheres...

2112 - samples of "Something For Nothing" from the ANC-1-1004, MFSL, and 40th Anniversary:
    http://www.bentox.com/2112samples.rar
    Hemispheres - samples of "The Trees" from the ANK-1014, AFZ, and 1997 Remaster:
    http://www.bentox.com/hemisamples.rar

rcsrich likes this.
  14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I have the Hemispheres WANK and have a tough time telling it from the 2015 hi-res...quite good. Any thoughts on how the 2112 VANK compares to Sean's 2015 remaster? I find the hi-res still a little harsh at the top end...

Ben C. and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  15. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

It *may* be helpful with that sample comparison I posted... I know you're referring to a different Sean Magee remaster of 2112, but this one (for the 40th Anniversary CD) has been described as a solution for folks who thought his previous remaster was 'too warm'. Sooo... yea. I think it's too bright and harsh in to the top end - sounds similar to your impressions of the 2015 hi-res. Take a listen - would be interesting to hear your thoughts re: these 2 Magee remasters.

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

Also, I forgot to add until later: rcsrich - on the slim chance that you didn't know - the 2112 VANK original release and the 2112 ANC are identical I believe. So if you want to get an idea of what the VANK sounds like, you can check the sample I posted :)

rcsrich likes this.
  17. DiabloG

I got the chance to re-evaluate the '04 Counterparts remaster, and no surprise, it blows. The DR is the same as the original and Studio Albums remaster, but it's really inferior. Bright EQ and distortion are present, especially on The Speed of Love. The '04 remaster is an ear-bleeder, but that doesn't matter a whole lot since the AF SACD is the cream of the crop anyway. If you can't afford the AF, get the original CD or the vinyl reissue with the download code, You'd even be better off with the Studio Albums remaster, which I slightly prefer over the original disc. Just stay away from the '04 version unless you're a collector.

rcsrich likes this.
  18. DiabloG

May as well post this here since my opinion on this CD still stands:

As controversial as it may be for me to admit this, I'm not a big fan of the Moving Pictures Atomics. While they're not outright bad, there are some things that I don't like about them. My first problem is that the fade-ins at the beginning of Red Barchetta and Vital Signs start about 2 or 3 seconds too late, though most people probably won't mind about this. Another problem is that the the vocals and drums sound a little thin in some spots, and the top and bottom EQ frequencies are a bit rolled-off to me. I should also point out that S. P. Honeybunch thinks the source used for the Atomics might've been an LP production tape. I have some evidence that might support this observation:

According to a frequency chart that I made earlier in this thread, it looks like the "02" and "03" Atomics have virtually no differences in EQ. While the "03" does restore Tom Sawyer's opening drum hit, Vital Signs and Red Barchetta still have the late fade-ins from the "02" Atomic. This may be a sign that both CDs were mastered from the same tape. I also have this old US cassette copy of MP, and guess what? The opening drum hit of Tom Sawyer is partially cut and the late fade-ins of RB and VS are present; just as they are on the "02" Atomic. So this means that the US cassette, the "02" Atomic, and possibly the "03" all came from that same tape.

Currently, my favorite MP mastering is the MFSL, though I'm really gaining some appreciation for the SHM and Anthem VANK-1030 as well.

Ben C. and TheJosh like this.
  19. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Try the WG Green arrow. My preferred at the moment.

20. 32XD Japan1

The ANC / VANK is the best version of 2112 out there.

rcsrich and TheJosh like this.
  21. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Which cd version of Hemispheres had such loud tape hiss, you could barely hear the classical guitar at the beginning of La Villa?

I remember hearing that and thinking, wth?

22. DiabloG

Isn't the Green Arrow the same as the 02 Atomic?

23. 32XD Japan1

On paper I believe they are the same mastering.

24. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Same as the 01, and a poor mastering overall I feel, but is an extremely rare and very expensive CD - you know what that means on this forum.

BTW Unlike most collectors here, I do not let the cost or scarcity of disc factor into my SQ evaluations and believe me when I say if you dislike the 01 MP atomic then from a sound quality standpoint AVOID the Green Arrow. The CD I mean, as I enjoy the TV show.

25. TheJosh

TheJosh Forum Resident

I've said it before and I still stand by it: the ANC-1-1030 of MP is, IMO, the best CD version of this album, artifact and all. The 03 Atomic has never gelled with me. I absolutely hate the way Neil's drums sound on it compared to other versions. The MFSL is a strong second for me.

DiabloG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.