The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Yep, this is the one to have all right! :)

I also have the Trident / RAYS permanent Waves that I got in trade along with a few other excellent albums for my DCC of Aqualung, which I didn't care for :D It sounds AWESOME!

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Ya' know I luv ya' bro....but you just gotta' relax!
    All the heavy lifting has already been done and posted many, many pages ago for most all titles.
    Take some time and see why the chosen ones were chosen.

boboquisp and latheofheaven like this.
  3. Slick Willie

Yes, The Rays of P Waves is another top tier cut, no matter the country of pressing. On Hemispheres it is a UK only offering.

canonlon and latheofheaven like this.
  4. latheofheaven

Yeah, I know, I know... Still... you kinda want to compare the ones you have, and I really looked for any information on the Trutone pressing and there was nothing mentioned on the thread about it.

But, yeah... I think that is what I will do now... :)

I'm pretty much all Rushed out... o_O

Slick Willie likes this.
  5. Slick Willie

Cool! For COS look for a Skyline Phonogram label without mention of Phonodisc, although early Phonodiscs are not far off pace.
    Not going to get but so much out of this title.

latheofheaven likes this.
  6. latheofheaven

Heh... I kind of think I'm pretty much done with good ol' COS right about now...

[​IMG]

Nick Brook and Slick Willie like this.
  7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I really enjoy this pressing.

But I also enjoy the latest version, which is actually more dynamic. Yes, the low end on the Trident is fantastic. But for dynamics and crankability (on my system), the remaster inches ahead.

8. Slick Willie

Interesting.
    I like how realistic the vocals sound and the overall tonal balance of the recording, and I find it very crankable.
    You have however piqued my curiosity.

9. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I actually really like the new Hemi-Vinyl, and especially the dead quiet. I could also say it's incredibly smooth, with a fair boost in the"oomph" range. Pretty nice DR as well. La Villa really is a marvel cranked high on this vinyl. It's one really thick piece of vinyl.

10. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Are you referring to the 2019 RSD Hemispheres picture disc or the 2015 Sean Magee release or the 2018 40th Anniversary version???

11. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

40th boxset.

boboquisp likes this.
  12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

OK Rush friends, something pretty cool just happened...........I found a sealed (original shrink intact) US Permanent Waves album with the lower left corner clipped at a used book/media shop. I opened it immediately when I got home and checked the wax, and it has RAYS on side one but no signature on side two. Is this typical for Ray Staff? Listening to side two as I write, and both sides sound equally great.......best I've heard. The spindle hole is a little tight, and the bottom left corner of the cover and inner sleave are missing. But I'm not complaining, as for me it's all about the sound. I had to fork over $22, but well worth it.

13. latheofheaven

Sounds awesome to me mate, good goin'! [​IMG]

Slick could tell you better, but I THINK that some of the RAYS may only be on one side, but the whole thing is indeed that. Especially if you don't notice any sound differences between the sides, I would guess...

ODShowtime and Dr. Funk like this.
  14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I just compared my new RAYS cut to my double sided one that I've been spinning for many years. I can't tell any sonic difference, but my new pressing is a little quieter and cleaner. :thumbsup:

15. latheofheaven

:righton:

16. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I have two pressings and both have one side Ray's cut. But both sides sound consistent.

ODShowtime and Dr. Funk like this.
  17. Slick Willie

Assuming the one sided Rays are US pressings:
    Trident (and/or Rays) would not always sign both sides of their cuts for the UK pressings, but most cases the stampers would be sequential.
    While it is a good sign that both sides of the one sided signed pressings sound similar, I do know that not all are sensitive to detecting different mastering on the sides.
    Since two sided US Rays signed copies exist, that is what makes me more comfortable calling one a Rays cut album.
    Add to that I find it odd that Trident (or any mastering house) would send unsigned metal out for export.
    It would make it difficult to trace any issues that might pop up with their cuts, even having problems with other stampers wrongly attributed to theirs.
    But then again....strange things happen in the vinyl world.

Dr. Funk and latheofheaven like this.
  18. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I thought I would share the deadwax info on my newly acquired US Permanent Waves.....

Side one- PRCW SRM 4001 A ch 7-1 RAYS

Side two- PRCW SRM 4001 B ch 8-1-1

There is some type of etching after RAYS on side one (maybe cut??), that I'm not able to discern. I did some more comparing with my two sided RAYS, and the sound is almost identical to my ears. I wish these guys would sign both sides when they cut an album, it would save us a lot of trouble. :D If I was a betting man I would say Ray cut both sides, but his signature is not there. :shrug:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Slick Willie likes this.
  19. Slick Willie

FWIW, I just thought of another one side etched Rays were IMO, he cut both sides, - Coda ( Zep).

20. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Right on Slick.......good example. :thumbsup:

latheofheaven and Slick Willie like this.
  21. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I have the same writing on both my copies and it actually looks like it's says Ray's cot. Strange. I'm almost positive it's an "O", and not a "U".

latheofheaven and Dr. Funk like this.
  22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Mine sorta looks like "cct".

Brian9229 likes this.
  23. latheofheaven

Mine kinda looks like 'butt' and has a big sideways '3' after it...

No... I'm just being silly, sorry... [​IMG]

24. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Too much more deadwax reading and I'm gonna be silly...:agree:

Dr. Funk likes this.
  25. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'm right there with you Rushman.....Some of these Rush pressings are not easy to easy to read, as I've now resorted to using LED flashlights and a jeweler loupe. Good grief. :confused: