The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Here's my baby that I use...

[​IMG]

Dr. Funk likes this.
  2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Cranking my two sided Gilbert Kong cut of 2112 this rainy evening.....man, this thing is a MONSTER!

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Is that a Skyline label?

Echoes Myron and latheofheaven like this.
  4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Yes Sir. :righton:

5. Slick Willie

Cool, I knew that some of those Masterdisks were on the earlier label.

Dr. Funk and latheofheaven like this.
  6. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Hey, good idea. I might try that.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  7. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Nice! I've only one pressing of 2112(1st Holland)it sounds so nice I never sought out another, but you see, my fav press of Hemispheres is the GK, Everytime I wanna hear the album, I always grab that one. The sound is just so f-ing tight! Now, I wonder if the 2112 GK has those same kind of characteristics? Obviously there's variables, being different albums, but 2112 and Hemispheres do in my most humble opinion, sound similar,(production wise) so I would be pretty happy to start dragging the nets looking for one, even if it only improves on my 1st Holland copy. Because, after all, one can never have too many copies of 2112.

Echoes Myron, ODShowtime and Dr. Funk like this.
  8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

"Tight" is a great descriptor...…..the sonics on this pressing knock me right on my ass (every damn time). I found this beauty in a record shop not so long ago, and has become the jewel of my Rush collection. I recently played it for an "audiophile" buddy of mine and he claimed it was the best 2112 has ever sounded. I will post the deadwax info for you this evening.
    I wish I had a GK of Hemispheres to compare, but not yet.

Echoes Myron and Brian9229 like this.
  9. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Nice, thanks! I'm certainly looking forward to getting back into a hunt. It's been a bit, and oh how I love the hunt.

10. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

So, I pulled out my 1st Holland 2112, and for the first time I noticed a little number in the bottom corner of the paper sleeve. I've had this album a couple years and never noticed. This # really looks like a sort of limited edition number. But how can that be? Weird. I've been collecting limited editions of various blurays, uhd's, and even certain music platforms for many years and I've only ever seen the numbers set up like that in LE's. I considered for a sec that the sleeve could be from a different album, but 1.) The previous owner assured me all was original. 2.) The last number being 76 is certainly quite a coincidence, being the release year. 3.) Some sleeves indeed have the same kind of number configuration, but they're always actual months and years the sleeve was released. These obviously aren't that. Does anyone have any idea? Oh, and my copy has a notch taken out of the top right corner, so probably promo. And another thing, this the only Rush vinyl I've ever seen with the release year stamped with a copyright in the deadwax
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    boboquisp, Echoes Myron and Dr. Funk like this.
  11. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Have you heard the JAMF ? I think its slightly more revealing then the Kong .

12. Slick Willie

It's a beast!

13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I have.......but I prefer the Kong. I have one on the US Mercury black label.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    kannibal and Echoes Myron like this.
  14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Here you go Rushman.....

US Mercury Skyline label

Side1 SRM-1-1079 A PRC-1 MASTERDISK G.K.

Side 2 SRM 1-1079 B PRC-1 MASTERDISK G.K.

Echoes Myron and Brian9229 like this.
  15. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Rockin' out to a JAMF ATWAS 2112 currently.

So anyway I found a German COS a few weeks ago for a reasonable price. It's cool because it has a laminated single jacket and the US gatefold artwork is on a slick inner sleeve. I put it on tonight but I wasn't digging the sound. I only got through half of Bastille Day and I had to throw on the US first pressing and it sounded a lot clearer. Not a scientific listening test but I don't have time for all that jazz right now.

16. latheofheaven

Yeah, I also went for a 1st German pressing (and a 1st Dutch!) I need to go back and re-listen, but IIRC my first impression wasn't that hot...

ODShowtime and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Thanks man, PRC brings back many hours of research. Look forward to finding one. Already scouring discogs and few others.

Dr. Funk and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I could be wrong, but I think that represents the week and the year; i.e. week 42, 1976 - not necessarily the week of release, but the week that particular record was pressed. I am a big fan of Krautrock, and I have many German records with the same date notation stamped on the inner sleeves.

19. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Ahhhhhh, thank you for pointing that out. Although 2112 released 12 weeks into the year, the first two num seem like month and day unsplit up. Kinda weird, but that's totally it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Echoes Myron likes this.
  20. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Yeah I thought about you when I grabbed it. It's cool and pretty rare but not a great sonic achievement based on my limited listening.

Who wants to talk about decade-old regrets on Friday night?

I always think back to that wonderful day I spent perusing the flea market (I guess it's just a market in Europe) in the red light district of Amsterdam and finding the record dealer. This was way back when I just wanted any pressings of a record. I came away with mint 2112 and Farewell to Kings "Dutch audiophile" pressings for like 7 euros each. I always wonder, was the Moving Pictures Dutch RL there too and I ignored it because I already had a copy of Moving Pictures?

This haunts me.

latheofheaven and Echoes Myron like this.
  21. latheofheaven

Oh yeah... I actually happen to have a 1st Dutch 2-RL pressing of Moving Pictures and it blew my friggn' PANTS off! :yikes: Absolutely stunning! :righton:

ODShowtime and Echoes Myron like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

It took about 5 or 6 years but I finally found a US RL Moving Pictures in the wild!

I had finally given up and bought a copy here in the classifieds last year. So now I have two, a NM copy and the new VG+/NM copy :)

MP only shows up in the used bins here a few times a year. Most copies I see are non Masterdisk, or side 1 RL/side 2 HW or vice versa (I also have one of these). Also as is often the case Ludwig does not always initial both sides so you have to check the handwriting. Similar to Grundman, his script is very easy to spot.

I love the power and separation of the different instruments on the RL, the bass lines on Limelight for example.

Have not had a chance to compare my HW side with the corresponding RL but from what I recal it sounds pretty good.
    The 200 gram reissue is pretty awesome to my ears as well.

23. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

A two sided RL of Moving Pictures still escapes me. I have also come across several different hybrids and interesting combinations similar to @Echoes Myron................I currently own a CRC (back cover) with Columbia machined stamped on side 1 with handwritten matrix on side two. I also have a side one RL with handwritten info on side two with no signature......I'm about 99% positive this one is not Ludwig's work or handwriting. The sound on side 2 is more veiled or muffled than the RL side. Vintage Rush vinyl is becoming much more scarce in my area...I've noticed a considerable dropoff in albums just in the last couple of years, and I it seems I haven't come across a copy of Moving Pictures for some time. But I'm always looking, and I do enjoy the hunt. :cheers:

24. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I've got a Howie side 1, Ludwig side 2. Actually been looking for an all Howie cut :laugh:
    Along with you and Doc, Rush is pretty rare around here as well. Think the last title I found out and about was Presto, -that was years ago.

25. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Yeah I don't see a lot of MPs these days. Someone gave me an RL awhile back but side two had a horrible gash so I've passed it on. I also have a CRC copy that doesn't sound bad. The inner is a different color between some of these copies; it's weird. Some white some red lettering.

I was able to find another double RL when I started looking again but I don't see MP at all anymore. I just want that Dutch copy. It's probably a bit quieter than most US copies.