The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

So my Permanent Waves is only a side 1 RAYS. Side 2 is a Trutone cut. Only $10 so it's all good.

But WOW sthe Ray side did not disappoint. Huge soundstage but just way more energy and punch than my HW copy. Very sharply defined bass and guitar with more air around the cymbals. Hotter cut for sure. The HW, while not bad, is a little softer in comparison. The Trutone side also sounds good but lacks the energy and dynamics of the Ray side.

So now I just need to find a two-sided RAYS :)

Recommended.

c-eling, Slick Willie and Dr. Funk like this.
  2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Yep.......I'd say you're right on with the description of the Ray's. I found a sealed one about a year ago which is quieter than my previous one. Great sounding pressing.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

So the US imported/used metal from Ray Staff's cut?
    Neat!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I only have a few albums with his signature in the wax, but his work seems to be on point. Coda by Led Zeppelin and Sniff N The Tears are two other albums that come to mind........I may have a couple more. It seems the majority of his album work was in the late 70's and early 80's.
    I believe there is a Ray Staff cut of Hemispheres floating around.........I would love to find one. :righton:

ytserush, c-eling and Echoes Myron like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Cool!
    Interesting the US was using his work.
    As far as I know I think I only have a UK 12 Inch of OMD's Enola Gay with his sig, would love to check out his other cuts :)

Echoes Myron and Dr. Funk like this.
  6. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

The only cool Rush record I've found lately is a Columbia Santa Maria pressing of 2112; JAMF. The sound is out of sight! Probably the best version I own. Everything is very smooth and balanced. And powerful.

7. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

From what I could find - UK only on those cuts.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  8. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

I’m catching up on this thread, and I decided to pull out my copy of Permanent Waves. Was happy to discover it’s a Ray’s on both sides!

ToddBD, Echoes Myron, c-eling and 2 others like this.
  9. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I feel like I may be repeating myself in this thread. I just wish there was more to learn and talk about. My apologies if I ever say the same thing twice.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  10. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

90 pages in most dont care I think.

saundr00 and ODShowtime like this.
  11. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Just grabbed a copy of Power Windows. What a great album. Well, side A, that is.

I have almost all of Rush's great albums except 2112. Should I grab the recent reissue or search for an older pressing?

12. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Do you like instant gratification or the thrill of the hunt? Early copies with "JAMF" stamped in the deadwax sound great, as do later copies with MASTERDISK GK. Depending on where you are located, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a good one in the $20 range.

wellers73, Echoes Myron and Dr. Funk like this.
  13. Echoes Myron

Agree with @ODShowtime but I will point out the hologram star on the reissue LP is wicked cool! Sounds great too.

ODShowtime likes this.
  14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Sage advice Showtime...….I was basically going to write the same thing. :cool: I have a skyline label GK that I prefer ever so slightly over my JAMF.

c-eling, ODShowtime and Echoes Myron like this.
  15. Slick Willie

:yikes:

16. Slick Willie

Yeah, most aren't gonna read many of the 80 pages.

Leonthepro likes this.
  17. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I just found a copy of Permanent Waves with "Rays Cut" on both sides. Honestly, not as good as my "HW Mastersound" pressing. The vocals are not as clear and the bass and separation are a step behind the HW Mastersound pressing. At least that's what I'm hearing on my system.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  18. Echoes Myron

Interesting. I felt the Rays was head and shoulders above. Respect your opinion though. Are there different Rays lacquers out there maybe?

Dr. Funk likes this.
  19. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I only got Rays cut on one side, no other initials on the other side so I dunno, will have to listen to it I guess, he didnt have to sign all the Lacquers.

20. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

My experience is totally different than yours...…..My Howie PW sounds nice, but doesn't have near the energy and punch as both of my Staff's. The drums and bass are so much more active and dynamic. I prefer the vocals also.

ytserush and Echoes Myron like this.
  21. Slick Willie

Do you mean Masterdisk?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  22. Slick Willie

I agree with you, but it's all subjective.
    Different ears/gear /preferences can yield opposing opinions.

ytserush and Echoes Myron like this.
  23. Echoes Myron

Very true. I appreciate being able to learn from all the experience and different takes on what we are hearing.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  24. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Yes, Masterdisk

Slick Willie and Echoes Myron like this.
  25. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I found an RL Moving Pictures this past weekend.........Masterdisk RL on both sides, and the vinyl is pretty with just a few surface marks here and there. The album cover and the inner are a little rough, and the cover has to be the flimsiest jacket I've ever come across. A slight breeze might blow it away.

The pressing sounds great with that big RL signature sound. Snagged it for $8.

pexie, Sci-Fi Kid, marcfeld69 and 7 others like this.