The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Imaging feels unclear to me.

2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

It's funny how certain albums very rarely still have the posters, but others almost always do. KISS albums are hit and miss.....the vinyl is usually trashed along with the covers. I don't think I've ever come across a Cream Goodbye with the poster still in the cover. The poster in Master Of Reality by Black Sabbath is another super rare find.

Congrats on the red Canadian...….those have gotten pretty pricey lately. Seems like you got a nice one. :righton:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Interesting......not to my ears.

Slick Willie and Echoes Myron like this.
  4. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Dang I didn't even know Goodbye had a poster. I'd say Let it Bleed and Master of Reality are the two I've never seen and I've looked.

Yeah the red hemi is expensive since they're all in Canada. The seller was in the US and had another very rare record I wanted for an awesome price so I spent a little. It was from the war chest though!

Man I got into vinyl because everything was a dollar. I'm so far from that now!

Dr. Funk and Echoes Myron like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Interesting, Playing side two just now (MP) Ludwig, there is a left channel drop out on The Camera Eye about 7:15

6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

As personal taste vary so much, a statement like that might not be very useful as we have no reference as to what your "in general" is.
    Might be better to reference the title with another mastering?

7. Slick Willie

Cool, but I did not hold the CDN red in such high esteem. I found it more in line with the US Kong cut

8. Leonthepro

I am comparing, but just with my recollection of other rock classics that sound great.

9. Slick Willie

Compare it to Perm Waves and you may not think it sounds as analog?
    Everything is relative.

10. Slick Willie

Still, not very useful as far as the best cut of MP is concerned.

11. Leonthepro

Dont have another cut of it, although I doubt there are much better options.

12. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I haven't done any serious comparisons, but I hold the UK up much higher than the GK. I really love the UK.

13. Slick Willie

:righton:

14. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

I'd recommend UK vinyl up to HYF. They just sound really good to my ears.

15. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Even so, it's the first sighting of a cardboard inner sleeve. Signals and Power Windows are the others. Still wonder how decisions like those are made.

16. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Does seem that way. Not that I've looked recently as I've stopped myselffrom going too far down the rabbit hole, but finding an outside cover in decent shape is more difficult that finding a decent inner cardboard sleeve.

c-eling likes this.
  17. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I found an original Atlantic DMM pressing of Presto the other day. I have never heard or owned any versions of this album in any domain, but this record sounds pretty awesome when you crank it. The album was better than I expected, closer to their 90's sound than I thought it would be.

boboquisp, ToddBD and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I found a good one this weekend. I have had bad luck with Exit..Stage Left. My go to copy was a Canadian copy because it had RL on all 4 sides. It doesn't sound much better than regular US copies to me and was over-graded so its a bit noisy. Other copies I've had were not great. Even the recent reissue was bad; my copy has some skips and I didn't realize this until the return window was closed. So I didn't have an awesome copy of the record, which is one of my favorites.

I'm at the record store and I see this

[​IMG]

Hmm. I pick it up and see it's a German pressing. I have a German Caress of Steel that's nothing special and no one talks about German Rush records. I see the deadwax:

• Matrix / Runout (Side 1, stamped): 10 AA 6337194 1Y MASTERDISK 1V
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 1, etched): SRM·2·7001·AS·G
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 2, stamped (-BK is etched)): 10 AA 6337194 2Y MASTERDISK-BK 1K
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 2, etched): SRM-2·7001-BS-G
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 3, stamped (320 etched out)): 10 AA 6337195 1Y 320 MASTERDISK 1
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 3, etched): SRM-2·7001-CS-G-
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 4, stamped (-BK is etched)): 10 AA 6337195 2Y MASTERDISK-BK 1L MASTERDISK
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 4, etched): SRM·2·7001-DS-G-
    So it's from MASTERDISK. I check the handwriting on the SRM-2·7001-CS-G and it looks the same as US copies. So, looks like this is clearly a case of the US plates going to Germany. No RLs anywhere but that's ok, I assume he still made the decisions and someone else cut it.

This thing is so pristine and clean, so German, it's marvelous! It was a bit bass-heavy upon first spin, but man, I really feel like I finally have my forever copy of ESL. It hits hard!

And funny thing, I had sold my Rush reissues to a buddy, and he recently bugged out and sold all his vinyl. All MY reissues were sitting there at the record store along with this copy, even my ESL with skips. Pretty funny.

pexie, mahanusafa02, hi_watt and 4 others like this.
  19. Slick Willie

Masterdisk, so yeah...US metal used.
    The BK's should still be nice...just not the initial pressing.

20. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm not sure there is an earlier German pressing. This one has the blue labels, the other on Discogs has those black Mercury labels from the 80s. Either way it's a good one that I recommend.

21. Slick Willie

Speaking of earlier stampers....prob only from US?

22. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand your inquiry. I can tell you there are two German vinyl listings on Discogs, this one with the blue European Mercury labels, one with the 80's labels with black background and fiery lettering. Both have the MASTERDISK stamped on all sides.

I'm thinking Germany never pressed a copy from tapes, just from the original plates, which appear to me, to be from the first pressing sessions. This part of the deadwax "SRM·2·7001·AS·G" looks like the same handwriting as my US copy: "SRM-2-7001-AS-HRM" from "Hauppauge Record Manufacturing Ltd." That US copy has some sides RL and some sides BK. I believe that there are no US copies with RL on all 4 sides.

Also, my Canadian all RL copy seems to have the same handwriting but it's harder to tell because the catalog number is different.

The "G" in the German deadwax makes me think these plates were cut at the beginning specifically for Germany.

23. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Every vinyl copy of Exit Stage Left that I've heard has sounded muddy to me.....just some more so than others. I have a US copy with Masterdisk on all four sides.

Side one...Masterdisk BK
    Side two...Masterdisk
    Side three...Masterdisk BK
    Side four...Masterdisk RL
    Pressed at Hauppauge New York.

One ESL pressing I recommend staying far away from.....RCA Music Service. Good grief, it's so veiled and lifeless that I keep checking my ears to see if I have plugs stuck in them.

24. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Yeah, the tapes are muddy. I think the German vinyl really works for this one though. I never thought about it before, but there it was just sitting there begging to go home with me. So crisp and minty. This store is freaking nuts man I keep thinking there's nothing left to find and I walk out of there with cool stuff every time. It's great that people from all around the world come here to die.

I even got some really cheap big Pioneer speakers to put outside to combat my low-life neighbors and their garbage music. They're going to pay.

25. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

:uhhuh: Pioneer made some gigantic speakers back in the day.

ytserush likes this.