The Rutles "All You Need Is Cash" DVD--Still great after all these years!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The Rutles "All You Need Is Cash" DVD

Karla had never seen the pre-fab four so I ordered the DVD from Amazon. They did a pretty good job restoring the thing I think. I hadn't seen it in 20 years and thought it held up pretty well.

Karla loved it and because she had heard me playing the songs many times over the years, she could sing along with "Ouch" and others. This was a bit weird, because she was seeing the imaginary film footage that went with the imaginary songs, but since they weren't imaginary to her (having heard them so much before) she could watch the thing as a sort of fourth dimension reality. It's hard to explain, but it wasn't exactly coming off like a brilliant pastiche to her, but sort of like a "parallel universe" type thing. Odd but we both enjoyed it. Eric Idle's commentary seemed funnier to me after all these years for some reason.

Since we watched this right after a month of watching the Beatles' Anthology it was indeed like a parallel universe. When the original Rutles' film was broadcast back in 1978 none of us had really seen much Beatles' footage for a long time. The Rutles was a sort of nostalgia trip back then I guess. Now that we can see the real Beatles images whenever we want thanks to the wonders of the Anthology, the nostalgia part is gone for me and the funnier aspects of the thing I enjoy more now.

Mick Jagger's comments are really great, because they are honest, especially as to why the Rutles broke up.

Does anyone else have this DVD and if so, what do you think of the program? It's not the greatest thing ever filmed, but I think their heart was in the right place when they made this.

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I have it and I love it. The songs, especially, are just a work of loving genius that hold up well by themselves. I mean, when have you ever heard a parody of a GUITAR SOLO(in "Love Life")?

George obviously gave it a seal of approval, going so far as to appear in it. Lorne Michaels is not given enough credit for his involvement in it(hence the appearance of several SNL "Not Ready For Prime Time Players"), continuting a Python/SNL collaboration that was ongoing at the time. The main actors are wonderful as well; It was a stroke of genius to cast an INDIAN guy as George!

A loving and knowing parody that stands the test of time. The DVD quality is quite good.

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Steve,

I have this disc, and it's one of the best satires ever made. I especially enjoyed George Harrison as the news reporter.

Apparently, Idle's currently in post-production on The Rutles 2: All You Need Is Lunch. We'll see how that goes.

4. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I have this too :D for me it chock full of nostalgia and brings back so many childhood memories as we also had Rutland Weekend Television http://www.rutlemania.org/rutles1.html which was one of the television programmes that I was allowed to stay up past my normal bedtime to watch (when I was 10) :)

All the best - Andrew

5. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

The songs are amazing. I believe if they had been released in the 1960's they would have been hits.

6. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Hi everyone....

Loved it from the first second.

IIRC it was repeated pretty quickly on UK TV. Not sure if that was by popular demand or as a parody over the MMT fiasco!

Can believe that Neil Innes had to waive his rights to half the royalties, because Chappell wouldn't fight the court case.

http://www.rutlemania.org/aynic7.html

Cheers,

Nobby.

7. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Oh yeah I've got it on dvd. Its a classic no doubt. When it was first broadcast I thought it was brilliant! I remember several high school friends at the time just didn't get it. I said the more you know the Beatles story the more you can appreciate it.

8. Steve Hoffman

Attached Files:

9. Steve Hoffman

I love this one:

Attached Files:

10. Steve Hoffman

'96 publicity photo:

Attached Files:

11. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

12. Steve Hoffman

He's probably pissed.

Here is my RAREST Rutles record!

Attached Files:

13. Steve Hoffman

This is what they looked like when they recorded My Ronnie:

Attached Files:

14. Steve Hoffman

At the Cavern Club:

Attached Files:

15. Steve Hoffman

Their best look, drinking "tea":

Attached Files:

16. Steve Hoffman

The last concert:

Attached Files:

17. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Is it true the album was recorded on 16 track and they then had to eq the hell out of it to get the "rutle" sound?

Nobby.

18. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Those pictures just make me :laugh:

"My Ronnie" , indeed

19. Steve Hoffman

Karla's favorite Rutles album:

Attached Files:

20. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

You play Earwig drums don't you Steve :D :laugh: :laugh:

All the best - Andrew

21. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

The name Barry Wom is one of the more subtle Rutle jokes.

mud-

22. Steve Hoffman

Heh. Yeah.

By the way, this is my favorite Rutles album, "Shabby Road":

Attached Files:

23. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Steve,

You wouldn't happen to own "Tragical History Tour" now, would you?

Gosh, I've always loved that film. Wrongly criticized, IMO, by people who failed to see the foresight in tours of English tea houses. :D

24. shakti

shakti Senior Member

I have a very soft spot for the "Get Up and Go" solo myself. :)

25. RDK

RDK Active Member

Perhaps the greatest thing about The Rutles - and yes, I have the DVD and it is great - is that the songs are really very good, parody or otherwise!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.