The Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2010-2011 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I haven't watched SNL in years. Even before I left for England in 94 it wasn't a must watch anymore. But since I've been back I've liked what I've seen.

Yesterdays ep was really good. Like JT as host.

2. Best episode in a long time last night. I am convinced that Timberlake should be a permanent member on the cast.

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

As much as it pains me to say it as I can remember those bloody N'Sync videos playing over and over on TV making me want to stab my eyes out....that JT is quite a multi talented guy.

4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

:agree:

First episode I've watched from beginning to end in many, many years.

It was worth the time.
    Never given Timberlake much thought before. Just another celebrity IMO.
    But he was brilliant, and so was Gaga.

Andy Samberg's Nicolas Cage imitation was great too :thumbsup:

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Being there since night one in 1975, and owning those first few (Belushi / Ackroyd) seasons on DVD, it warmed my heart last night to watch such a great episode. :agree:

Timberlake is a real talent, I knew I'd laugh as much as I did, and while I may not care for her music, Lady Ga Ga has one of the finest bodies I've ever had the pleasure to be a Pig over. :laugh:

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He *is* pursuing that. He hasn't made an album in five years and he has three movies coming out this year. "The Social Network" was his "Boogie Nights."

7. Good, I hope the films he chooses are right for him, great potential in my opinion.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Didn't you notice the previews for them during the show last night? They showed preview for both "Friends With Benefits" (which looks just like the recent Ashton Kutcher/Natalie Portman movie) and "Bad Teacher".

9. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Sorry, I've seen her do that bit many times, yet I still laugh. "I saw the word and I said it!" It's making me laugh just typing it.

10. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

JT is always strong on SNL, and last night was no exception.

BUT...I knew before watching it that we'd see a "Something...ville" sketch, a Barry Gibb talk show sketch, a musical short, and guessed exactly where they'd arrive in the show. He is good. They don't have to be that lazy when he's on.

And ENOUGH WITH THE DAMN GAME SHOW SKETCHES WITH BILL HADER AS HOST! Three last night alone. As Seth Meyers would say, "Really?!"

11. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I thought the same exact thing, especially with "Secret Word".

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I also say "Really?"

I thought it was a good episode, but I like last week's Helms-led one better, I thought it had stronger writing and skits.

I am so glad that Lady Gaga didn't actually give birth to something on stage. I didn't really need to see that gold dust smearing. :) I really can't say I enjoyed the musical numbers, but I thought she did fine in the skits she appeared in.

13. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

That's my only (small) complaint about last night's show. The writers tend to fall back on these phony game shows and the "panel shows" where the guests never get to talk. Often they're funny but I'd like to see more fresh ideas.

14. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Definitely the best episode of the year.

JT was terrific again and the writers poking fun at him on the “What's That Name?” had me roaring in laughter, despite how simple it was. And Jimmy Fallon was OTP good on the “Barry Gibb Talk Show.”

“Headline News” highlight was Bradley Cooper & Samberg's Nicolas Cage and it had a great ending with Seth walking out with Stefan.

15. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Once again, a terrific season!

16. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

You could tell Jimmy and Justin have great chemistry together. Their timing is just impeccable.

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Pretty good. The Digital Short was the best. They should release a blu-ray comp of all the DS's sometime.

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I enjoyed last night's episode, but every single skit was a recurring bit. Like someone said earlier, no need to play it so safe with Justin. There have always been recurring bits on SNL, but last night was ALL re-hashed.

19. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Which made me wonder if Meyers and Hader were leaving SNL. Any word on who are expected to leave?

20. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I thought about that as well. However, it's been a while since any of those were done, so still appropriate I'd say. If Timberlake hosts again perhaps they'll get a bit more aggressive with some new bits.

Wait, was the animatronic bit rehashed?

21. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

It was first done in this year's Jim Carrey episode, with Carrey, Killam and Hader as the robots, and Kenan and Kristen on the ride.

22. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

There was a new skit in the dress rehearsal that sadly didn't make it to the live show.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/243622/saturday-night-live-mozart-dress-rehearsal#s-p1-sr-i1

But even this seems like a partly re-write of the 'Coming To America' boat sketch from two years ago.

23. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I think the short was my favorite part of the (very good) episode. Song was freaking catchy as hell, to boot!

24. RDK

RDK Active Member

I agree. You can see it coming but it's still hilarious when it happens. :laugh:

25. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

That was great! He admits his new film is a retread of No Strings Attached, and rags on the Biebs ("Why don't you just put a wig on a chipmunk and train it to act like a black man?!")!

They should have axed at least one of the game show sketches, or the lame opening sketch and left this in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.