The Savagery of Ricky Gervais

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by the pope ondine, Jan 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

& Derek!

ted321 and Daryl M like this.
  2. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

A son is not exactly like his father.

While I agree with your characterization of Rickles' relationship with his friends, Rickles also disparaged everyone, not just his friends. While I liked Rickles in TV shows and films, frankly, I found his stand-up funny only about 20% of the time. By posting, "Don Rickles son," I was referencing a similar style/approach.

And I agree with your profile of Gervais. But I believe that there were times that a lot of people wanted to punch Rickles in the mouth too.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    aussievinyl likes this.
  3. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Don "Mr. Warmth" Rickles did it with love. Gervais not so much. However it was the most delicious skewering Hollywood has had in a while.

ssmith3046 and Lightworker like this.
  4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Thanks. Going to watch them both. I was surprised how hard it was to track down Extras. Library has a copy.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. Well said. Nothing like getting a one-way lecture from people who were never asked for their opinion. Nice to see them held accountable for it for once.

Billy Infinity and ssmith3046 like this.
  6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident Thread Starter

yeah don rickles always had that moment at the end where he talked about loving each other......I think ricky used to throw in a "just kidding folks" and the celebs were more into it, this year something changed and the brakes were off

7. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Can't recommend his podcasts with Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington enough. They were the basis of the animated HBO show (which is also golden), but absolutely hilarious.

And also An Idiot Abroad... so funny

8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

If anyone who should be held ‘accountable’ these days it’s those damn actors giving a crap about the world. (Oh brother)
    I love Ricky, brilliant guy, and just the other day I bought some tickets to his upcoming show. I just wished he had mentioned Netflix in his role call of reprehensible companies. Granted they don’t fit the narrative of his list of production companies who make ‘woke’ films and television while they simultaneously contribute to ecological devastation and slave labour but Netflix, whom Gervais has a long standing relationship with, has an arguably deeply troubling business ethos as well. I am just surprised he didn’t quietly indict himself as well, if he was going down that road. But that ‘ISIS’ line was a side splitter.

tmtomh and GodShifter like this.
  9. Gervais reminds me much more of Groucho Marx than Don Rickles.

Rooster_Ties and ssmith3046 like this.
  10. the pope ondine

classic!

i don't know, i kind of like when movie stars care about stuff like the environment and stuff...and i also like ricky taking the piss.... and yes they're all dirty in some way....i guess im just happy to be 'avin' a laugh??

11. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Ultimately, so am I. Ricky just isn’t above any critique. But, I can’t wait to see his stand up. Quite enjoyed the last one.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. the pope ondine

i wish he'd do one more series with Merchant....straight comedy

Billy Infinity likes this.
  13. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

the magnitude of narcissism in that room was so huge- they probably didn't even think he was talking about them.
    [​IMG]

ssmith3046 likes this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Comedy doesn't have to come from love. It can be from somewhere else entirely. Can Gervais be mean spirited sometimes? Of course he can, but he does it in a way that is funny and intelligent. Not everything has to be feel good and cuddly.

15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Boris and Natasha?

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nope...

17. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Ricky just flings barbs. Rickles did a high wire act. He would come out guns blazing, insulting everyone but then he would play the little moments against each other and spin them off in different directions and before you knew it, he made an entire act out of it. He was really a genius improviser and could work a room like nobody's business. Not to say Ricky isn't funny but what he does is not the same thing as what Rickles did. Ricky has very specific targets and is generally looking for a little blood, I think.

18. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

He’s an intelligent chap, but he’s only about 80% as intelligent as he thinks he is. One reason so many people prefer the US office to the UK version is that Daniels, Kaling et al. took the warmth that was there in the original and used it to counterbalance the nihilism. Sadly since the heights of the 2 part special, he’s generally (1) alternated between shock humour and spouting out his opinions and expecting everyone to agree with him. Essentially, he’s necone and remained Andy Millman in the Extras finale without the nagging sense of self-doubt.

(1) Life’s Too Short with Warwick Davis is a much better programme than most people realise (but it was about 10 years ago, mind).

19. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

The scene with Liam Neeson is a stone classic! No idea how they got through it.

Dan

jtiner and Etienne Hanratty like this.
  20. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

probably my favourite celebrity cameo ever.

nosticker likes this.
  21. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

What's the other show he did? the one about working in the old folks' homes? very good. you will shed tears and laugh as well. the show was before After Life. (too lazy to google it).

22. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Derek

George P likes this.
  23. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

thanks. that's it. profound and funny too.

ted321 likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

25. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I was thinking the same thing...Ricky on the receiving end of Bowie's barbs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.