The Scorpions on vinyl!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McLover, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

How does this one sound? I still need to upgrade my In Trance, Virgin Killer, and more of the 70's stuff. I have a Canadian Taken By Force and pretty happy with that one.

DoF likes this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No worries. Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback on it. Very much appreciated.

Think it's probably one of those albums like Genesis' Duke which sounds best on CD.

3. DoF

DoF Less is more...

hey guys do have this ? Scorpions - Acoustica

What's the SQ? What do you think about the performance. Thanks

4. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Very good.

Scorpions ‎– In Trance
    Label: RCA Victor ‎– RS 1039
    Released: 1976

[​IMG]

sathvyre and Doggiedogma like this.
  5. Monddialle

Monddialle Forum Resident

Hi,
    received a US promo copy of Crazy World yesterday so here is first impression on its sonics for everyone who admires this exceptional Scorps' album.

Absolutely wonderful, on par with original cd - slighly less impact in bottom end but with bigger space in top end.
    Signal ratio is equal to Holland pressing.
    It is not a DMM issue ( maybe a regular issue is Direct Metal ) but guitars and drums sound hooky and alive, very close to Savage Amusement DMM cut.
    Deadwax besides matrix numbers contains hand etched " (heart symbol) POGO " and " HuB" + spaceship logo stamped.
    If anyone knows whom abbreviation HuB belongs to I would appreciate.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. Stuevts

Stuevts Not drinking the kool-aid

HuB:
    Hub-Servall Record Mfg. Corp.
    Defunct US record pressing plant which was located in Cranbury, NJ. Hub-Servall was founded by Paul Miller in 1970 and was one of the longest running pressing plants on the East Coast. In 2004, Hub closed its doors and sold five Hamilton automatic presses to the RIP-V Pressing Plant in Quebec, Canada. In 2015 these same presses returned to New Jersey to be used by Independent Record Pressing, whose plant manager is Dave Miller, the son of Hub-Servall's Paul Miller.

hi_watt and Monddialle like this.
  7. KevinK

KevinK Forum Resident

Does anyone have a German DMM pressing of 'Love at First Sting' that actually says "Made in Germany" on the label? Or do they all say "Made in EEC" like in the pic?

DoF likes this.
  8. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I don't like the old lp RCA versions i have of Rainbow, Trance, Virgin and Taken. And Lonesome Crow on CD is amazing, so so on lp. Taken By Force i got on LP in the last reissue, with the original cover, sounds amazing. One of the few new LPs i have. Blackout, Sting, Animal and Lovedrive sound fine on LP. The cd of Tokyo Tapes sounds better than the lp to me. I like the cd versions of all these albums too.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  9. Monddialle

Monddialle Forum Resident

All European DMM versions that I owned contained EEC on labels.
    Made in Germany only on rear bottom of the sleeve.

10. Recently got two additional Scorpions albums on vinyl, and I think I found excellent pressings for both.

1. Animal Magnetism
    I had owned a German vinyl pressing before (on the low price re-issue "FAME" label). I didn't think it sounded very good, and I liked the old EMi CD better.
    But now I found an early (first?) German vinyl pressing (not "FAME"), and I think it sounds really good.
    It is this version:
    Scorpions - Animal Magnetism
    This record was still in very nice, NM condition.

2. In Trance
    I found the 2nd German pressing, still on the orange RCA label and also mastered by Guenter F. Pfanz (PF initials in the matrix), just like the first German vinyl pressing. I have several different records masterd by Pfanz, and I usually like his work very much.
    It is this release:
    Scorpions - In Trance
    I think this release also sounds very good. This one has a few clicks and pops here and there, I would rate it VG+, but the needledrop turned out o.k. after some very fine de-clicking with ClickRepair (on a low setting) and a bit of manual de-clicking afterwards.

I needledropped both of them already, so if someone wants to hear some samples, I can provide some 30 sec clips. I paid around $25 for the two of them, which I considered reasonable for such original pressings in decent condition.

Jam757 likes this.
  11. Which CD and which LP version were you comparing?

For CD, I think the old German RCA 2-CD set sounds best for Tokyo Tapes, a quite nice sounding CD.

For vinyl, I have an early German RCA pressing on turquoise colored labels, mastered by Guenter F. Pfanz. This pressing sounds great and still a bit better than the RCA 2-CD set, in my opinion. I did needledrop that pressing also, like I do for most of my records, so if someone wants to hear some samples...

breakingglass likes this.
  12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I kinda miss my Scorpions vinyl, but not the CDs. The Canadian vinyl & CDs all sounded great to me.

vinyl diehard likes this.
  13. Greenalishi

rjstauber, I have all of the scorps on old domestic vinyl. Only Virgin Killers was an import, got rid of it, couldn't take that original cover. Got Taken By Force on new vinyl when they were remastered sounds awesome, great cover too. Got the cd with the lp. Cool extra tracks. The old Tokyo Tapes lp and the Lonesome Crow lp pail to the cds for me. I think the Tokyo Tapes is just the standard American version from years ago. Tokyo Tapes i have two cds of, the new remastered version and a Japanese version. Both sound great. I like the extra tracks.

I was listening to a real cool boot on You Tube of the Scorps in England in 75. Uli was such a monster. Wish they would mine some of this cool Uli stuff for a release.

14. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I have a question about "Fly To The Rainbow" (PPL...stamped matrixes -A / -B, german pressing with orange labels): Sounds nice to me (early pressing), but the left channel is slightly louder on both sides...is it a known issue ??? What about later pressings (1983 version with black labels for example) ??? Did anybody make a comparison ??? That would be very interesting !!! Thank you very much.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  15. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Nobody ???

16. humanhands

humanhands Member

Just to add to this, I sought out the German DMM original pressing of 'Love at First Sting' based on advice from here, and was lucky to find a flawless original. The sound is big and bold — about as good as I could have hoped for.

17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Listening to it right now and it sounds absolutely fantastic! Truly an excellent quality recording and super material as well. This was a very well recorded album. I picked up this one and MTV Unplugged around Christmas time and I think this one holds the edge for me, although both are solid.

DoF likes this.
  18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I have the great sounding Fame issue you speak of and it sounds bloody fantastic!!

19. Must be there are different masterings available on this FAME pressing, the one I had was really not very good.

20. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I think what rjstauber was saying is that the original German 1st pressing sounds great but the later fame reissues do not. I have a UK 1st press Animal Magnetism which sounds veiled compared to the excellent German 1st pressing.

21. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

22. Greenalishi

They stopped at animal magnetism animal magnetism would be the perfect example of their premise

23. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

Strange, I have what I think is a UK first press of Animal Magnetism and it sounds excellent. It is much more powerful compared to my German pressings of the other albums. On the other hand I have never heard the German Animal Magnetism except for the Fame release from the middle of the 80's which was all too bright.

24. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

The UK is not bad by any means it's just the German has better clarity to me. Think it's closer to the master, UK was likely from a copy tape.

25. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I agree with this - the UK original sounds muffled compared to the German original.

Neilson77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.