'The Shure V15xMR is being discontinued'. WTF?!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Damián, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

2. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

The original V15V-MR, not the current VxMR, is what he was talking about. Shure stopped making those styli a few years ago after running off large batch to keep as stock. Any that you get from them now will have been sitting on the shelf for a while. They've estimated that they have enough of the V-MR styli on hand to last a few more years tops but after that...nothing, gone, that's it. Shure has said that since they're sealed there's no concern about them becoming unsuable for quite some time.

3. Roffensis

Roffensis New Member

As long as they don't discontinue the styli, like they did the N95HE, which was really good. Also, watch out for cheap and nasty replacement styli copies, I got one recently that went right back. The tip was mounted wonky, and the cantiliver was also out of true. So much for VTA. And it cost a bomb.
    *screams*

4. Damián

Someone at the Asylum:

Doesn't exactly sound like a new, improved model is in the works :mad:.

5. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I am saddened about the news!

While I have the previous generation, the V15VMR, I find it a very musical cartridge. Actually, I am listening to it right now, on a Rega P25/RB600 and listening to the Germanin Stereo version of Magical Mystery Tour. What great music the Shure makes!

6. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

You are indeed correct :mad: :(

I received this email from Shure today, in response to an email that I sent them a few days ago:

Mr Nino-Hernes,

Thank you for you inquiry into Shure phonograph products.
    :( :( :( :( :mad: :realmad: :( :( :( :(

7. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I wonder if they will still be able to re-tip them after the 5 years are up.
    Anyone know if they still re-tip other out of production styli?

Might have to mark my calendar to remind myself to pick up a spare 4 years from now. :shh:

8. Joe Nino-Hernes

I doubt it. The reason they are discontinuing the cartridge is the high cost to manufacture the styli.

This is indeed sad :( , however, I still have a feeling that Shure has something up their sleeve...

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

They should consider raising the price then, instead of discontinuing the cartridge. At the price it's been, it's an absolute bargain.

10. Joe Nino-Hernes

I agree! That is what Kodak did with Kodachrome film. Kodak was going to discontinue Kodachrome completely, due to manufacturing cost, however the public protested! They raised the price a few bucks a roll, and continued to make it. Maybe if Shure gets enough response, they will decide to keep it going.

11. Damián

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.