the simpsons rewatch 1-33

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zombie dai, Apr 24, 2022.

1. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own Thread Starter

yes, i finished season 32 the other day. i haven't seen 33 before so that will be new. all in all i really enjoyed it. it got sillier and further up its own backside. as someone said before, the america it was mocking no longer really exists so it lost that 'edge' and the jokes became about biker bars for cyclist, but i enjoyed it much more than most newer shows i've seen, because at the core it still is about storytelling and comedy

Sean, TAF8184 and vince like this.
  2. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

i consider seasons 2-6...possibly 7 the Golden Age....subsequent seasons have always been hit or miss and i havent bothered to check out any of the new eps the past decade or so

3. zombie dai

4. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Just borrowed season 5 from the uni library and already watched more than half of the season this evening. It has been years. My life was turned upside down by the death of my parents, among many other things. All of that happened between my last viewing of these episodes and tonight. It's truly been a special evening for me.

[​IMG]

Mindy is probably my favorite one-off character. No evil seductress (which would have been an easy and obvious choice), but instead a person as genuinely nice and friendly as Homer used to be in the show's first couple of seasons.

Edit: to be exact, she is mentioned in a season 7 episode and IIRC, can be spotted in the background during at least two other episodes. So not one-off in the truest sense of the word, but you get my idea.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    andrewskyDE, 905 and zombie dai like this.
  5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Ugh, so is mine.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"misterdecibel.....,is that a plunger on your head?"

mBen989 likes this.
  7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Season 5 is maybe the best of the entire series. Every episode is pure gold... an entire season of bona-fide classics. The rest of the seasons from the "golden era" are all fantastic too, of course, but the DVD of 5 would easily be a "desert island disc" for me.

8. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Yup. Not one bad episode.

Rotary Connection likes this.
  9. zombie dai

finally watched season 33. the biggest problem with it, for me, was the constant need to make episodes musicals with none of the intelligence of the earlier episodes and constant references to social media. the characters are becoming too 1D with lisa only obnoxious and homer just dumb. burns was the best character seasons 29-32 but was mostly missing. all in all, not the best season, for sure, but some good episodes.

Crack To The Egg and Pete Puma like this.
  10. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

I’m doing this (most of the way through season 28) and man is it bleak. I average about five episodes a week because of how unfunny most of it is. Once you get past the golden age, show never reaches those heights again.

JediJones likes this.
  11. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

Anyone who actually manages this feat of endurance has my respect. The handful of post-season 10 episodes that I've seen were truly terrible.

12. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

The hacker episode this season was surprisingly fantastic.

13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Was that last Sunday's?
    I'm gonna have to watch it.

14. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

It was a few weeks ago. The premise is supposed to be Lisa joining the Boy Scouts with Bart, so I went into it with low expectations. Then came the twist.

15. A suggestion that everyone watch the holiday favorite of mine, Skinner's Sense Of Snow. A great season 12 episode that easily matches their golden age episodes.

16. zombie dai

i'm on season 34 now. 12 episodes in, other than two which try to be 'relevant', this is the best season for a while. going back to simple storytelling

am i enjoying it more than s1-10? yes because it is new to me!

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've never seen an episode! Same with The Family Guy. I'm sure it's my loss, but I could never adjust to that type of cartooning.

18. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

On Season 31. A few decent episodes here and there, but it’s mostly a slog. The number of bad musical numbers, historical re-enactments and popular media parodies is endless. The show is leaning into the worst tropes.

19. darth caedus

darth caedus Do not be a magician - be magic!

20. darth caedus

season 35 is really good so far though the actors voices are pretty shot

Kevin j likes this.
  21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

and the voices! i hadn't watched a new simpsons episode in years, and found some of the voice work to be downright terrible. marge sounds nothing like she used to. same for mr. burns. way past time for a mercy kill.

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

23. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

The latest season contained more jokes which comment on the current culture, while not as amazing as the earlier seasons the jokes felt more relevant.

There is of course a risk with this approach as people seem very sensitive at the moment and you wouldn't want to offend the wrong person.

24. darth caedus

the jokes have always been relevant for its times, however, over the last few seasons the jokes have seemed forced, a series of set pieces conjoined by some nonsensical storyline. this season, the jokes feel less like skits and more like relevant parts of a story

Alternative4 likes this.
  25. darth caedus

Marge Simpson voice comparison 1987 - 2020