The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead Super Deluxe Edition 3CD+DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnBR, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don’t know. I have two, both Japan for Japan, bearing the Rough Trade label, but manufactured by different companies, as I recall. The real first press is 32JC, and the second released a couple of years later is VDP (so it is manufactured by Victor Japan). Never checked the mastering, but as I recall they both sounded good.

davers likes this.
  2. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

The 5LP box set is superb. I like the packaging and even the different artwork.
    The best part of your the release is the 2lp set of the alternative and demo versions. The live album is a ripper as well.
    Sonically its very good as well. Much better than the 2012 remaster.

swedgin likes this.
  3. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Does anyone have a rundown of the standalone live tracks that were released in the run-up to the set's street date (and where to find them)? I was noticing those on 7Digital but wasn't sure they had 'em all.

4. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

They're all on the Smiths official YouTube channel: The Smiths Official

One for each song on the studio LP (10 in all). Would make for a smart RSD release.

5. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Yes it would. Thanks for the link.

6. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

SteveCooks likes this.
  7. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

This is ear-bleeding though did have some popularity at the time:

8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I think I bought all of them from 7digital. It’s every track off the album. And 7digital sold them as FLACs as well

9. 24 Track Loop

24 Track Loop Forum Resident

RnRmf likes this.
  10. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just listened to the second disc on my way to work. I still think the alternate Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others is worth the price of the box itself

Pavol Stromcek, jimhb and tmtomh like this.
  11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Never bothered with it but today I found a sealed copy for a whooping 40€. File under "no brainer"! :evil:

Turntable and tmtomh like this.
  12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Live in Boston is what Rank should have always been.

tedg65, SoundDoctor, jimhb and 3 others like this.
  13. Neonbeam

Bought it at the Utrecht fair today and can't wait to spin it!

14. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Absolutely - the performance, setlist, and overall sonic feel of the Live Boston show are IMHO far superior to Rank. To me it was a pleasant surprise, and makes the value proposition of the QID deluxe edition a total no brainer, because it's like getting two albums in one (to say nothing of the excellent alt/outtakes disc - not only Some Girls... but also the full-length version of the title track).

15. Neonbeam

Opened it and have to admit, I actually like the alternative artwork. Let's face it: We've all got "The Queen Is Dead" in it's iconic original artwork at home at least once so..... :righton:

Covers, vinyl, Japanese (?) polyliners, all top notch quality but: How can such a lavish box come without book, booklet, at least some source of information? Oh dear.... it's The Smiths, is it? :biglaugh:

So far I've only made it through the live album and it's absolutely brillant, gives "Rank" a run. How such a fantastic sounding live recording can sleep in the archives for 30 years while we are getting one useless compilation after another is beyond me.... :help:

Any. Way. Big :edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs: for this set!

16. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

So is there a consensus on the best sounding vinyl pressing of this title? I have an original US LP that I think is kind of sibilant and bright. How does the 5LP stack up against an original UK or Rhino reissues?

17. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I can only speak to the Rhino but I think it sounds really great. Not sibilant at all, really good mastering. I'd say give it a shot.

18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I picked up an original UK when I was in England a couple years ago and it’s fantastic. A big step up from the original US. I also had the Rhino US reissue and the original UK just had a nicer presentation, so I sold it.

tmtomh, tin ears, funknik and 2 others like this.
  19. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Thank you for the insight!

ad180 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.