“The Soft Machine Collection” -Anyone have it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldReliable, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldReliable

OldReliable Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    I’ve been currently searching for vinyl pressings of The Soft Machine and Volume Two, after listening to the more than likely inferior version that Spotify has. It appears that the original Probe pressings of both are going for some change now a days, but I found this collection on Discogs of both albums together on the Command label from 1973.
    The Soft Machine* - The Soft Machine
    Anybody have any experience with this release? I tried to do some digging on the forums, and couldn’t really find anything on it. Price wise it’s a lot more reasonable than finding OG gatefold Probes for both albums. Let me know if there’s better pressings than this collection to be tracked down though, as I’m all ears.
    Thanks!
    OldReliable

2. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Bump. Can’t help but would also be interested if anyone has info

3. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

You live in Northern Virginia?

I don't know how important this might be to you, but I was in Baltimore about a week ago at the record store Celebrated Summer and they had multiple copies of the first and 2nd SM albums on vinyl. I did not look closely enough to inspect what pressing they were (considering the locale, they were almost certainly not UK pressings, but did appear to date to the 1960s). They were in the 20-30 dollar range, IIRC.

You could call the store and ask for more details.

Also, these were in the "S" section, not "new arrivals," so there's probably a decent chance that they're still there.

I'm a huge SM fan but am pretty happy with the sound of the CD versions of those two albums that I have and found a bunch of other stuff there that I wanted to buy, so I passed, despite having never in the last 15 years seen either of these two albums "in the wild" in anything other than completely beaten-up shape.

4. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

I've seen that LP but didn't't bother to buy it as I have the first Probes of 1 and 2. They aren't sonic wonders to begin with, so there's that. I seem to recall some suggesting that the Sundazed LPs from a few years ago was quite good. I think you'd be ok with the comp you posted, it may play a little noisy but probably sounds ok. I still find original Probes often enough and not priced too high.

5. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

I had that album in addition to the two Probe albums as they are in good but not great condition. Purchased it new and was great to have clean copies of those two beloved albums. From memory I recall that the pressings were pretty good but a little noisy and not as clear as the Probes so I wound up cleaning the originals and selling it off. Definitely worth picking up as I never see the originals in the wild.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.