The Sopranos: Last Season

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by musicalbeds, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger Thread Starter

Last night was the first episode of the last half of the final season of Soprano's....try sayin' that five times fast....and I was in heaven.

Lots of humour, great lines..."Is this it?"..... and a fantastic start to what should be nine great episodes to end the show in style.

I have a music question; does anybody know what/who was playing during the card game, just before things get out of hand... it was a jazzy instrumental number with lots of mood, and I admit I fell in love with it right away, despite not being familiar with it...any help on the song and author would be appreciated.

2. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I believe it was "Take Five" - by Dave Brubeck

It's a very famous jazz song.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you are correct.

4. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Yeah it was a great episode. Any guesses as to what will happen in the coming final weeks?

5. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Yeah, that line made me laugh, the acknowledgement by Carm and Tony that they are just waiting for the other show to drop legally to end their comfortable life.

Another really delicious bit was the drive down the backroad for Tony and Bobby, with Bobby visibly wondering if was going to get whacked...and Carm and Janice sitting beachside, both nervously checking their watches, both worried that Bobby was going to be whacked.

6. musicalbeds

Carm saying "Tony's not vindictive" was hilarious as well, as we get to see him prove her wrong by saddling Bobby with his first kill.

Thanks for letting me know the song title and author, I'm gonna seek that out.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

there are so many ways that this show can end, it is hard to speculate on just how.

personally i don't think tony soprano will die, it will leave open the possiblity for a movie down the road. but i do believe that many others will be gone before all is said and done.

renny

8. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I've been a big fan of this show since it started, but I really thought it meandered a great deal the last two plus seasons. That said, while I didn't think last night's episode could touch the first few seasons, I thought it was much, much tighter and well written and acted.

And, I remember the "Free Parking rule" from Monopoly sessions in the past...

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

The SACD of Time Out (which has the song) should be available at your local Bestbuy Canada, but it'll be pricey. Nice disc though.

10. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

Looks like Bobby left some DNA evidence as he had feared earlier. Something tells me this will come back to haunt him.

I also hope that they wrap this up in fine style. I'm looking forward to these last episodes.

11. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

as well as a hollow tip bullet spinning in the dryer, correct?

12. musicalbeds

Is that in 5.1?

I found a great version of it on Youtube as performed by George Benson...what guitar playing! There's also plenty of classic Brubeck versions as well...gotta love Youtube.

I think we can count on Tony not being killed...a Soprano's movie is definitely an option being considered...I think jail will be the inevitable conclusion to the show, we saw what could be the start of the ball rolling last night.

13. musicalbeds

I'd like to see; Furio coming back, the Russian coming back for Paulie and Christopher... and some other loose ends tied up.

But it's possible they'll save some plot lines like those for a movie... it's hard to say with Chase, he does create characters from nothing and they do disappear again never to be seen.

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yes, but it's hardly Brain Salad Surgery. Just some slight reverb.... and use of the center channel. Great music.

The Benson version is killer.

15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Yeah, throwing the gun down in the alley as he ran away wasn't the best move he could've made. Although he was in Canada, I'm sure there's an agreement with the US and Canada to work together.

I agree its too early to tell how they'll end this, but I thought last night was a good start. With that AR10 Bobby gave Tony for his birthday and the "We're gonna go play some golf with some people" and the drive down that dirt road ... I thought Bobby was gone after beating up Tony.

16. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Great use of tension in episode one. And Tony's facial expressions are priceless. Too bad this has to end, 'cause there ain't much else of this quality on tv these days. I wonder if David Chase has any future tv plans. How 'bout "Northern New Jersey Exposure", where a doctor from Alaska is escaping his required service and lams it to Jersey City, where he works as a mob doctor, removing bullets from wise guys that aren't wise enough to duck.

17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Aren't hitmen SUPPOSED to throw the gun away? Ala Michael Corleone in "Godfather". The torn shirt is where the DNA will come from and do Bobby in.

By the way, I'm interviewing Steven Schirripa tomorrow at the Waterbury Palace in Connecticut tomorrow evening. Any questions youse want me to ask him?

I've also read that a Sopranos movie is NOT a possibility. I think it was Aida or Dominic that stated it.

18. signothetimes53

I suspect strongly that Christopher is in big trouble with Tony.

Tony alluded to it in the boat with Bobby, talking about this other guy he's been counting on who is "going another way." Couple that with Tony hanging up on Christopher when he called to wish Happy Birthday....I'd say Tony is NOT happy that Christopher sold his screenplay "Cleaver" to Hollywood.

Methinks Christopher may get whacked before Bobby does. Remember, when Christopher became a "made man," Tony said once you take this oath, you can never leave.

At least not alive, anyway.

If Christopher has gone Hollywood, that poses a big problem for Tony.

19. musicalbeds

I think Bobby will be fine, it was more about the possibilities of it than it actually happening.... I think it's a dead end that was done for colour and depth; it gives Bobby more reason to resent Tony than if things had gone smoothly.

Christopher's definitely not in Tony's good books...he missed T's birthday completely, it was a belated call, and the chat in the boat shows Tony's looking at other options.

Plus, I don't think the heroin use ended in the first half, so I think Christopher's gonna be the big tragedy we see, which will affect Carmela adversely, causing Tony even more grief.

Did anyone notice the duck flying in the scene where Tony's sitting by the water? More symbolism from the first season.

20. signothetimes53

The duck flew behind Tony, but the cut shot looking forward across the water, we didn't see the duck. Was it real, or Tony's imagination? Neat moment.

21. There was another "duck" moment, when Bobby and Janice's daughter was sitting at her play table singing a song about ducks. The theme of the song was about ducks being eliminated one at a time, can't remember the lyric.
    I've been anticipating the return of the duck motif. We need a duck smilie for monents like this! :cool:

22. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

Christopher's situation will be getting worse. I read a newswire story this morning saying that the second episode will feature Tony getting very angry with Christopher for the portrayal of a character in his movie that Tony believes is based on him.

This is just the build up that's been coming for the last two seasons to everyone having a motive to whack someone or be whacked. last night it was Bobby and Christopher. I think our heads will be spinning by the last two episodes as to who is going to whack who.

Last night was a great example of what's really great in the Soprano's. Compared to other shows and movies it does not appear to have a lot going on yet it is gripping.

23. rene smalldridge

Myself I can see the Sopranos ending a few different ways. My wife thinks Tony will either go to prison or get whacked. And then Bobby will take over the reigns with Tony's sister pulling the strings. And Christopher. I think he's gonna be taking a long walk off a short pier. As for leaving things unresolved for a future movie, well, I really don't think that's in the cards.

24. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I heard the duck very clearly when Tony was looking out into the lake but when the camera shot was from Tony's point of view looking out into the lake, I couldn't see it. If it was behind him, that would make more sense. I expected Tony to take out his assault rifle birthday present to shoot it, but, no duck.

Yeah, the nanny was singing the "4 baby ducks and 1 went away" nursery song (don't remember the name of the song).

Again, I agree (from what I've read and heard) that a lot is going to happen by the end, or at the end. It really keeps my attention to every detail, as opposed to last year when is made a left turn.

25. rene smalldridge

I liked the left turn the show took last year. With Tony's demonic mother waiting for her sonny boy in the hellhouse. Who knows? Maybe Tony will be paying her a visit in the final episode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.