The Sparks Brothers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hybrid_77, Jan 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

On Tuesday 'The Sparks Brothers' took in $32,770 for a 5 day total of $341,595 in 534 theaters. Not bad in the post Covid age. 534 theaters are probably 5 times it would have opened in before Covid. The film got booked in may more places that it would have. I saw it at City Place in White Plins NY that in the past would never have booked an 'arthouse' documentary. The Rita Moreno doc is also playing there.[/QUOTE]

It probably won't make its money back though I doubt Edgar cares as it was a Labour of love.

2. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Honestly, it's weird that you care.

vince likes this.
  3. Did it at least confirm that they’re actually brothers? :)

4. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

I'm with Veronica, can't help but wonder if it's going to make money when the theater was almost empty. Somehow it got a second weekend at my theater.

Veronica Mars likes this.
  5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You, sir, have made me laugh!
    and, I thank you.

6. Danby Delight

One of Ron's funniest reactions is in answer to that very question!

Dudley Morris likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's in the trailer.

Q: Are you brothers?
    A: We are brothers.
    Q: How did you first meet?
    A: We are brothers.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That's the first time I've heard that Sparks cover of I Want to Hold Your Hand.

I kind of like it. I mean, sure, it's intentionally playing against the brash top 40-ism of the Beatles' original. And I can't be sure if it's meant ironically. But it's at worst interesting.

9. pierogy

pierogy Forum Resident

Police Squad called. They want their joke back!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Never heard of 'em.

I had to google it to find out if it's fiction.

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I definitely want to see it again on Blu and show my wife this under appreciated group.

Tyler Chastain likes this.
  12. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

There was so much to cover--50 years!!

I enjoyed every minute while I was watching it.

In retrospect, I wish it could have dug a little deeper into some of their lyrics. I have always maintained that the Mael Brothers were too damn smart for rock n' roll. If they had instead focused on writing songs for Broadway, they would be getting their Kennedy Center Awards right about now.

I loved seeing the interviews with Muff Winwood and Tony Visconti. (I would argue that "Indiscreet" is their best album, and "It Ain't 1918" made a statement in 1975 about refusal to change that anticipated the next 40 years of FM Album Rock Radio.

Also loved the discussion on the Propaganda album artwork. Yes, what a great concept/story--all in the visuals. Love the phone off the hook, it just says so much.

I could have gone for more information on the Lil' Beethoven album. What a brilliant work that was. Songs like "Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls" (or the earlier "Looks, Looks, Looks") convey some of life's more brutal realities, and make you laugh as they do so.

Since Ron's (I've always called it a "Chaplin") mustache was discussed, I think there should have been something on the change in style. A short film of the earlier one being shaved (with some fanfare) was shown at the start of one of their shows at the Whiskey, around the time of Angst In My Pants.

Also: The early albums with the line, "Fan Club Secretary: Mary Martin" No mention of that. There's a story I'd like to hear about.

Al Smith, DISKOJOE and Veronica Mars like this.
  13. Danby Delight

"Mary Martin" was a pseudonym for their mom, who really did run their fan club.

Rupe33 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. pierogy

pierogy Forum Resident

That's the only fan club I ever joined! Maybe I have some of those old newsletters in a box somewhere. And Kimono My House is the only album I ever wore out and had to replace.
    When I saw FFS in Philadelphia, Ron came out on stage after the show to reveal the little-known fact that their father was from Philly.

Rupe33, RickH and numer9 like this.
  15. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

That answers that question.

Since their songs were so clever, I always imagined that the Mary Martin--the one who played Peter Pan and was also Larry Hagman's mom--somehow knew the Mael brothers and wanted to promote them by listing herself as their biggest fan.

16. Veronica Mars

I'm not 100% sure but didn't Mary pass away?

17. Veronica Mars

I just read Mary Martin was a pseudonym used by their mother who ran their fan club!

Rupe33 likes this.
  18. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

When I saw The Thing in the cinema in 1982 I was all by myself. It was great :)
    Seeing as there’s no chance of seeing it on the cinema round here I’ll def be getting the Blu Ray of the Sparks film.

Veronica Mars likes this.
  19. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

I liked the segment that covered the 2008 series of shows in London where they performed all their albums, in order of release.

The amount of work that it took to re-learn and rehearse every one of their songs (including B-sides!) from their entire catalog makes the whole project an unbelievable feat.

That event alone could have been the subject of a documentary feature.

20. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

Great comment, although possibly Tim Burton got evil villain status for stringing the guys along for 6 years re the Maya script then bailing out.

21. Chris DeVoe

If this were a Hollywood movie, the actual villain would wear a cape and mask and be called "Turnaround."

They didn't know how the game was played, which is that you do nothing on spec.

Al Smith likes this.
  22. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The Pet Shop Boys comment was interesting. Apparently Neil Tennant has never acknowledged the influence of Sparks on their music. But I see Vince Clarke and Andy Bell of Erasure did appear in the movie.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  23. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

I didn't know about it until I saw the film! Unfortunately, they barely mentioned the album that was being promoted at that time, "Exotic Creatures of the Deep", which is one of my favorite latter day Sparks albums.

24. Chris DeVoe

It's still open here in Kansas City, and we'll see it again tomorrow.

25. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

I saw it at noon two days ago. There was one other guy in there, who left just as they were discussing the recording of Kimono My House. (!!)

What kind of Sparks fan would do that??

He came back awhile later, and left not long after that. My guess is that he had a Regal pass that let him see anything and everything.

So I had the place to myself. Since it was my first time going to the movies since Covid, that was OK.

In retrospect, it didn't occur to me that I could have stood up and danced if I wanted to!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.