The Spongetones

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Mar 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member Thread Starter

The Spongetones were originally on Ripete Records. The RI in Ripete is a great friend of mine from Elliott SC. They released some great music on vinyl. Black Vinyl picked up the rights to The Spongetones stuff when CDs became avail. Beat and Torn should not be missed. Jamie Hoover is the lead singer and songwriter and currently resides near Charlotte NC--an incredible sound from guys from the Carolinas.

Ripete continues to operate to this day specializing in the Carolina Beach R/B music with several box sets avail.

Dr. Winston OBoogie

2. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

It was at a nightclub in Greenville NC c.'82/83 when I first saw the SpongeTones and I bought their album soon after. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears that night they played at the Attic. That's been nearly 20 years ago and yes this album is a cult classic. If the 1980's had a Revolver this would be it. I got an e-mail from Jaime Hoover a few months back, a real nice guy and very talented as was the whole group. I've been singing praises of this band for a long time and when I'd play the album or CD for people their jaws would hit the floor. Thanks for the info Dr. Winston.

Attached Files:

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'd like to hear this.

By the way, Tele, you have a cool avatar!

4. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Steve, whenever you do hear it you're gonna flip. Hopefully Holy Zoo can round up one of the CD-R versions so you can treat your ears to it.

Thanks for the compliment on the avatar, it came from the owners manual of my Telefunken stereo.

5. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Hey, I've been a Spongetones fan for YEARS.

That "Beat and Torn" Cd is just AMAZING. Its the "Lost 1964 Beatles Album That Never Came Out".

It will remind you of A Hard Days Night in a lot of ways.

The really amazing thing is the Production. Its obvious that these guys disected THe Beatles early LPs and duplicated all the little production touches that make The Beatles Lps special.

I agree, a MUST have!!

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Are these CD's in production? Can someone give me the label information - distributor - anything?

7. Dr. Winston

Spongetones CDR

I'll soon have a really good compilation Spongetones disc that I can make CDR's of for my Hoffman website friends just for the asking. Should have very very soon---including a very hard to get promo only Christmas 2001 disc they put out---guaranteed a splendid time for all.

Dr. Winston---send me your e-mail if interested.

8. Dr. Winston

Attn: Steve Hoffman

Steve,

If you still want a copy I'd be happy to make one up and send your way--send me a pm with address. Thanks.

Dr. Winston

9. Mike

Mike New Member

Beat & Torn was a reissue on Black Vinyl of material originally issued on Ripete, it's now out of print - I guess the license expired. The other Black Vinyl releases are available at www.blackvinyl.com. Btw, this label is owned by The Shoes.

10. Dr. Winston

Spongetones-Beat and Torn

Beat and Torn is now available as a CDR at www.spongetones.com. Beatle fans of 1964-1965 should definitely put this one on the want list. Highly highly recommended. Check the website for all the other goodies available.

11. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Spongetones

I'm pretty sure that the Spongetone Hoover used to tour and
    possibly record with Don Dixon and Marti Jones. As I recall he was
    very talented. So much for my first post...
    Peace

12. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Teaser5,

Jamie Hoover did tour as a backup musician with Marti Jones/Don Dixon. I saw them several times and even had the pleasure to meet Jamie on one occasion. By the way, Jamie Hoover released a solo CD, "Coupons, Questions and Comments" in the early '90's, and has also released two power pop CDs in the mid to late '90's with Bryan Shumate as The Van Delecki's; yet he has remained a Spongetone since their inception.

HeavyDistortion

13. teaser5

Jamie Hoover

Heavy D:
    I should've known that a fellow Marylander would have the 911.
    Thanks much!
    Peace,
    Norm

14. teaser5

Spongetones

Or maybe that's the 411... 911 is a car...oops

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.