The Stooges - Goose Lake 1970 to be released August 7, 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve-oh, Jun 10, 2020.

1. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Examples?

ceynon, AZRunner and Dreaddazzman like this.
  2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It can take 50 years to find just the right old farmhouse that happens to have a soundboard recording of Iggy & the Stooges at Goose Lake in their basement.

He moved out of Detroit for that plastic, trendy, hipster enclave of........................Nashville! We haven't forgiven him yet.

mr.datsun, glide and Dudley Morris like this.
  3. citizensmurf

Hmm interesting. I've always been curious about rare tapes that were "not for trade", and haven't yet made it into the digital trading circles. Makes you wonder what other treasures are out there in the hands of a few.

LC4O and TheLoveDrags like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well if was going to happen it would have...no tapes of live shows? I can't figure out why their best album gets the least respect in the reissue Stooges world.

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think it’s interesting that the bloke who discovered the Cale mix said that he realised when he first took the tape to Rhino that there was no great expression of interest from them in The Stooges archival projects back then. But we got one in the end.

What would you like to see happen?

TheLoveDrags and Michael like this.
  6. Michael

a huge The Stooges-The Stooges 1969 CD box set with Live, Outtakes, Alternates bonus tracks! I'll be the first in line...I love the first album best...it was mind-blowing in 1969!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

John Lee Hooker.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Oh baby. I am so ready for this.

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Ok - but aside from live material, I think we’ve had this boxset. The one with the single, the album, the cale mixes, and the alternative takes. Maybe we’ll get another as the Stooges early music rises in stature, but who knows? I cant imagine there’s too much out there left that we don’t have.

10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Well. Once a bloke started hanging around the Velvet Underground forum who claimed to have a copy of The Velvet Underground Cale-era Gymnasium ‘other’ set tape with the famous unheard VU version of Walk It and Talk It. The one where Cale described Lou’s guitar playing as ‘killer’. So when this bloke kept saying he had it and we kept asking for it, he disappeared.

Matthew Tate and DeeThomaz like this.
  11. Michael

Fair enough...I'll go for the live material!

mr.datsun likes this.
  12. citizensmurf

Yeah, hard to tell if someone is just trolling or actually has something. I recall years ago, same forum and this one person slowly leaked the Warhol rehearsal tape from the museum. One track was held back for a while, and of course it eventually came out on the VU&N box, but at the time interesting.

There was also some guy a youtube claiming to have a tape of the missing Willie Brown 78, but could offer no proof despite Tefteller offering thousands for one.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

He was a nice guy. Is a nice guy. He's still around. Used a special alias for that. I think he had the recordings for a while before he was given the all-clear to go public with it. It was a pretty exciting time.

re. Willie Brown. I can understand it happening. I've discovered the existence of a totally unknown stereo live soundboard tape of a well-known UK 70s experimental band. I've tracked down the taper and have a sample, but still not been able to go and hear the whole tape. As with this Stooges recording, it takes time.

Matthew Tate and citizensmurf like this.
  14. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

There's this famous punk band in Brazil named Cólera. In 1990 they played in Curitiba, where I live, and I just happened to have a cassette in my pocket. I gave it to the guy in the mixing board and asked him to record it. The did, and until now my cousin and I are the only people who have it. Not the Stooges or Velvet Underground but I wonder how many times things like this used to happen back in the day.

15. citizensmurf

Yeah, I get the whole mystique thing about rare tapes, but at the same time when it is people holding onto the tapes who aren't the artist, I question the rationale. If they are hoarding the tapes for hope of a large payment, that's kind of a dick move. Like having a famous painting in a private collection; it is legitimately yours, but wouldn't it be best if the public could see it too?

mr.datsun likes this.
  16. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I have aunts & uncles who attended the Goose Lake festival. There was film crew on site, and this tape could be related to that. It seems they were hoping to make it an annual event and turn the footage into a film (like the Woodstock film) but it didn't come to pass.

It'd be awesome if some of the other sets turned up, too - MC5, Bob Seger, Faces, etc.

I've only ever seen a couple minutes of Stooges footage, but you can find it here:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  17. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Just noticed that the official blurb claims that the recording is stereo..... T.V. Eye is 100% mono. How strange - why make any reference like that if it's not true?

18. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

Yes ,what other recordings ? exemples like these Both Reel-to Reel Tapes:
    The Doors Warehouse in New Orleans. 12 DEC 1970
    Genesis Essen Grugahalle 11 May 1975

19. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

I know the feeling, there was a guy on a Stooges forum (I think it may even have been facebook) who claimed to have a 1971 tape of the 5-man lineup that's better quality that what's circulating. Then HE disappeared.

A decent audience tape or soundboard from that lineup- Ron and James both on guitar, Jimmy Recca on bass - would be my "Stooges holy grail". Especially since most of the songs they played in 1971 never made it into the studio. There's been new tapes issued a few years ago that were a bit of an upgrade, but still leave a bit to be desired.

20. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Iggy ate him.
    Unfortunately we have to asume that the tape was destroyed in the process.

Flippikat and Beefalo like this.
  21. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Indie vinyl variant with screen printed cover is popping up online for pre order in indie stores...

22. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Anyone know what the entire set list was for this Goose Lake show? Have to believe they did more than just Funhouse but maybe not?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

This is my favorite Iggy song.

Only know 2.

24. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Or you could just read the first post in the thread.

Matthew Tate and bobdylansbarber like this.
  25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I imagine some people have some treasures and never reveal them.....then they die and the kids just trash the boxes of old dusty tapes. :doh:

Matthew Tate and mr.datsun like this.