The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

2.3-310 installed 27 days ago

2. Dischord

Dischord Well-Known Member

Thanks! Found it!

3. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Interesting. I have noticed zero speed problems and I am in the long process of digitizing all of my LPs so my SC-2 gets content use. Normally when reading that, I might think it could be related to the O/S being used on the software. I am using the Mac version of the software and this time around there could be a hiccup that affects only the Windows version. I said normally, because someone mentioned using the SC hardware being sluggish. I never use my SC this way but that would eliminate it being an O/S related problem.

4. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I use new iPad and also never had any issues with speed. I actually like those meters, and they confirmed what I heard "by ear" in terms of input level (-6db the best for my preamps.. ).

5. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

You're welcome. But do remember: it seems to lag minutes behind the music so it is a bit questionable as to its usefulness and accuracy. I used it to check my settings for a few highly dynamic LPs. After testing, I did set my levels back to 0db from -6db as a result. It showed I had enough headroom. I plan to check it again with the next firmware update.

6. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Definitely the SugarCube itself. One minute it's nice and snappy, then upgrade, and suddenly sluggy. This is SC1+, for me. Perhaps there's something happening on that platform that doesn't affect the SC2.

7. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

Yeah the sluggishness affects the unit directly, selecting repair strength with the rotary knob lags whereas it was almost immediate with the prior firmware. I'm more concerned about why my unit produces no sound when I do a factory reset.

As I understand it you have to hold the pairing button and power on until the lights start flashing in sequence, then reboot. Is this the correct method for the SC-1 Mini?

8. YourMainDude

YourMainDude Forum Resident

Fresh SC-1 Plus owner here. Unit is very, very good - but not perfect. Didn't jump into this expecting anything more...

Some repetitive surface noise isn't being removed (repaired), even @ max setting.

9. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Define "repetitive surface noise"... The SugarCubes are designed to remove clicks and pops and not surface noise, although the SVNR on your unit can attempt to do so. Have you tried it?

10. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I will second what @r.Din said. It is great with removing clicks pops but what you seem to be describing falls into the category of surface noise. The SVNR can remove some types of surface noise, but that process can be lossy. The SVNRs primary usage was intended to be surface noise on 78's and certain types of tape hiss. Evidently it can be used on a limited basis on other types of surface noise on more modern recordings, but Sweet Vinyl downplays that aspect of it.

11. YourMainDude

Repetitive 'hash' from a bad press, at least on new pressings. Think: a grouping or multitude of smaller ticks and clicks... like the stylus is running over fine sand paper in small, periodic (rotational) bursts.

Not complaining here, just pointing out that the SC is 'time domain' limited.

I'm thoroughly enjoying what this 'box' does well...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    WDeranged likes this.
  12. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Non-fill and stitching? Yeah, the SC can attenuate that a little in my experience, but not remove it.

Any non-fill or stitching on a new record and it gets returned. Of course, not always possible to then get a replacement without it either :/

13. YourMainDude

What is "non-fill" ?

14. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

It's where the warm vinyl doesn't fully press into the stamper. You get tiny bubble gaps in the walls of the grooves.

YourMainDude likes this.
  15. YourMainDude

Ah OK. Thx!

16. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Here's some major non-fill (all the white lines/spots) and stitching on a record I bought recently. Went back. Replacement was better but still present - I suspect the entire press was bad and will keep an eye out for a future repress :/

[​IMG]

hobbes4444 likes this.
  17. YourMainDude

Can any of that be mold release compound ?

18. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

Unlikely. No one is 100% sure if release compound is even a real thing. Though after much doubtfulness I think that cleaning new vinyl is beneficial to the sound. Dunno if it's the fabled release compound or just dirty factories.

19. YourMainDude

LOL... you can't be serious. Vinyl stamping release agents are not fables.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  20. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I'm saying that I'm not sure either way and no one has provided incontrovertible proof.

Can you tell me what chemical is used?

21. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

No idea. Would be interested to know how this occurs. All I know is that it sounds like sandpaper if you try to play it and it's the worst example I've ever seen.

YourMainDude likes this.
  22. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Some of the worst problems I have had with non-fill were with the BlueNote Classic Reissues series which is rather ironic considering they were putting an emphasis on the great sound of that series. The first 6 months or so were very problematic for me. I had 5 returns I made for non-fill. I may put up with 1 brief instance of it, but no more. I've noticed the much less on later disks in the series and the pressing plant seems to have upped their game. I also noticed they have recently gone from paper inner sleeves to poly-lined anti-static inners. Nicely played. The other place where non-fill has been a problem for me is the RSD releases.This is bad because you are faced with a decision to put up with it or get your money back because a replacement may be impossible to get.

Unfortunately the SC can do little with non-fill because it was not built for that.

As for cleaning new vinyl, I typically run it through my ultrasonic cleaner. I have experimented off and on with skipping it on a given LP because I am impatient to hear it. I always end up washing it after that first play and it always sounds at least the same or better. I also figure if it does remove some random grit or dirt that is one less thing the SC has to do. I made custom field in Discogs for "Cleaned". Plus where I am in the process of digitizing most of my LPs I want the needle drop to sound the best the it can.

23. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I've had a few rare instances with recent Blue Notes, but less so than other labels. Some pressing plants, eg MPO, seem to suffer more than others...

ALWAYS clean records prior to play. Basic hygiene.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  24. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Agreed. Even the few times when I skip the ultrasonic cleaning because I can't even wait the 8 minutes that takes, I still clean them. I hit them with the Destat III and a carbon fiber brush. I might add rare exception this is only for new high quality pressings. Used records always get cleaned in the UCM. Also for all records new or old, I visually inspect each side to look for any major problems that are lurking in the grooves or on the surface before placing them in the UCM or when I take them out of the inners to play them.

r.Din likes this.
  25. CustardGun

CustardGun Well-Known Member

I've just received my SC-1 Mini today. First impressions were very good. I tried some known problem LPs and they sounded excellent, and I listened to them all the way through using headphones which I would never have been able to do previously. After listening to a couple of albums, I thought I'd set up the Wi-Fi adapter and check for firmware updates (it came with 2.2-526 installed). The Android app wouldn't allow me to set it up, but I was able to hardwire it I to the router and set up the Wi-Fi adapter using Chrome on my PC. It was a bit finicky but I soon got it sorted. I saw there was a firmware update available to 2.3-310, so I downloaded it and updated. That's when the problems started which mirror the issues others here have reported. Firstly I started hearing the crackling in the left channel. A reboot sorted it, but it soon came back. Secondly, the device is lagging, with music carrying on for 20-30 seconds after the stylus hits the runout groove. I've factory reset and am back on the original firmware it shipped with. The lag has gone, and so far I haven't had the crackling in the left channel return. I think I'll keep it off the Internet for the time being and skip this firmware update.

WDeranged and gabbleratchet7 like this.