The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

As far as I know, yes. The click removal capability is exactly the same across all models.

The SC-2 doesn't seem to be affected by this left channel clicking issue. Knowing this in retrospect I'd have skipped the first gen.

2. YourMainDude

YourMainDude Forum Resident

SV not responding to emails.

3. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Hmm.. for how many days?

4. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I don't think the click & pop removal varies from model to model (if the software release of the machine is up to date)... at least there's no indication that it does.

- Kevin

5. YourMainDude

18 and counting ...

6. Old Zorki II

may be lost email...

7. YourMainDude

To Dan, Leo and their general Info account. Doubt it.

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

In such a case, is it perhaps the way it was phrased or the tone that might've contributed to that?

9. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I've had it for 2 months now. It's been solid for me too.

10. ltusler

ltusler Forum Resident

same here ^

11. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I'm really concerned that the company is just going to vanish. The idea really puts me off sending my SC-1 back to California (from the UK) to be repaired or replaced.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  12. Old Zorki II

Have you tried
    [email protected] ?

13. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

They're extremely inconsistent with their email support. Sometimes I've waited a month. Sometimes they reply within ten minutes.

14. YourMainDude

Apparently true.

I've pinged them all; the two main dudes who were pretty prompt during and soon after the whole Indiegogo parade as well as the info & support accounts. Digging further, I've noticed that their Facebook has been pretty much dead for years. From the looks of it - regardless of the price point - this company is like a garage outfit.
    They even use a Google phone number ...

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

My understanding is that this is something that is done on top of their regular job. If that is still the case, they might merely be overwhelmed.

Tony A. likes this.
  16. Johnny Formica

Johnny Formica Forum Resident

My Sugarcube SC-1 seems to have stopped working.
    When I turn it on I get just the blue screen with blocks along the top.
    I have tried the factory reset (power on whilst holding the pair button) but nothing happens.
    I've emailed sweetvinyl and hopefully will hear back from them soon.

17. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Unfortunately if you read the posts above this you may not hear back soon. I hope that you do.

Johnny Formica likes this.
  18. 926am

926am Senior Member

Is the left channel clicking some people are reporting an issue with just the earlier models or across the board (including the new ''mini'' models)? I have an original sc1. I Never noticed this issue but haven't listened for it either....

19. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

If external attempts to reboot fail, you can try the internal reboot method.

These instructions came from SweetVinyl when I had similar problem.

1. Unplug unit from power source,
    2. Remove 4 rear screws.
    3. Remove gold nuts, washers,
    4. Carefully remove back panel and turn slightly downward.
    5. Slide top off towards back.
    ----
    1. Once you do this you will need to plug power back into the 12v connector with the switch off.
    2. Turn power on and observe if there are lights on the small cpu board with a heatsink when you turn the power on.
    3. If you see lights on it when you switch power on it is likely the 5v supply feeding the CPU is good - if there are no lights then we may have lost the 5volt due to a voltage spike.
    4. If you do see a small blue light on the side than we can try to have you locate the white button that is a hard switch we have seen hang on the units. Turn the 12 Volt power off - then turn it back on with the white button depressed until the blue light turns off.
    5. If step 4 works to turn power off try turning off power and back on for the SugarCube and see if the SugarCube boots.
    6. If nothing above works and if the unit looks to have no 5volt power to the CPU we will have to investigate how to get you a board installed to replace the motherboard.
    7. If you are able to boot the unit - please re-assemble following steps 1-5 in reverse order.

20. Johnny Formica

Johnny Formica Forum Resident

Many thanks for sharing this, I really appreciate your help.
    I shall give this a try later today and let you know how I get on.

r.Din likes this.
  21. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I suspect it's more common with SC-1 and SC-1 mini models. I don't think I've seen anyone with an SC-2 complain about it.

926am likes this.
  22. Old Zorki II

After playing a single side I can sometimes detect now minute clicking, and always after playing 3-4 records.. On my Tascam digital recorder it is shows as -60db clicks on left channel. I can hear them slightly if I put my ear to the mouth of my horn (106db sensitivity). Very difficult to detect with music. I am still doing 2 clicks on bypass trick after every side if do recording for archival purpose (works, tascam does not detect anything, and he is connected to digital out).

23. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

If you're only hearing it in the left channel that would be the same issue I have. Though I've had a really bad run of it lately. SC-1 Mini.

24. Old Zorki II

And clicking twice on bypass fixing it?

25. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

Sometimes it does. Often it doesn't. According to Leo at Sweetvinyl this indicates that my board has a fault and needs to be returned to them.