The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

The only minor point to add to this excellent description is that the SC-1 Plus has a Digital Output for external recording (ex: sending the treated output signal digitally into recording software on a connected PC or Mac, thereby skipping the final conversion back to analog, which is done for the signal coming out of the regular audio outputs).

- Kevin

2. bruckner9

bruckner9 Forum Resident

My "SC-1 Mini" arrived on Monday. Used it last night for a short time. Haven't yet gotten the Android app paired up with the unit yet, so couldn't do any A-B testing from across the room...but from what i could tell, it does what it's supposed to do. Couldn't really hear any difference between the on and off of it, in terms of sonic degradation. But again, lots more testing to be done here. So far, so good! It'll definitely be of use...i can already see (hear) that. (btw....owned the SAE tick/pop remover way back in the day, and what i can tell so far, this one is light years ahead.)

3. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Got a message that mine is on it's way and will be shipped this week...

keiron99 likes this.
  4. bruckner9

bruckner9 Forum Resident

So did my neighbor, who I talked into buying one of these. He's a tick-and-pop freak, so this will make his listening experience a LOT more enjoyable. He's so bad about it that he actually listens FOR the ticks/pops...pointing them out at every turn. lol I continually 'suggest' that he tries listening to the actual MUSIC...but to no avail.

Ben Adams and Dane Argentini like this.
  5. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I’m looking forward to hearing one of these things some day.

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Regarding synthetic drums, I just listened to the reissue of RABIES by Skinny Puppy through my SC-1 and none of the drums or other synth textures were detected as pops.

Hogues likes this.
  7. Joel Cairo

Ben:

You've been updated to Version 2.0, correct? If so, how's "Mouth to Mouth"? (The one you previously had some trouble with...)

- Kevin

8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The Lipps Inc? I’ll need to find it!

9. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Just got sc-1 mini, but have to leave for business trip, will check only in 2 weeks... Darn!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Is anyone else running version 2.0 on an original SC-1?

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Kevin, I just realized I missed this part of your post. I actually don't know if I was updated or not - I never saw a notification on the display, and I haven't gone through the steps necessary to check the version recently. But we ARE in the timeframe SweetVinyl was originally promising.

I need to check!

12. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

How do you check what version you're on?

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I believe it was posted earlier in this thread?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  14. Joel Cairo

Yes-- Dig My Groove mentioned how to find it near the end of Page 21:

"For the software version, if you press the Bypass button for a few seconds your screen should display the software version. Best in mind I have an SC-2 so your SC-1 version number will not match mine.

On the App you can see the version number when the device is in use processing the music. When idle it did not let me see the version."

- Kevin

Strat-Mangler, keiron99 and Ben Adams like this.
  15. Joel Cairo

Strat-Mangler and Ben Adams like this.
  16. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

My SC-1 is still on original firmware... so no update yet...

17. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

After checking, I can see my SC1 is still on the original too.
    Do you have to register somewhere to get updates though?

18. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Don't believe so. The unit will auto-update when an update is available. From what I understand, the 2.0 software should become available once the new models are shipped...

19. Joel Cairo

Which is apparently just starting to happen, as people are now receiving their SC-1 Minis... I'm not quite sure where I got the idea that the Version 2.0 software had already been released to the older units-- sorry for the confusion!

And with the 1st of November upon us, I would guess that there's an update coming shortly from Dan on the progress with the other new models.

- Kevin

20. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

I'm heading to the Capital Audio Show tomorrow. Sugar Cube is supposed to be there, and is among the companies I want to spend some time with. I'll see what sales has to say about products and software updates.

21. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Eagerly awaiting shipping news on my SC1-Plus...

22. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Just restarted my SC1 and it’s no longer processing sound?! Bypass works fine, so cabling is good, but when I active processing or click monitor all I get is silence. Suggestions?!

23. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Sorted. Just turned the dial on the front of the SC1 and, hey presto, sound again. What a relief!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    uzn007, Hogues and Strat-Mangler like this.