The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Stereolove

Stereolove Forum Resident

Great story.

Dave Mac likes this.
  2. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I’m interested in the SC-1 Mini since it’s the least expensive, and I don’t want to have to deal with the headache of firmware/software issues that I’ve read about on this thread.
    A couple of questions:
    Do all of the SC units use the same pop and click removal algorithm? In other words, does the SC-1 Mini work as well as the SC-2 Plus in this regard?
    Can you use these units without being tied into the internet, and just plug and play forever, or will unit malfunction if not receiving firmware/software updates?

Dave Mac likes this.
  3. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Retired Sophisticated Gentleman Of Leisure

I've had my SC-1 Mini installed for just a few days. Before though I did connect an extra ethernet cable for a few hours just to see if any updates came through. (Nothing.) According to recent posts it looks like all the units use the same basic "filtering" software but the newer ones have the extra bells and whistles for more computer oriented and recording uses beyond the Mini's "plug 'n play." All I need is the pop and click removal for playback.

One thing I've noticed with my unit is that it seems sensitive to where the AC is plugged in. I had issues with what apparently turned out to be some nasty AC line noise with a particular power strip that had wall warts plugged in, but I moved the Mini's plug to a different strip with less plugged into it and now it seems fine.

Until I find out otherwise I'm just going to periodically plug in the ethernet cable and see what goes. If I'm not having any issues I'm not really going to worry about it.

Dave Mac

Stereolove likes this.
  4. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

FWIW my SC-1 mini is running SugarCube 2.2-532-g2a66aec0-20201206-2034-prod version, and it was installed 28 days ago...

5. Old Zorki II

SC-2 have more powerful processor, better power supply and better DAC/ADC, so at least theoretically it has an advantage. Will it translate in better click removal and even more transparent sound? Do not know if anyone compared them...

6. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

As far as your first question I don't know. I have an SC-2 Mini and I have never heard talk that the click and pop removal software is any different than that found in the Sc-1 Mini. The more powerful processor would make sense because the unit is multi-tasking both recording and and doing the noise reduction. I would imagine there would be some differences in the software for the + units. Where the two noise reduction protocols may need to work simultaneously they could be some tweaks to allow this to happen.

You can definitely use the unit with no internet connection. Unless you set up a separate wifi network for the SC that is not connected to the internet you would lose the ability to control the Sugar Cube remotely via a smart phone, tablet, etc. You would need to set the level of the 2 noise reduction protocols and toggle it On and Off from the front panel of the Sugar Cube. The firmware updates add features and bug fixes. For example the SC-2 Mini originally could store 8 LP sides in the internal storage, later upgrades increased this 10 sides. The unit should certainly run without firmware upgrades indefinitely. You could temporarily hook it up to the internet every so often to get new firmware updates.

Dave Mac likes this.
  7. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

I went for the sc-1 , if i want to record to cdr, I'll just route it to my trusty stand alone burner. I've a few classic noisy Lps I couldn't let go of over the years, First press UK mono and stereo White Albums, 1st press uk Abbey Road's and a few others I am curious to turn this device loose on. Be nice to actually rummage through the 3 and 5 dollar bins at my local used record shops.

Dave Mac and Mintsauce like this.
  8. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Thanks for all the answers, it certainly cleared things up.
    Just one more question. Jim0830 said you don’t have to connect to the internet. Does that mean ever, even at initial startup?
    I’m looking at the no frills SC-1 Mini because, I don’t need the SVNR or remote control features. And I have absolutely no patience for dealing with internet (old age) and would probably be happy with the software already installed, since I’ve heard such great comments. I’ll just record to my good-old Phillips stand-alone CD burner that is still going strong!
    I just want to plug and play. That’s all!
    LOL
    Thanks again guys.

9. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident Thread Starter

You do not have to connect to the internet for normal operation. You will have to connect via the WiFi dongle or direct ethernet connection in order to update the software (should that be necessary).

10. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Thanks.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  11. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Absolutely right. I'll elaborate slightly here. The only potential hiccup with not connecting to the internet is if you did have a tech support issue, the standard first reply of companies is: "Are you running the latest version of the firmware?". Often they may have fixed the issue, or at least thought so. But you are here so you must have internet connectivity of some sort, so in a pinch if you had an issue you could connect it long enough to do so.

For me the most of the major issues I had with the SC-2 were associated with recording and the were work-arounds. These issues have been corrected a long time ago and would not affect you. The left channel clicking issue is the only issue I had that would have been a problem on the SC-1 Mini too. That has been pretty much fixed for me since late August and I don't seem to listen to the type of music that triggers it. A restart gets me back to square one.

You should be fine @scoutbb with not connecting to the internet. Your unit would ship with recent firmware and you should be able to discover any issues during the trial period and could simply return it.

12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

On the other hand, why return to the manufacturer an item that possibly could be repaired with just a firmware update at home?

13. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Thanks. Of course I would contact SV on line if I had issues.
    Have any of you that own the SC ever have any outside bug/virus issue?
    Maybe it’s just my fear of all the hackers on line, that could introduce some bug that would interfere with the unit’s performance that I would have to contend with.

14. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Simple. The OP was saying he didn't want to fool around with connecting to the internet. I was taking the position to the extreme, If the current firmware had issues for him, he would most likely discover it within the time where he would be able to return the unit if he didn't wish to connect it to the internet.

15. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Hackers typically go for high value targets with lots of users, so I really don't think this will ever describe the Sugar Cube. I would suggest this. Set up the unit for wifi access long enough to check that you have the latest firmware. You can register the unit while you are at it. Then pull the wifi dongle and keep it offline for say a month or so. Then plug the wifi dongle in long enough to check for and download and install any new firmware upgrade. Then go offline again. Repeat as necessary. You could also check in here and ask when the last firmware upgrade was.

16. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I used the wrong term here. I said the OP, I should have said @scoutbb who posted the specific question I responded to. I didn't catch it quickly enough to correct my post. Sorry for any confusion I may have created.

17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Nah, it was clear. No worries.

18. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Thank you Jim0830, and everyone else for their input. Just wish they weren't so damn expensive!! :):)
    I'll pick up the SC-1 Mini soon enough though.

19. Stereolove

After a good week or so of using the unit, I can only say this is THE best thing I have ever bought. It has taken all the stress out of buying new records - especially from overseas - I’m in Australia. It costs a fortune to return items that aren’t accurately described - yes I’m pointing my finger at you Discogs. I bought several used records in the last week - all VG to VG+, and can happily report that they sounded Mint on setting 5. I’m digging out records I couldn’t bare to play, as they were too noisy for my liking. Thank you SweetVinyl !

Jim0830, PATB, Hogues and 4 others like this.
  20. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident Thread Starter

Welcome to the (Quiet) 33 1/3 revolution!

Stereolove and keiron99 like this.
  21. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Mine arrives next week, looking forward to new life for some annoyingly noisy lps.

keiron99 likes this.
  22. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

If a record has groove damage is it able to remove the noise generated by that?

When controlling the unit via iPhone/iPad does the device need a line of sight to the cube? I was thinking of placing the unit inside a cabinet under my turntable.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It’ll only remove pops and clicks - it can’t restore worn grooves. The SVNR on the new units will help with other vinyl noise, but can be destructive to musical information.

The app connects with the SugarCube via your home internet, so line of sight is not necessary.

theMot likes this.
  24. Stereolove

You’re in for a great ride.

25. Old Zorki II

I have a question, more of anal-retentive audiophile type )).
    Did anyone tried to replace included with SC-1 mini switch mode power supply with LPS? Dunno if it somehow change SC-1 sound, but in theory at least should reduce noise "returning" to power system...