The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I have a Farad3 sat here waiting for my SC-1 Plus. I fully expect it to be an upgrade based on my experiences with this supply and other devices.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  2. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Interesting. Farad (and some others) are 3A, the one supplied with my SC-1 mini is 4A. SC-1 plus apparently the same. Do you think 3A (15W) will be sufficient?

3. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Yes, I’m sure that’ll be fine. Voltage is, I think, the thing you need correct more than amps. Less amps is safer than more amps I guess or you might blow something if too much power arrives too quickly.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  4. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Well, I will wait for your impression on improvements...

5. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Well, I wait for the SC1 Plus... :)

But I will certainly post my impressions. I did try an SoTM with my current SC1 but it picked up a load of noise from the supply and I couldn’t move it far enough away. I used to have another power supply running nearby without issue, so I’m assuming the SoTM was at fault and the much better Farad3 will play nicely. Certainly no issues with the other Farad3’s I use.

6. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I am thinking of getting one, but can't decide between the SC1-mini and SC1 plus. I will only use it occasionally, for those #$%^ "NM" used LPs I did not bother returning. I am thinking of getting the SC1 plus, simply for the newer technology, but I like the form-factor of the mini better.

7. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

My SC-1 mini arrived today. I'll hopefully get it going tomorrow. Can I hook it up straight away, or do I have to register or download anything off the net to get it up and running? Basically just opened the box and checked it out quick. Great day to mess with it tomorrow , no football, and rotten cold weather, so should be no distractions really.

PATB and Matt Richardson like this.
  8. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident Thread Starter

Trust me, you will use it much more than you think you will, and you will be very happy doing so! :agree:

I just put on the RSD colored vinyl reissue of The Jarvis Cocker Record, purchased sealed here in the classifieds. Right from the start, Tick, Tick, Tick. One press of the button and no more noise. I can enjoy the record, and not be irritated at another current day noisy pressing (particularly one I cannot return or exchange). That is the magic!

PATB and Shawn like this.
  9. PATB

Has the "left channel clicks" issue been resolved? I will mainly be playing Jazz records.

I have been trying to get as much info as I can from this now 83-page thread, but can't find a resolution to the left channel clicks, except for rebooting.

10. PATB

Well, I just placed an order for an SC1-mini. Since I am practically their neighbor, I hope they ship my SC1-mini quickly :D

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Mintsauce likes this.
  11. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Should the sc-1 mini work if installed right out of the box? Or do I have to register on line for some additional software to set it up? Not concerned with lp info look up, just the click repair. Right now I am getting no output signal to my Brio amp. Its not the input. I tested it with a cd player and its fine. And I had the line out /rec wired to the Sc-1 input no sound at all with any of the three buttons.

12. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

No. And I don't think it ever will be. It only occurs above level 3 and it's amazing just how effective it is at that low setting.

PATB likes this.
  13. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I've used my Sugarcube at up to 5 or 6. I think the last time I heard the clicking it had been turned up to 8 or 9, but I rarely use it above 5 so I'm not getting the clicking.

Dane Argentini and PATB like this.
  14. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I have my SC-1 on 5 and I've never had any problem with clicking.

Dane Argentini and PATB like this.
  15. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

Likewise, never had a problem on 5.

16. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Still patiently waiting for mine.

17. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

A couple of us have found that Kraftwerk Autobahn, for example, triggers the clicking at 4. See a couple of pages up for discussion on this.

18. PATB

Received my SC1-mini earlier today. It was a breeze to setup, including the WiFi and control from the IoS app (which is pretty bad, but I am not sure I will use it much).

What "triggered" me to buy the unit was the Tone Poet State of the Tenor vol. 1. My copy has the loud pops on the second track of side 1, which have been reported at Amazon and in the TP thread here. I would normally just wait for a repress and buy again, but the repress may be a while. With the SC1-mini, no more loud pops. My unit is set to level 5.

Next up was a Discogs copy of 10,000 Maniacs the Wishing Chair (1985 release). Was supposed to be Near Mint, but upon inspection has "Caldwell" written on the jacket and sleeve and the disk looks and sounds like VG. With the SC1-mini, now sounds better than Mint!

The same story with other crackly albums. Good thing I did not throw or give them away like I usually do.

Satisfied? Heck yah! I can't tell the difference between the unit engaged and bypassed at level 5 (I will try higher settings later). I just wish I bought the unit sooner.

19. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

OMG just hooked the SC-1 into my system. First up, first press UK White Album. Always had the bacon frying effect throughout all four sides. Set on level 5, there is not a used record shop anywhere, that would hear it now, and not sell it as a NM/ to NM plus. Of course the jacket, fold out, and black inners ,are tatty but, just OMG. Gotta dig into a couple original Elvis 50's Lps, that have nice covers, and noisy vinyl.

20. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

A slightly dodgey, but first press UK mono Pepper, now playing NM, Elvis ST original from '56, probably needed a bump up of a couple notches from 5, to maybe 6 or 7, but doing well at VG, or so. This device is amazing. Some Billie Holiday, Golden Years Columbia 6 eye, Columbia Masterworks, Goodman at Carnegie Hall, Beatles Oldies But Goldies. I'll stop because I'm even boring myself, but just an Oh Yeah, I knew I kept some of that compromised vinyl for a reason.

Shawn, SamtheMan, DigMyGroove and 3 others like this.
  21. edbeta1

edbeta1 Well-Known Member

I have used the SAE 5000 Impulse Noise Reduction System and the Burwen/KLH TNE-7000 Transient Noise Eliminator for many years, and while these units were acceptable in their time, they pale in comparison with the Sugar Cube SC-1 Mini, which I have recently received.....The SAE left little "thumps" where the ticks and pops were, and the Burwen/KLH did a somewhat better job of noise reduction, but the SC-1 Mini virtually eliminates them completely to my total (and I'll admit very critical) satisfaction......And I have discovered another aspect of its capabilities......I listen to many FM and Internet Radio programs that broadcast 78 rpm records along with legacy LP tracks, and the SC-1 Mini does the same job eliminating the clicks and pops on the records played on the radio!!!!!.......The design/engineering crew at Sweet Vinyl should get a Grammy Award for the scientific achievement they have accomplished, and they also should allow their technology to be included in the circuitry of other manufacturer's receivers, preamps and amplifiers, much like Ray Dolby did for his similarly successful tape noise reduction system of many years ago.......The device really does allow all my LPs to sound like they are in "mint" condition.....It has made me very glad that over the years I have not been particularly fussy about the condition of my thrift-store and flea-market LP purchases........It is truly amazing...........Bravo, Sweet Vinyl!!!!!.........

WDeranged, JohnO, SamtheMan and 4 others like this.
  22. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Got word today that I'm 4th in line. Mine should ship out by the end of the week!!!

23. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Curious how many forum members own a Sweetvinyl Sugarcube unit?

Jim0830 likes this.
  24. Yellow Rubber Jacket

Yellow Rubber Jacket Forum Resident

I'm patiently waiting to pull the trigger on an SC1-mini. We're about to put a down payment on a house and every dollar counts....but man is it hard to not splurge on this.

25. Louie Belt

Louie Belt Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for my SC-1 Plus that was supposed to ship in December.....come to think of it, they did not put "year" on the announcement. Maybe they meant Dec 2021....or 2022 :)

GuildF512 likes this.