The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I can't see them as well

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Thanks for that. Seems it's a ratio of 50/50 of those who can and can't see them.

I've tried different browsers and ensured to disable any and all extensions; no change.

3. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Thanks to the URL posted I can see that recording interface exists on my original SC1... will have to test whether it works!

4. I can see them. It’s like whether one is a robot or not in Westworld.

5. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I'll copy the pics, and fix them later tonight.

- Kevin

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The problems are probably because the site serving the images does not support https.
    The Chrome browser has gotten more strict about displaying unsecure http content. The current build of Chrome 89 won't display your images. The current build of Firefox 86 will, but a future version probably won't.

7. Old Zorki II

Safari on my iPad shows pics, Chrome on PC does not. I believe you are correct.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  8. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Looks like that is definitely the case. I NEVER use Google Chrome, only Safari and Firefox which both show the images. I installed Chrome which I only uses with my Sugar Cube software ironically enough. Sure enough Chrome does not show them. I just checked my website for another hobby of mine and it does work in Chrome, but several message boards I have posted in related to that hobby do not display the images in Chrome.

This does not sound good. What is the solution? I believe I have the ability to use https on the service that hosts my domain going forward. Am I correct in saying if I was to switch to https, the all the images I have posted on my ftp site for the last 13 years will not work any more? I will have broken the links because the URL will have changed. I certainly can't track down and correct 13 years worth of broken links on several message boards, never mind 3 years worth here.

Thanks for any advice.

9. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

OK-- I think I fixed the post-- the pics on the previous page should be visible now.

- Kevin

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  10. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Thank you but what is the ultimate solution here? I checked my other posts on here in Chrome and they all don't work. Is there a simple fix on my end? I can't track down 13 years of posts on various boards.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

They do now. Thanks! :)

12. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

OK, not to further hijack this thread but there was a resolution to the images not showing up for some folks and showing up for others. I figured I would pass the solution along in case there were others who will suffer from the same issue.

@Ham Sandwich was exactly right: it was an issue where Chrome needs a secure image url (https) to display correctly. I had confirmed for myself earlier today by opening the site in Chrome. Sure enough no images in this message board. I went to some other message boards I frequent and same issue, This sounded like a major problem because I have a web site hosted on an ftp server including a folder full of warehoused images I have posted on various web sites going back 13 years. I know my domain host offers SSL but moving to https would break the links because the file path name changed. I thought there wouldn't be a solution the was backwards compatible.

The solution was actually rather simple and mostly involved me paying for SSL to be added to my domain. The web host installed some software that runs on my domain and provides SSL. It also globally redirects the urls using http:// to the old file which now has a url of https://... I know just enough about all this to be dangerous and it sounded complex. But the tech support person had things up and running in 2-3 minutes. The only thing I had to do was enter a credit card number. So my images posted here should now show in all browsers. Thanks to @Ham Sandwich for identifying the problem.

Joel Cairo and Ham Sandwich like this.
  13. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

And, yes, I just recorded an album with my original SC1 and downloaded a 192/24 rip direct from it's internal memory over the network... nice!

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

So wait. You’re saying an original SC-1 has the internal memory capacity to hold a file until it’s transferred elsewhere on the network?!

15. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Yup. It also recognised the USB stick I put in the back as a location for files. However, I tried to record today to compare to my normal ripping method and the recording interface was "stuck" and I couldn't get it "unstuck", so I couldn't start the recording. I guess a reboot would fix. So, it works. Kind of. I wonder whether this is on the path for official support for the older models?

16. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

My SC1 went offline briefly last night - checked the recording page today and it's no longer accessible... looks like perhaps a patch was pushed out to disable it. Boo.

FrankieP likes this.
  17. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Should’ve disconnect it from the internet and tested it out further.:D

18. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I
    That thought occurred to me, however I control my SC1 over ethernet, so it would have to be connected to do the recording tests and risk a firmware update.

I recognise that it's SweetVinyl's choice as to what features exist on which models, but as the SC1 *is* capable of recording, it would be nice for that to be unlocked at some point.

19. GuildF512

GuildF512 Well-Known Member

Maybe they should offer it as a purchase option. Pay X amount to have recording capability.

Hogues, Old Zorki II and vudicus like this.
  20. Old Zorki II

Yeh, an activation key of sorts, like with any software..

21. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Indeed. I paid the cost of an SC1-Plus (still waiting for it) to "unlock" that functionality...

22. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

I’m fascinated by these devices, but one thing that isn’t explained in the marketing literature and I haven’t seen discussed is just what the purpose is for all the usb ports on the back. Streamer/DAC functionality? Future features?

23. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

The USB ports can/will be used to save recorded files and can/will be used to feed to, or receive from, a DAC. Depends on the model, or at least the functionality that is unlocked on that model...

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  24. Old Zorki II

They can be used for external DACs and Wifi dongle.

r.Din and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  25. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

RE Recording on SC-1 series: I am sure due to the difference in price it is similar, but different, mother boards without the extra amount of built in memory and other components associated with the built-in record function. Then there is the whole thing about support. They would be getting questions about unsupported options on hardware never intended for this purpose.