The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. GuildF512

GuildF512 Well-Known Member

Also are you using the USB 2 interface in the back?

2. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

The SC1+ shows up on the Win7 laptop - but when Windows tries to install a driver it fails. Sweetvinyl confirmed that there is no official driver for Win7 and that I need to find third party support. Have some candidates to try today. Will report if successful.

3. audionic

audionic Member

Have an SC-1 for couple years with no problems until this weekend. I turned the unit on and walked away to let my system warm up. after a couple of hours i returned to find the display at its initial boot up with all blocks lit up but it will not complete boot up. cycle power and same. display immediately goes to all "blocks" and nothing more happens. pushing buttons does nothing. checked 12 volt power ok, even applied a different 12 volt supply, same result. unit does not show up on my network either. i sent a support email sunday and waiting reply but thought i'd reach out to the brain trust to see if anyone else experienced this. hoping i don't have to ship the unit for repair.

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I thought it was recommended to leave the unit on, like a pre-amp? Repeated switching on-and-off can shorten a computer’s lifespan, and that’s exactly what a SC is - a specialized Linux machine. (At least, my memory is that it uses Linux as the OS.)

5. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

There's an internal reset, which may well be the solution. Sweetvinyl will confirm, and supply details of how to go about it.

audionic likes this.
  6. audionic

audionic Member

cool. I’ll wait their response. As for leaving it on, I usually do, but it was storming earlier and our power grid is not very robust. Goes out or flickers or brownout often during storms. -thanks

Ben Adams likes this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Surge protector?

audionic likes this.
  8. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident Thread Starter

My SC-2 went bonkers once a couple of years ago. Sweet Vinyl guided me through a re-set. I had to go back to the original software and then let it update. All's well since then.

gabbleratchet7 and audionic like this.
  9. audionic

audionic Member

I have the system on a PS Audio P5 regenerator. Problem is, when power flickers in quick succession the SC-1 will interrupt mid reboot. And the Aurender really does not like that either. I really wish the P5 would go off line and stay off when that happens.

10. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I have APC UPS before P5 and it solves the issue.
    Actually even PS Audio was not sure it would work before I tried -but it does. P5 would not turn off when just small fraction of sinewave (time needed for APC to turn on), unlike some other power conditioners/surge protectors.

11. Old Zorki II

Sorry, correction - I have Stellar P3, not P5, so no guarantee it would work.

12. audionic

audionic Member

good idea. curious as to what ps audio said about it. could it restrict current in any way? when you review incoming distortion on your P3 is it any higher thru the UPS?

13. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

It would be interesting to know if there was a firmware update that was rolled out over the weekend for the Sc-1 which might have caused the restart to occur. Are there any SC-1 users here who received a firmware update in that time frame?

Since you can't use it just now, have you had it unplugged for several hours or overnight to see if that helps? I had a similar problem with another piece of equipment with an imbedded LINUX OS in it and the manufacture's tech support suggested unplugging it overnight. I was skeptical but to my surprise it worked fine after an overnight rest.

14. audionic

audionic Member

i was wondering the same concerning a failed update. And yes, I have left it on overnight and off overnight a few times. No difference at all. even tried a different 12 volt power supply. i found some instructions for a system reset which entailed holding the "pair" button while activating the power switch with the same result although those instructions were for an SC-2. waiting since sunday for a reply from 2 emails to support. but thanks to all for your responses.

15. audionic

audionic Member

one other possibility is that when i saw the display blocked out, i cycled power.wonder if it may have been in the middle of an update. anyone know if the display activates and turns to all "blocks" during an upgrade.

16. SweetVinyl

SweetVinyl Forum Resident

We have not seen an email to [email protected] - or [email protected] regarding this - please check your email address.

17. audionic

audionic Member

18. audionic

audionic Member

just got a response from support with some excellent detailed suggestions. will try and report back.

Shawn, Tim Albertson and Hogues like this.
  19. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

That's more like my experience with SV support. It has been a while since I needed help from support, but they usually got back to me within a day. Judging by the time stamps on the emails, they were often working late into the night. I hope there is a simple solution to your problem.

Shawn, keiron99 and Hogues like this.
  20. audionic

audionic Member

Support was able to walk me thru resetting CPU. took 15 minutes and my Sugarcube is back up and running. Big thanks to Dan at support. He is awesome. And thanks to those here who offered ideas and support.

Time to spin some vinyl.

21. SweetVinyl

SweetVinyl Forum Resident

Our email for support does not use the domain: sweetwater.com - likely problem.

22. audionic

audionic Member

My above message autocorrected to sweetwateer but rechecking all my emails they were addressed to sweetvinyl. So who knows, but all is good, thanks again!

23. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I've only had to contact tech support once and they were great.

24. Old Zorki II

I doubt it changes anything. When power is fine there is enough current on 1500SMC UPC to supply P3 and then some. Yes, when switches to battery perhaps it will add mucho distortion and sinewave looks ugly- but we have drops of 1 (often less) seconds tops, so its job just not to shut down sensitive components.
    In my neighbourhood in summer due to thunderstorms such drops are daily appearance, and UPC is practically a must for complex systems. As result my Sugacube is always on and does not suffer from "tiny power drops", as well as other sensitive to it equipment is on all the time.

Ben Adams likes this.
  25. audionic

audionic Member

Seems like a good solution. i'll have to research UPS units. Thanks for the suggestion!